Morrissey Central "A WRITER WRONGED" (June 24, 2024)

A WRITER WRONGED

June 24, 2024

NME fax surfaces from 2002

Hello Moz
It's NME's 50th anniversary issue and it's brought out the magnanimous old fool in us, so we'd like to make up. We're really sorry about all that racism stuff and taking the piss about that Union Jack business at Finsbury Park - we just didn't get the point you were making to be honest. We're not the brightest bunch up here, frankly, any lyric more complicated than "Sing, sing, sing, sing, sing" pretty much goes over our heads. But we've had our Dodgy Politics Spotting Dept working on Asian Rut and National Front Disco since 1994 and this week they gave the all-clear. So let's bury the hatchet, shake hands and be men about it. Waddayasay?
Mark Beaumont, NME.

1000021006.jpg

1000021007.jpg

That's great that they were successful, many were. But whether they were successful or not, they would still have been likely to suffer discrimination.

I don't believe Morrissey's voice was one of anti-immigration. I think that he was just conveying the thoughts pertaining to his own experiences.

He himself thought more than once about giving up life as a bad mistake - which would mean disappearing from the world completely, let alone Britain.

So I think it is helpful to the extent of opening their eyes to the reality of what could be a misleading dream.
But what is it to do with him? They had as much right to be here as his parents did. We didn't see him warning Irish people about how hard it was to live here, at least not as explicitly. I would put Morrissey's attitude down to some ignorance that was prevalent at the time, and, as I say, I doubt if anyone would even raise doubts about his lyrics back then if he hadn't supported an anti-immigrant political party in later life.

But what is it to do with him? They had as much right to be here as his parents did. We didn't see him warning Irish people about how hard it was to live here, at least not as explicitly. I would put Morrissey's attitude down to some ignorance that was prevalent at the time, and, as I say, I doubt if anyone would even raise doubts about his lyrics back then if he hadn't supported an anti-immigrant political party in later life.

You explain your opinions well, as have many over the years. It's open to interpretation, and I'm not sure that Morrissey is required to explain himself.

As for your point regarding anti-immigrant political parties, try to keep in mind that he also wrote National Front Disco, in which he displayed an acute awareness of the dangers of such forces.

As natural as rain, that song was also used to accuse and vilify him.

Last edited:
You explain your opinions well, as have many over the years. It's open to interpretation, and I'm not sure that Morrissey is required to explain himself.

As for your point regarding anti-immigrant political parties, try to keep in mind that he also wrote National Front Disco, in which he displayed an acute awareness of the dangers of such forces.

Yes, I think just because he writes these types of songs doesn't mean he believes/supports the words he wrote. I think he writes certain songs to simply tell a story! He aids you, by attempting to put you in the shoes of another person from a completely different walk of life. There are so many variations in this world, different beliefs and cultures. It's fun to speculate and use my imagination when I try to interpret his songs. I personally have never found any of his lyrics to be hurtful/racist in any way, but that's just me, I have no reason to. I remember the first time I heard, "Ooh, Asian boy... What.. drugs are you on?" I giggled. Then the lyrics proceeded to tell me an amazing story, it's still one of my favorite songs to this day because of the story. He just sings about life.. the good, the bad. I love him for that.

I recommend reading Among the Thugs. It's clear that Morrissey was very inspired by the stories told in it

Yes, I think just because he writes these types of songs doesn't mean he believes/supports the words he wrote. I think he writes certain songs to simply tell a story! He aids you, by attempting to put you in the shoes of another person from a completely different walk of life. There are so many variations in this world, different beliefs and cultures. It's fun to speculate and use my imagination when I try to interpret his songs. I personally have never found any of his lyrics to be hurtful/racist in any way, but that's just me, I have no reason to. I remember the first time I heard, "Ooh, Asian boy... What.. drugs are you on?" I giggled. Then the lyrics proceeded to tell me an amazing story, it's still one of my favorite songs to this day because of the story. He just sings about life.. the good, the bad. I love him for that.

How hard would you giggle if you were listening to the song with an Asian boy?

One of my mental health workers is from India, and at the cafe the staff played Bengali In Platforms for me, and I said to my worker that I’m glad he didn’t take Morrissey’s advice to shelve his Western plans. I’m in Vancouver Canada and I’m glad that my worker, A, decided to come here.

Interesting question. I'm not sure, since I'm just a girl of German/polish descent. I can't say exactly how I'd feel, it would depend on my upbringing and how life has treated me, I suppose.

I think it depends on the sensitivity of the listener on how they interpret it, if they're willing to open their mind to words sung in a song, or if they'd like to close off and be angry about it. Either way, it's the listeners decision to make.
Art has always been a rebellious thing, and it does not jive with everyone. When you open up and listen to the story, he is not being racist at all. This might sound naive.. but what is racist about calling someone from Asia.. Asian? & It's not like he's talking about all of Asia, he is talking about one person: the Asian boy in the story.. about how some English boys killed his best friend, he goes to take revenge, but it doesn't end well for him: (3 against 1.. gun jammed.. he was dealt a blow and fell)

I also believe that the entire last line of the song, when he says "maybe I'll even arrive.." the "maybe," which means neither yes nor no, brings about the idea of there likely being NOWHERE in the whole entire world that is civilized. I think he may be right.
Well, that's my take on it anyway.
& Who am I to have such opinions? Where are the Thought Police when you need 'em!? 😉 Wee-woo wee-woo wee-woo... 🚓 They're a'pounding at my door.

Yes, I do understand what you're saying also.

But I think M is pointing out the naivity of the character in the song, to think that they can shine as who they truly are without any repercussions.

Morrissey was persecuted and outcast for years just because he was who he was.

It's not that he didn't want them to shine, it's that he didn't believe the conditions and the environment allowed for it. And in many ways, he was right in that regard.
I don't understand the man. He wrote anti-racist songs like America is not the World and Mexico, and signed an anti-fascist statement in the early 2000's when the BNP were on the rise. Fast forward to recent years and he goes and wears a pin badge of a party made up of many former BNP activists. When questioned on it he says he's just concerned about national security and that's the only thing which ties him to the party, but he's also said Anne Marie Waters (once the leader) is the only person capable of uniting the left and right in British politics. I sort of wonder if it's all part of the theatre of Morrissey and he's just playing with fascism like Joy Division and the Sex Pistols did, because it works and creates a sense of mystery or something. I'm not wedded to that idea but I can't think of anything more plausible! It's like an Oscar Wilde character, always saying and doing the unexpected.

I don't understand the man. He wrote anti-racist songs like America is not the World and Mexico, and signed an anti-fascist statement in the early 2000's when the BNP were on the rise. Fast forward to recent years and he goes and wears a pin badge of a party made up of many former BNP activists. When questioned on it he says he's just concerned about national security and that's the only thing which ties him to the party, but he's also said Anne Marie Waters (once the leader) is the only person capable of uniting the left and right in British politics. I sort of wonder if it's all part of the theatre of Morrissey and he's just playing with fascism like Joy Division and the Sex Pistols did, because it works and creates a sense of mystery or something. I'm not wedded to that idea but I can't think of anything more plausible! It's like an Oscar Wilde character, always saying and doing the unexpected.
I had a thought along the lines of "the more interesting he becomes, the more fans he loses".

I hear you. Sometimes it seems like he might actually enjoy playing Russian roulette with his reputation, et cetera.

But here we all are, taking it all apart. Analysing, criticising, offering up explanations. Hanging on the words and actions, ruminating on left and right, this or that.

Let us look in the mirror - why do we insist on pampering life's complexities?

We do it again and again, because it seems to be our nature. But where does it get us? Usually chasing our tail....

Call me morbid call me pale
I've spent too long on your trail
Far too long, chasing your tail

I recommend reading Among the Thugs. It's clear that Morrissey was very inspired by the stories told in it

Interesting contribution, appreciated.

Though just because he may have been inspired, that doesn't mean he shares the beliefs. He might be interested by crowd violence and football hooliganism, but would not himself partake.

Similarly with his interest in the Krays and Brady and Hindley. Just because he's intrigued by the dynamics of their actions, it doesn't mean he would himself do the same things, or even agree with them.

As Ashley very adeptly pointed out, Morrissey is skilled in storytelling and she is right to remind us that not everything should be considered to be automatically from his first person perspective.

I have often fallen into that trap, for sure.

He could just as easily be assessing why others would think or feel a certain way.

Last edited:
I don't really understand these "the NME treated Morrissey like this in the early 90s, then they tried to do this in 2002, and now they act like this etc etc" complaints. The NME is staffed by entirely different writers and editors over different periods. I doubt any of the journalists who wrote for the NME in the 90s were still there in 2002 (most moved on to Uncut, Mojo etc), much less now.

I don't really understand these "the NME treated Morrissey like this in the early 90s, then they tried to do this in 2002, and now they act like this etc etc" complaints. The NME is staffed by entirely different writers and editors over different periods. I doubt any of the journalists who wrote for the NME in the 90s were still there in 2002 (most moved on to Uncut, Mojo etc), much less now.

Neo-Nazi's were not - and are not - led by Hitler...

It is still possible for ideology and dogma to pervade.

Yes, I appear to be comparing the NME to the Nazi's.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom