What do you think of 'That's How People Grow Up'

What do you think of the brand new Morrissey single, 'That's How People Grow Up'?

• Total voters

Maurice E

I think Houdini's gonna cover the new songs at the end of his 232 song poll. However, as a lot of us are hearing the recorded version for the first time, I thought it'd be interesting to see what we think of it now (also, using a simpler scoring system). The song seems to be picking up a lot of criticism (mainly for the lyrics?) but would be interesting to see what the consensus is.
Let's all have a heated debate!

How many theads do we need to discuss about the song?

Which of the 3 new songs do you like best?
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=76221

The Meaning of "That's How People Grow Up"
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=81776

"That's How People Grow Up" Press Release
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=81957

THPGU single Promo Sleeve: Don't say I never give you anything...
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=81492

There are indeed many threads discussing this song. But these tend to attract a relatively small number of people with very strong views, and it's impossible to work out what the consensus is...

It has grown on me. I don't think it has the best lyrics ever but it's not a bad little tune.

I thought during the tour this past year, and still think, that this is the weakest of the new songs; it always sounded like two completely different songs stuck end to end, unsuccessfully (the verses and the chorus don't get along very well). That said, it sounds a little less dissonant on the recorded snippet I heard. . .but still, just an average track. I gave it a 3.

I much prefer "All You Need Is Me," which I think is the best of the new songs.

--jeniphir

Last edited:
It's alright in my opinon, only heard the recorded version for the first time last night. It's decent enough, I don't think it's going to win over any new fans though. I genuinely can't understand why this is the single and 'All You Need Is Me' isn't. AYNIM is way way better on every level - plus, with all the controversy going on around him at the moment, wouldn't it have been great to have him signing off his next single with "You don't like me but you love me - either way you're wrong. You're gonna miss me when I'm gone".

That would've made my year.

Oh and the production on THPGU is utter tramps cockery. It sounds like an unsigned band blagged some free time at a fancy studio.

4\5. I'm one of the very few people who really like this song.:)

In my opinion "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" is the best of new songs and "Paris" is the weakest.:rolleyes:

How many theads do we need to discuss about the song?

Note that even though you tried to torpedo the thread in the second post, and despite the fact that it's been discussed at least 4 times before, plenty of people still bothered to answer the OP's question in this thread. Doesn't the fact that you may be the only person here who's bothered by seeing topics re-hashed tell you something? It's one thing to provide handy pointers to previous discussions; it's quite another to complain about people not doing their homework before they start a thread. You really are hell-bent on making this place boring.

Last edited:
It's a decent enough song, but only in the mould of Piccadilly Palare, You Have Killed Me and We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successfull. Morrissey did not excel himself with this number and he knows very well that this is a standard song and he is capable of much better, very surprised he chose to release this as a commercial single, still I think he will get a top ten hit from it.

4\5. I'm one of the very few people who really like this song.:)

In my opinion "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" is the best of new songs and "Paris" is the weakest.:rolleyes:

i agree completely. obviously its not the BEST thing he's ever done because he keeps topping himself, clever lad. but i was surprised at how many people didn't really like this; i'm one of those people who has grown weary of IBEH being such a standard of moz's work -- i truly think this rivals it. i wasn't the biggest fan of TYWTML either. but lets just say to each his own. i recognize that the melody of THPGU is recycled in a manner from YHKM and maybe "Do Your Best and DOn't Worry," but idk there's just something about it i really enjoy and am pleased to see as a single. but again, to each his own.

It's just not good enough, musically or lyrically. I find it somewhat farcical that this is on a "Greatest Hits" album. Only slightly more deserving of only a Top 20 placing than I Just Want to See the Boy Happy--and that is damning it with the faintest of praise.

With Jerry Finn on board, I am fully prepared to roll my eyes upon first listen of the new album if this is a harbinger.

Cheers,

Jamie

Note that even though you tried to torpedo the thread in the second post, and despite the fact that it's been discussed at least 4 times before, plenty of people still bothered to answer the OP's question in this thread. Doesn't the fact that you may be the only person here who's bothered by seeing topics re-hashed tell you something? It's one thing to provide handy pointers to previous discussions; it's quite another to complain about people not doing their homework before they start a thread. You really are hell-bent on making this place boring.

YES

:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom