Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, let him carry on making the traditional posts about XY and X dying, whilst inevitably putting some inane “woe is me” comment in his “eulogy “ (it’s actually allaboutmelogy).
Sinéad is one of the few artists for whom a comparison actually is apt. So, I forgive the self-reference in there.

I'm torn after reading Moz's post. In many ways he is right but the most important outcome from today is that a woman has died and is sadly missed by her children, her fans, music fans in general, and anyone with empathy. Now is not the time for digs at the music industry and music critics, and now is definitely not the time for Moz to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine.

Sinead was ahead of her time in many ways and it took years for people to catch up with her. Three kids are without a mother. The world is now without Sinead. Everything else pales in significance to that. Her death is not a battery for the torch to illuminate the shortcomings of the music industry. At least not yet when this is too raw.

I've read Moz's statement a few times and can feel his anger and frustration at the two-faced world. I can see and accept his points. He is being honest. I think I'm (like a lot of us) still reeling from the news today. I have a Sinead 7" of Don't Cry For Me Argentina with Ave Maria as b-side. Playing it now but it's very hard not to get emotional.
No offense, but you’re sounding a little like one of those useless turd politicians who, in the wake of a senseless mass shooting, “Now is not the time to talk about gun control. Let’s just mourn the dead.” We can have both.

"Don't argue amongst yourselves
Because of the loss of me
I'm sitting amongst yourselves
Don't think you can't see me
Don't argue amongst yourselves
Because of the loss of me
I haven't gone anywhere
But out of my body
Reach out and you'll touch me
Make effort to speak to me
Call out and you'll hear me
Be happy for me"

Rest In Peace Sinead...

<3

BrummieBoy

Coming from a habitual attacker of Morrissey's reputation, bb's sweet tribute on a star's death proves how shallow commentators can be.

Before we got this sad news, I've noticed the negative nellies pile on again crowding out ordinary fans with the ferocity of hate and abuse directed at Morrissey. The truth is that we are lucky to have an artist of Morrissey's calibre still amongst us. Could we not remind ourselves of that more often? As he writes, "was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t." Go easy.

A little story about Sinead. My lovely uncle Dan, who died during C-vid I, and had been a bus driver in Dublin, used to relate an incident he witnessed in Bewleys' café on Grafton Street. Sinead was weeping her heart out, and sitting beside her to comfort her was one of Ireland's premier poets and literary celebrities, Brendan Kennelly from Kerry, and professor of English in Trinity College Dublin, who died in 2021. Below is a favourite of his, dedicated here to Sinéad, for what awaits.

“Begin”​

by Brendan Kennelly

Begin again to the summoning birds
to the sight of the light at the window,
begin to the roar of morning traffic
all along Pembroke Road.
Every beginning is a promise
born in light and dying in dark
determination and exaltation of springtime
flowering the way to work.
Begin to the pageant of queuing girls
the arrogant loneliness of swans in the canal
bridges linking the past and future
old friends passing though with us still.
Begin to the loneliness that cannot end
since it perhaps is what makes us begin,
begin to wonder at unknown faces
at crying birds in the sudden rain
at branches stark in the willing sunlight
at seagulls foraging for bread
at couples sharing a sunny secret
alone together while making good.
Though we live in a world that dreams of ending
that always seems about to give in
something that will not acknowledge conclusion
insists that we forever begin.

— From The Essential Brendan Kennelly

Last edited:
Coming from a habitual attacker of Morrissey's reputation, this lovely tribute on a star's death proves how shallow commentators can be.

Before we got this sad news, I've noticed the negative nellies pile on again crowding out ordinary fans with the ferocity of hate and abuse directed at Morrissey. The truth is that we are lucky to have an artist of Morrissey's calibre still amongst us. Could we not remind ourselves of that more often? As he writes, "was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t." Go easy.

A little story about Sinead. My lovely uncle Dan, who died during C-vid I, and had been a bus driver in Dublin, used to relate an incident he witnessed in Bewleys' café on Grafton Street. Sinead was weeping her heart out, and sitting beside her to comfort her was one of Ireland's premier poets and literary celebrities, Brendan Kennelly from Kerry, and professor of English in Trinity College Dublin, who died in 2021. Below is a favourite of his, dedicated here to Sinéad, for what awaits.

“Begin”​

by Brendan Kennelly

all along Pembroke Road.

— From The Essential Brendan Kennelly
That really touches the heart. Beautiful.

This is an incredibly powerful statement of M, who feels anger after such sad news. She sold millions of records, made the record industry earn tons of money on her back, and when she voiced her traumas and simply told in her own way that mainstram media can't stay silent anymore over child abuse in organized religion, she was crucified. She had the guts to say things loud. She wasn't afraid to show her weakness, and when she was in her darkest hours, no one of her record compagny hired and financed personnel to support her. This record company industry is so abusive, that it squeezes singers like lemons as soon as they don't fit in their bland Disney story telling anymore.

Her music won't be forgotten, she won't be forgotten by people who got through the same experiences and traumas in childhood.

Now, obviously very soon, the morons of Rock'n'Roll hall of fame are gonna welcome her posthumously because she is gonna be feted a lot in the next years. But her music is far more demanding and challenging than another Irish dead singer who sang Zombie. Sinead was not a zombie. She fought until the end as much as she could. Morrissey, with his Irish blood in his veins, delivered this loud message, it is like a punch. It had to be this way as Sinead certainly was not a fragile woman. it is like a punch, She was a very strong woman in a male dominated industry.

So angry. In many ways he is right - she was mocked and humiliated by the media and this 'legend' stuff is pap - but Sinead's problems were intensely personal and went far beyond being dropped by a record label. Sometimes it's like Moz is so tunnel-visioned, he can't help but insert his own situation into these rants. Sinead suffered and lost a son to suicide just last year, I think she had far greater concerns than record labels, Moz.
I agree 💯
M is speaking about himself but he also knows how fake the world is . I love it that he hates terms like "legend " it means fecking nothing . When people say M is a legend it's so fecking stupid, Is that all they have is to fecking say ? Not sure why people would think M doesn't know the term shit post , he's well up on modern culture always has been. What blew my fecking mind was that he mentioned Whitney crack pipe Houston
Sinead was brilliant , such a fecking great voice such a honest person, unlike most music folk . I am surprised she lasted this long . Such a troubled life. I will fecking miss her

". . . You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. . . ."
I wonder, in what way(s) was Morrissey supporting Sinead O'Connor before she died?

"Nothing Compares to You."
Sinead and Prince R.I.P.
🌴S.D. Park Blvd. Morrissey Crew🌴

I think many of her demons have been since the death of her son. Sad news.
Far earlier. I read her autobio just a few months ago. Her mom would have her get naked and lay on the kitchen floor to then beat her with a broom. That was one of the tamer stories she tells of her childhood. She recalled going to every adult asking if they would be her new mom. She confesses trying to run from her childhood and eventually herself.

The media and other commenters had no obligation to mollycoddle Sinead, nor should anyone be expected to continuously bow down to difficult or borderline unhinged people just because they were talented artists with powerful singing voices. With that said, unlike Morrissey, Sinead didn't seem like the type of person who would lash out at people who weren't deserving of it. I didn't follow her antics closely, but from what I've seen she attempted to spread positivity in her own way which should always have been taken into consideration by people who were speaking to her or about her. And while I don't know a lot about her personal relationships it seems that the main victim of her psychological issues was herself. It's not easy to venerate somebody who's so self-destructive and the "where were you when she needed you" tone of Morrissey's rant appears aimless (he himself calls her "crazed" near the beginning of it). Her devoted fans were right there when she needed them and any other people who disapproved of how she conducted herself weren't obliged to be anywhere in particular. Is Morrissey suggesting there are specific public figures who regularly lambasted Sinead but are coming out now singing her praises after her death? If so, he doesn't name who those people are so his screed is vague and self-serving--- with anger towards unnamed people (who presumably have their own families and responsibilities) who could have done nothing to save Sinead even if they had tried their hardest.

I'm torn after reading Moz's post. In many ways he is right but the most important outcome from today is that a woman has died and is sadly missed by her children, her fans, music fans in general, and anyone with empathy. Now is not the time for digs at the music industry and music critics, and now is definitely not the time for Moz to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine.

Sinead was ahead of her time in many ways and it took years for people to catch up with her. Three kids are without a mother. The world is now without Sinead. Everything else pales in significance to that. Her death is not a battery for the torch to illuminate the shortcomings of the music industry. At least not yet when this is too raw.

I've read Moz's statement a few times and can feel his anger and frustration at the two-faced world. I can see and accept his points. He is being honest. I think I'm (like a lot of us) still reeling from the news today. I have a Sinead 7" of Don't Cry For Me Argentina with Ave Maria as b-side. Playing it now but it's very hard not to get emotional.
So when is the time for the digs at the music industry and music critics?

Coming from a habitual attacker of Morrissey's reputation, bb's sweet tribute on a star's death proves how shallow commentators can be.

Yes. He won't be here forever. Is it so hard to appreciate him while he's here? Instead of trying to constantly find fault with everything he says or does?

“Begin”​

by Brendan Kennelly

all along Pembroke Road.