Morrissey on the "Late Show with David Letterman" (Jan. 8, 2013) - reminder, reports

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey on the "Late Show with David Letterman" (Jan. 8, 2013) - remin

The man looks wonderful; he's as unlikely a pop star now as he was in the '80s.

I was going to skip his appearance in my area this week; I saw him numerous times last autumn and they were all great shows, but life is hectic etc, etc.

I'm glad I broke down and finally got tickets - Morrissey may have his problems, but ultimately he's magnificent and irreplaceable.

The button he wears is from the SAFE campaign in New Zealand. It Says "Stop Factory Farming .org.nz".

Here's a link to the campaign website.
http://www.stopfactoryfarming.org.nz/

You can buy the button from the Cruelty Free Shop.
stop_factory_buttons_1.jpg

http://thecrueltyfreeshop.co.nz/clothing-accessories/safe-campaign/say-no-to-factory-farming-buttons-415.html

Re: Article: Morrissey on the "Late Show with David Letterman" (Jan. 8, 2013) - remin

You are not familiar with the phrase "top form" as in "he/she/they are in top form?" It is used pretty widely in a variety of situations. A baseball team with their pitcher in top form is vastly superior to the same team when the same pitcher is off his game.

Not trying to pick on you but there is a difference between being disingenuous and being ignorant.

I must be truly ignorant because I am not being disingenuous. I have never heard the phrase top form used to describe a pop/rock artist--outside of the Morrissey-solo forums.

Wonder why he made the sign of the cross at the end? Has he done this before?

Yes, I noticed it in the Who Put the M in Manchester dvd when he sings the line about having no home in There is a light..... signifying that infact he understands that he does now have a home, and that he is thankful to god for it. I must have watched that thing 20 times.

Why the f*** has he got Sheldon off The Big Bang Theory playing bass guitar??

The button he wears is from the SAFE campaign in New Zealand. It Says "Stop Factory Farming .org.nz".

Here's a link to the campaign website.
http://www.stopfactoryfarming.org.nz/

You can buy the button from the Cruelty Free Shop.
stop_factory_buttons_1.jpg

http://thecrueltyfreeshop.co.nz/clothing-accessories/safe-campaign/say-no-to-factory-farming-buttons-415.html

Ahh good, I was correct in thinking it was a factory on the badge. I'll pop in on Saturday and see if they have any in stock. I might be able to pass some on to those who want them.

I must be truly ignorant because I am not being disingenuous. I have never heard the phrase top form used to describe a pop/rock artist--outside of the Morrissey-solo forums.

it's a term i and many, many others use regularly in the uk. In fact i remarked to a friend this morning that "so and so was on top form last night"
It's just a term we use all the time to indicate someone is on the top of their game, be it a musician, sportsman, actor, chef, comedian, as well as more literally such as to describe a race horse, a football team' current results etc, etc..

I thought Morrissey's voice was a bit scratchy and no doubt will be better after a couple of concerts...

Ahh good, I was correct in thinking it was a factory on the badge. I'll pop in on Saturday and see if they have any in stock. I might be able to pass some on to those who want them.

Ahh good chap can you get me one whilst your there old bean! What ! What ! He's going to be wearing a condom on his head as well my dear chap so pick some of them up as well why don't you ! Toodle pip now.

I was going to skip his appearance in my area this week; I saw him numerous times last autumn and they were all great shows, but life is hectic etc, etc.

I'm glad I broke down and finally got tickets - Morrissey may have his problems, but ultimately he's magnificent and irreplaceable.

I'm so glad you had a breakdown. Best prep for a Morrissey concert, I've found :thumb:

Hoping you have as sublime a time as I did at the two British shows last summer. Relish, relive and report if you can :)

it's a term i and many, many others use regularly in the uk. In fact i remarked to a friend this morning that "so and so was on top form last night"
It's just a term we use all the time to indicate someone is on the top of their game, be it a musician, sportsman, actor, chef, comedian, as well as more literally such as to describe a race horse, a football team' current results etc, etc..

I thought Morrissey's voice was a bit scratchy and no doubt will be better after a couple of concerts...

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. I really had no idea it was a common phrase in the UK.

Sorry, Stoned.

I'm so glad you had a breakdown. Best prep for a Morrissey concert, I've found :thumb:

Hoping you have as sublime a time as I did at the two British shows last summer. Relish, relive and report if you can :)

Why thank you Mr. Frady - I will do my best. :)

It was silly to even think of not going when Moz is only minutes away; he's always been hard to resist.

I felt it was the weakest of the non-concert versions of the song thus far. The Janice Long version had Matt Walker really driving the beat, the In Session version was nicely polished. This just seemed somewhat listless and directionless at the end. The swell of synthesized strings in the chorus is a bad omen for a potential studio rendition.

Hi! Thanks for setting me straight. Haha. Indeed, the use of the term form is entirely appropriate as a substitute for performance. However, I think we both can agree that its usage is not common at all--especially when used to describe a pop/rock performance/performer. It sounds... for lack of a better word... pretentious. If I said, Eddie Vedder was in great form tonight--to a Pearl Jam fan--it would not be received very well at all. It sounds more like a way to describe a top athlete or violinist's form... where precise technique is measurable and demonstrable.

I know he was raised Catholic... parents from Ireland... went to a Catholic school... but I was under the impression that he was not a practitioner or even a believer in a god.

I had a very nice holiday season, thanks. I hope you did so as well. Oh, and so glad to see you blogging regularly again. :)

Oh, I do see what you mean, RB. I wasn't trying to set you straight - just adding to the conversation. Adding my two cents - even though I'm penniless ;P

I think he must be a believer of sorts. He's attached to crucifixes, rosary beads, etc. Oftentimes, during a show, he will stop during the instrumental of a song and look up and mouth words. I don't know if he's speaking to God or what, but it moves me. As a Catholic I do find a lot of peace within my own little catholic world. That doesn't mean attending mass, or whatever, but just having certain prayers and my rosary beads around me is very comforting. And, yes, being Catholic is lifelong. It never leaves you. Even if you turn to Wicca, certain aspects stay with you. I've had Catholic friends do this and they all say Wicca is very much like Catholicism.

I had a very hectic holiday season, but it was nice, thank you! Yes, my blog - or journal (I hate the word blog for some reason) - I've been writing in it since 2001...why stop now, right? :p

She's a "fat activist." I couldn't help myself. :p How come Morrissey can call Kate anorexic and gets an "Ohhh Morrissey." and I call one of his stalkers fat and it's sadness and jealousy? Jesus. :rolleyes:

And it was moved (as this and all related comments should be, sorry I derailed convo) but Viva totally nailed it by posting the pot/kettle pic. I'm a total fatty too, I just know she HATES being called fat and I was being an asshole.

Thanks for admitting you were being an asshole with your negative comment, CG. That takes guts and I apreciate your candor. To quote Mr. Morrissey, "It takes guts to be gentle and kind." I find it takes far more guts for me to be gentle and kind before I open my mouth than it does to admit my stupidity after the fact. We are all works in progress, I guess.

Hoorrray .... gone are the pathetic days ... now it's action jackson. Undertaker calls.

Oh, I do see what you mean, RB. I wasn't trying to set you straight - just adding to the conversation. Adding my two cents - even though I'm penniless ;P

I think he must be a believer of sorts. He's attached to crucifixes, rosary beads, etc. Oftentimes, during a show, he will stop during the instrumental of a song and look up and mouth words. I don't know if he's speaking to God or what, but it moves me. As a Catholic I do find a lot of peace within my own little catholic world. That doesn't mean attending mass, or whatever, but just having certain prayers and my rosary beads around me is very comforting. And, yes, being Catholic is lifelong. It never leaves you. Even if you turn to Wicca, certain aspects stay with you. I've had Catholic friends do this and they all say Wicca is very much like Catholicism.

I had a very hectic holiday season, but it was nice, thank you! Yes, my blog - or journal (I hate the word blog for some reason) - I've been writing in it since 2001...why stop now, right? :p

Thanks for the insight about Moz. I should pay more attention. I am glad that your faith brings you joy and meaning. :) Yes, I too prefer the word journal over blog. Wow, writing since 2001. That is incredible. I hope you have all of your posts saved offsite. If not, it is easy to put them into word files.

Thanks for admitting you were being an asshole with your negative comment, CG. That takes guts and I apreciate your candor. To quote Mr. Morrissey, "It takes guts to be gentle and kind." I find it takes far more guts for me to be gentle and kind before I open my mouth than it does to admit my stupidity after the fact. We are all works in progress, I guess.

I think it takes impulse control as well. Perhaps you have a great deal of that. :) As for me--at this very moment--I am lacking it. :p

Last edited:

Is there any unsigned act that has been on television with nothing to promote, more than Morrissey?
I swear he's on tv more in the US when he's not got anything out.

AT LAST. Someone - with or without a big nose - who knows, who realises that Morrissey is irreplaceable. How true. More than ever before to be frank. And
this is after YOR which was just amazing !

Better than that, there are only a handful of years to go. So, please get some tickets bought and then sing along from the upper tier !

Love,

Strawberry.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom