Morrissey Central "A WRITER WRONGED" (June 24, 2024)

A WRITER WRONGED

June 24, 2024

NME fax surfaces from 2002

Hello Moz
It's NME's 50th anniversary issue and it's brought out the magnanimous old fool in us, so we'd like to make up. We're really sorry about all that racism stuff and taking the piss about that Union Jack business at Finsbury Park - we just didn't get the point you were making to be honest. We're not the brightest bunch up here, frankly, any lyric more complicated than "Sing, sing, sing, sing, sing" pretty much goes over our heads. But we've had our Dodgy Politics Spotting Dept working on Asian Rut and National Front Disco since 1994 and this week they gave the all-clear. So let's bury the hatchet, shake hands and be men about it. Waddayasay?
Mark Beaumont, NME.

1000021006.jpg

1000021007.jpg

Looks like it from the original email. Take a look at the other artists that are mentioned that they planned to apologise to also.

Ah ok, didn’t read the original fax. I just never heard stories about the NME’s mistreatment of other artists, in the same way they targeted Morrissey. Then again, I was never interested in those artists, lol.

Weird on so many levels. The “matey” writing style is cringeworthy, but it’s the NME so it shouldn’t surprise me.

It did seem peculiar how they went full circle around the time of You Are The Quarry and reclaimed him as their own, shortly before sticking the knife back in, all over again.

Absolute abomination of a music mag anyway. Give me Sounds or even Melody Maker over that rabble.

Last edited:
"Look, bit short notice this but does anyone know how we can get a message/e-mail sent on to Moz from NME, whom I am.

Basically, it's NME's 50th anniversary this year and we want to make up with all the people we've pissed off over the years. We want to offer an olive branch to Moz, apologise for generally being total bastards since '85 or thereabouts, shake hands and be men about it all. Does anyone know how we can get this message to him. And don't take the piss, we really mean it, alright."

Contemporaneous.
The chances of similar wording posted here and in a private fax kind of helps validate it.
So, looks like he tried here too in 2002.
FWD.

I wonder what other golden Morrissey faxes exist from 20+ years ago. Hope he continues to post them on Central before they reach the shredder. Much more interesting than a photo of Playboi Carti.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom