Morrissey on the "Late Show with David Letterman" (Jan. 8, 2013) - reminder, reports

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey on the "Late Show with David Letterman" (Jan. 8, 2013) - remin

Scarlet Ibis was in the studio. I hope she didn't break the seat, the Ed Sullivan theater is old, you know?

This nasty comment is not funny and says a lot about you CG...very sad.

Re: Article: Morrissey on the "Late Show with David Letterman" (Jan. 8, 2013) - remin

Wonder why he made the sign of the cross at the end? Has he done this before?

Same reason anybody makes the sign of the cross ~ to better show off their nail varnish...

8363455589_64bd9125b9_z.jpg

If those 3+ minutes are in indicative, a fine tour it shall be. And Moz seemed to be having fun notwithstanding having to tolerate that boob Letterman.

Nice!
Looks like the US is in for a killer tour.

Morrissey tends to shrill-ly shout something at the end of TV appearances, hah.
What was it this time?

Nice!
Looks like the US is in for a killer tour.

Morrissey tends to shrill-ly shout something at the end of TV appearances, hah.
What was it this time?

He shouts out 'Morrissey!', amusingly.

This nasty comment is not funny and says a lot about you CG...very sad.

She's a "fat activist." I couldn't help myself. :p How come Morrissey can call Kate anorexic and gets an "Ohhh Morrissey." and I call one of his stalkers fat and it's sadness and jealousy? Jesus. :rolleyes:

And it was moved (as this and all related comments should be, sorry I derailed convo) but Viva totally nailed it by posting the pot/kettle pic. I'm a total fatty too, I just know she HATES being called fat and I was being an asshole.

Last edited:
Yeah, not bad, although that undertaker line is pretty weak. Quite a muted audience reaction too.

A clue to why he made the sign of the cross? He is a practicing Catholic? Or better yet, a Mozfather... a clergyman. But where is the priest suit? At the cleaners?

Not trying to pick on you Stoned, but the use of the term form when describing Moz's performance has been bothering me for years. And I am in an ornery mood... so I am going to comment on this Mozworld idiosyncrasy. I know Moz hates the word performance. So loyal fans--not all--use the term form instead. But it isn't a formation. It is a performance. He is not a piece of clay molded into form. He is a performer entertaining an audience.

Hi RB - yes, he does make the sign of the cross often. I don't know why. He was raised Catholic and he seems to have a love of rosary beads, as well. I think he said, however, that he doesn't really practice any form of religion.

AH...the word form. Which brings me to this - Stoned was correct in the use of this word. From Webster (a long list, but it's there):

Definition of FORM

a : the shape and structure of something as distinguished from its material
b : a body (as of a person) especially in its external appearance or as distinguished from the face : figure
c archaic : beauty
: the essential nature of a thing as distinguished from its matter: as
a : idea 1a
b : the component of a thing that determines its kind
a : established method of expression or proceeding : procedure according to rule or rote; also : a standard or expectation based on past experience : precedent <true to form, the champions won again>
b : a prescribed and set order of words : formula <the form of the marriage service>
: a printed or typed document with blank spaces for insertion of required or requested information <tax forms>
a (1) : conduct regulated by extraneous controls (as of custom or etiquette) : ceremony (2) : show without substance
b : manner or conduct as tested by a prescribed or accepted standard <rudeness is simply bad form>
c : manner or style of performing or accomplishing according to recognized standards of technique <a strong swimmer but weak on form>
a : the resting place or nest of a hare
b : a long seat : bench
a : a supporting frame model of the human figure or part (as the torso) of the human figure usually used for displaying apparel
b : a proportioned and often adjustable model for fitting clothes
c : a mold in which concrete is placed to set
: the printing type or other matter arranged and secured in a chase ready for printing
a : one of the different modes of existence, action, or manifestation of a particular thing or substance : kind <one form of respiratory disorder> <a form of art>
b : a distinguishable group of organisms
c : linguistic form
d : one of the different aspects a word may take as a result of inflection or change of spelling or pronunciation <verbal forms>
e : a mathematical expression of a particular type <a bilinear form> <a polynomial form>
a (1) : orderly method of arrangement (as in the presentation of ideas) : manner of coordinating elements (as of an artistic production or course of reasoning) (2) : a particular kind or instance of such arrangement <the sonnet is a poetical form>
b : pattern, schema <arguments of the same logical form>
c : the structural element, plan, or design of a work of art — compare content 2c
d : a visible and measurable unit defined by a contour : a bounded surface or volume
: a grade in a British school or in some American private schools
a (1) : the past performance of a race horse (2) : racing form
b : known ability to perform <a singer at the top of her form>
c : condition suitable for performing (as in athletic competition) <back on form>

Hope you are well and had a great Holiday season :)

Wonder why he made the sign of the cross at the end? Has he done this before?

Many times. He's Catholic. Or at least quite spiritual and identifies with metaphorical sacrifice.

Catholicism is for life, not just for Christmas.

He's lost quite a bit of weight. Looking smart, slim and sounding great.

Always seems as if whenever Moz is on US TV, that there is some aspect of the show that he would take offense to. Anyone catch the interview before he went on, with Brian Williams? The conversation went on to gun control and Williams and Letterman discussed the ludicrous types of guns that "sportsmen" claim to need in order to hunt, as well as talking about gun laws in general. Although Letterman did say that certain long-barrel, assault-type, automatic weapons are absurd, he did say that he is not opposed to gun ownership or to hunting, and that he does not mind a smaller gun to kill gophers with, and other types of small animals.
With that, I half expected Morrissey to refuse to play and walk off the studio, and when it seemed like a long commercial break between the Williams interview and Moz's performance, I feared that that had actually happened.
Then again, Morrissey may be a staunch animal rights activist and Letterman is an idiot for endorsing hunting, but I admire Morrissey for performing a great show for his fans.

Very tight solid performance from Morrissey. He's really thought about this appearance and has tried really hard and it's worked. The band looked smart as did Morrissey. I do like those shoes of his. The song sounded better, a bit more of a filled in sound than on previous airings. The badge appeared to have a factory on it. Perhaps a reference to factory farming?

Hi RB - yes, he does make the sign of the cross often. I don't know why. He was raised Catholic and he seems to have a love of rosary beads, as well. I think he said, however, that he doesn't really practice any form of religion.

AH...the word form. Which brings me to this - Stoned was correct in the use of this word. From Webster (a long list, but it's there):

Definition of FORM

a : the shape and structure of something as distinguished from its material
b : a body (as of a person) especially in its external appearance or as distinguished from the face : figure
c archaic : beauty
: the essential nature of a thing as distinguished from its matter: as
a : idea 1a
b : the component of a thing that determines its kind
a : established method of expression or proceeding : procedure according to rule or rote; also : a standard or expectation based on past experience : precedent <true to form, the champions won again>
b : a prescribed and set order of words : formula <the form of the marriage service>
: a printed or typed document with blank spaces for insertion of required or requested information <tax forms>
a (1) : conduct regulated by extraneous controls (as of custom or etiquette) : ceremony (2) : show without substance
b : manner or conduct as tested by a prescribed or accepted standard <rudeness is simply bad form>
c : manner or style of performing or accomplishing according to recognized standards of technique <a strong swimmer but weak on form>
a : the resting place or nest of a hare
b : a long seat : bench
a : a supporting frame model of the human figure or part (as the torso) of the human figure usually used for displaying apparel
b : a proportioned and often adjustable model for fitting clothes
c : a mold in which concrete is placed to set
: the printing type or other matter arranged and secured in a chase ready for printing
a : one of the different modes of existence, action, or manifestation of a particular thing or substance : kind <one form of respiratory disorder> <a form of art>
b : a distinguishable group of organisms
c : linguistic form
d : one of the different aspects a word may take as a result of inflection or change of spelling or pronunciation <verbal forms>
e : a mathematical expression of a particular type <a bilinear form> <a polynomial form>
a (1) : orderly method of arrangement (as in the presentation of ideas) : manner of coordinating elements (as of an artistic production or course of reasoning) (2) : a particular kind or instance of such arrangement <the sonnet is a poetical form>
b : pattern, schema <arguments of the same logical form>
c : the structural element, plan, or design of a work of art — compare content 2c
d : a visible and measurable unit defined by a contour : a bounded surface or volume
: a grade in a British school or in some American private schools
a (1) : the past performance of a race horse (2) : racing form
b : known ability to perform <a singer at the top of her form>
c : condition suitable for performing (as in athletic competition) <back on form>

Hope you are well and had a great Holiday season :)

Hi! Thanks for setting me straight. Haha. Indeed, the use of the term form is entirely appropriate as a substitute for performance. However, I think we both can agree that its usage is not common at all--especially when used to describe a pop/rock performance/performer. It sounds... for lack of a better word... pretentious. If I said, Eddie Vedder was in great form tonight--to a Pearl Jam fan--it would not be received very well at all. It sounds more like a way to describe a top athlete or violinist's form... where precise technique is measurable and demonstrable.

I know he was raised Catholic... parents from Ireland... went to a Catholic school... but I was under the impression that he was not a practitioner or even a believer in a god.

I had a very nice holiday season, thanks. I hope you did so as well. Oh, and so glad to see you blogging regularly again. :)

Catholicism is for life, not just for Christmas.

Catholicism is for life only if the individual chooses to be/remain Catholic. Moz states that he is opposed to the Royal Family because he claims it is a dictatorship. What about the Pope and god? Their kingdoms are much larger and they have far more subjects than the British Monarchy. :squiffy:

Always seems as if whenever Moz is on US TV, that there is some aspect of the show that he would take offense to. Anyone catch the interview before he went on, with Brian Williams? The conversation went on to gun control and Williams and Letterman discussed the ludicrous types of guns that "sportsmen" claim to need in order to hunt, as well as talking about gun laws in general. Although Letterman did say that certain long-barrel, assault-type, automatic weapons are absurd, he did say that he is not opposed to gun ownership or to hunting, and that he does not mind a smaller gun to kill gophers with, and other types of small animals.
With that, I half expected Morrissey to refuse to play and walk off the studio, and when it seemed like a long commercial break between the Williams interview and Moz's performance, I feared that that had actually happened.
Then again, Morrissey may be a staunch animal rights activist and Letterman is an idiot for endorsing hunting, but I admire Morrissey for performing a great show for his fans.

Letterman isn't a live broadcast, commercial length wouldn't matter. Also Morrissey has his opinions and others have theirs. THe Coachella thing was quite topical, there was meat smoke wafting across the stage. But half his audience at every show are carnivores and burping meat sandwich fumes in his face as he passes them the mic, he can't control his environment or what is discussed and he knows this. :squiffy: Everyone thinks he's this pissy drama queen who is so tender and on edge. I don't get that at ALL.

A clue to why he made the sign of the cross? He is a practicing Catholic? Or better yet, a Mozfather... a clergyman. But where is the priest suit? At the cleaners?

Not trying to pick on you Stoned, but the use of the term form when describing Moz's performance has been bothering me for years. And I am in an ornery mood... so I am going to comment on this Mozworld idiosyncrasy. I know Moz hates the word performance. So loyal fans--not all--use the term form instead. But it isn't a formation. It is a performance. He is not a piece of clay molded into form. He is a performer entertaining an audience.

You are not familiar with the phrase "top form" as in "he/she/they are in top form?" It is used pretty widely in a variety of situations. A baseball team with their pitcher in top form is vastly superior to the same team when the same pitcher is off his game.

Not trying to pick on you but there is a difference between being disingenuous and being ignorant.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom