Should 'That's How People Grow Up' be included on Years of Refusal?

Do you think 'That's How People Grow Up' should be included on 'Years of Refusal'?

• Total voters

Maurice E

Looks like it probably will be but, in case the decision has yet to be finalised, let's see if we can influence it!

I don't think there is much point. It's in the greatest hits and been out as a single. To realise it on the new album would be rather pointless!

If so then why not All you need is me as well??

No :rolleyes:

Because it's going to take the place of a better song

Exactly. New album = new stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
"oh no. not again."

don't get me wrong, i quite like(d) it. but i'd love to hear new, unreleased material.

songs like paris, farewell, etc. should be available as studio versions, but i'd prefer them having as b sides on the upcoming single releases.

No we don't, but he could at least try to release something spectacular.
Putting a six months old song, already released on 4 different formats, on your new album is just plain lazy.

Lazy, and a bit depressing.

His decision to allow "My Dearest Love" to languish and die in oblivion while "That's How People Grow Up" hogs the spotlight is completely inexplicable.

He's a bit like the stepmother in Cinderella - he hides the beautiful ones, while the uglier ones get to go to the ball.

No we don't, but he could at least try to release something spectacular.
Putting a six months old song, already released on 4 different formats, on your new album is just plain lazy.

Yeah, I agree on both counts. I was quite optimistic about the new album but if THPGU is typical of its quality, it's probably gonna be one of his worst two or three albums.

Had it been a brilliant single, loved by the fans and the critics, and a huge airplay hit, the policy would at least be understandable.
But it was simply one of his worst ever singles scarcely any better than Dagenham or Roy...

Truth told, I really don’t care. I don’t actually own a studio version of the song (I didn’t bother with the import single and didn’t buy Greatest Hits b/c, well, err, all the songs I really like I have multiple times)

But my Ipod has about 6 live and TV versions of both “All You Need is Me” and “That’s How People Grow Up,” plus I’ve heard them both in concert a number of times, so, I think that’s about all I require. But if one or both end up on Years of Refusal then that’s OK by me, I guess. At least then I can say I paid for them.

I’m actually much more concerned about the WHEN questions than what exactly is going to be on the album.. (WHEN is the album coming out, WHEN are the next shows, WHEN is Southpaw being released…..Things have gone very quiet of late on the news front.)

Funnily enough, during all this commotion about the song, as I walked downtown for a sandwich on my lunch earlier I found myself singing THPGU…… No, it’s not the best song ever but it does have a certain charm to it, I find….

Last edited:
The songs on the album have to fit together as a coherent whole, and in a good order - things discussed here recently.

Most albums I buy have two or three great tracks, a couple of OK ones, and the rest is filler. With Morrissey the number is usually a bit higher, maybe three or four great tracks, but I don't expect an albumfull.

However, it would be reasonable to hope that better songs than this are on the album.

I agree with Anaesthesine. MDL is spectacular, but might not fit with the overall theme of the album. As such it can stand alone in it's magnificence. A physical or downloadable version, or as a "bonus" track maybe....

please..:o

Back
Top Bottom