"Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12, 2013 reminder / reports

Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths - The Culture Show, BBC 2

Sun 12 May 2013
23:00
DURATION: 30 MINUTES (stream on iPlayer through May 19, region restricted)

UPDATE May 13:

MP4 format download provided in the Downloads forum by 6084615.

It's 30 years since Manchester four-piece The Smiths changed the face of British pop with their debut single Hand In Glove. In this half-hour Culture Show special, fellow Mancunian and lifelong fan Tim Samuels sets out to find out why The Smiths have such a special place in the hearts of a generation of Brits. The Smiths were only around for five years in the mid-eighties, but to this day the sentiment their music evokes is strong. Samuels pays visits to a variety of dedicated fans including fashion designer Wayne Hemingway, poet Simon Armitage, Labour MP Kerry McCarthy and Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher to analyse the look, the lyrics, the issues and the riffs that made The Smiths Britain's first, and arguably best ever, indie rock band.

Related item:

Last edited:
Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

in the 80's and 90's you'd have been subjected to the boring and miserable jibes - mostly thanks to people believing whatever they read in the press rather than using their own ears to judge.

Back in 92/93 there was a guy in my theatre group who constantly teased me about being a Morrissey/Smiths fan and how I surrounded myself with misery from the "Pope of Mope". What he didn't realize is that the music wiped away the misery and made me really happy...

Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

I expected very little of worth from this but was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, for a 30 minute doc. Intellectually nourishing and quite moving. It was clearly a well written and skillfully constructed piece, and you could sense the genuine intent of the people involved. The brickbats should go to the half-witted commissioning editors and controllers at the BBC who allow a whopping half hour for a programme such as this. The people and material they had access to easily warranted at least an hour, in a decent slot, with some related programming to accompany it (not just shove on a 'grim oop north' b&w social realist film to follow, as they did last night) Arts across the BBC is being slashed, not least 'pop', and one suspects the music dept have blown most of their allotted time and resources on the forthcoming Dame Bowie behemoth.

Some of the footage the research dept had unearthed (such as a pristine 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes' from the 1984 'Y.E.S' BBC North West programme, and some more backstage VHS teasers from Grant Showbiz) deserved to be seen in all their glory. From the opening sequence of TOTP footage and cover stars projected onto darkened canalside underpasses I thought 'ooh this might be ok'. The use of optimo bold for the on-screen lyrics was deftly done too. I could've done with less of Simon 'Poet' Armitage's dronings in exchange for a few more seconds of Jo Slee's genuine insights (Morrissey's self-proclaimed "unusable heart" etc.) Otherwise I thought all the contributors had interesting points to make re: the social, sexual, musical, fashionable (?) impact of the band. But you just kept thinking 'this would be a great 2 hour doc'.

And I thought it was a cheeky touch to end it with Noel Gallagher negating the previous 29 minutes by basically saying you can talk about it all you like, for the next 30 years, but it still comes down to the same thing - they were just f***ing great.

Last edited:

I expected very little of worth from this but was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, for a 30 minute doc. Intellectually nourishing and quite moving. It was clearly a well written and skillfully constructed piece, and you could sense the genuine intent of the people involved. The brickbats should go to the half-witted commissioning editors and controllers at the BBC who allow a whopping half hour for a programme such as this. The people and material they had access to easily warranted at least an hour, in a decent slot, with some related programming to accompany it (not just shove on a 'grim oop north' b&w social realist film to follow, as they did last night) Arts across the BBC is being slashed, not least 'pop', and one suspects the music dept have blown most of their allotted time and resources on the forthcoming Dame Bowie behemoth.

Some of the footage the research dept had unearthed (such as a pristine 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes' from the 1984 'Y.E.S' BBC North West programme, and some more backstage VHS teasers from Grant Showbiz) deserved to be seen in all their glory. From the opening sequence of TOTP footage and cover stars projected onto darkened canalside underpasses I thought 'ooh this might be ok'. The use of optimo bold for the on-screen lyrics was deftly done too. I could've done with less of Simon 'Poet' Armitage's dronings in exchange for a few more seconds of Jo Slee's genuine insights (Morrisseys' self-proclaimed "un-useable heart" etc.) Otherwise I thought all the contributors had interesting points to make re: the social, sexual, musical, fashionable (?) impact of the band. But you just kept thinking 'this would be a great 2 hour doc'.

And I thought it was a cheeky touch to end it with Noel Gallagher negating the previous 29 minutes by basically saying you can talk about it all you like, for the next 30 years, but it still comes down to the same thing - they were just f***ing great.

Sorry for being a pedant, but Shane Medowes' Somers Town isn't set in North England.

Somers Town is an area where very close to Euston, London.

What a sycophantic comment.

I appreciate that BBC gave an opportunity and good to see Jo Slee, but it isn't great.

If it had more unseen archive footage, it would be great.

I'm really not sure you know what the word sycophantic means. Maybe you should educate yourself before you attack people.

Only on solo. A BBC Documentary on the Smiths. Site member comes on here to say they enjoyed it and is jumped all over and called sycophantic!!!! Is it a qualification for membership of this site to hate Morrissey and everything relating to him!. Of course everybody doesn't have to love everything, but neither is it compulsory to hate. Even worse, it's the site mods who are allowed to revel in ridiculing other members. What a sad hole this place has become...

I rushed home past some ruffians in the local park to watch this at 10 pm, only to find it was on at 11 pm....so, I legged back over to the local pub for a "Last orders" bevvy, to drown my disappointment, then came and settled down back at home with a few more drinks to watch it....Bollox to all you nay-sayers out there, it re-kindled MANY old memories of just exactly WHY the Smiths mattered so much to me in the first place, and ( although admittedly, nowadays, sounding very much OF their time) they still do. Surely, in THIS day and age of Auto-tuned identikit -Music-by-numbers SHITE, ANY decent music by ANY genuinely talented band is worthy of any airplay/exposure ??
Or shall we just settle down and watch whatever The dark Lord Cowell decides we should like for us ??

My love for Marr, Morrissey , Joyce and Rourke is still devout....I think some of the Gripers on here are just a tad envious that they were not around to witness the beautiful thing that they created first hand, unlike me, who was incredibly lucky to see them Live several times...I thought it was a very well made documentary, just wish it would have had More Live clips, instead of waffling about Quiffs, and Amy Lame's points of view concerning how the Smiths/Morrissey affected her were quite enlightening...I met a Canadian chap in Toronto in 1989, who also oved the Smiths/Morrissey, and was surprised that their "North west of England" style music and lyrics meant anything to him....we had a great few beers talking about that...I hope he gets to see this show sometime....Wherever I am, I bet I'm smiling now.....:):thumb:

Hear hear. Nice to see someone still appreciates the smiths and moz properly. This site is absolutely teeming with childish idiots.

Sorry for being a pedant, but Shane Medowes' Somers Town isn't set in North England.

:lbf:

People who say 'I'm sorry for being a pedant but...' generally aren't, but I stand suitably corrected. Grim down south? :thumb:

I'm still never going to watch it. And it does feature at least one grim northerner (Thomas Turgoose?) in black & white shit-o-vision.

Re:

:lbf:

People who say 'I'm sorry for being a pedant but...' generally aren't, but I stand suitably corrected. Grim down south? :thumb:

I'm still never going to watch it. And it does feature at least one grim northerner (Thomas Turgoose?) in black & white shit-o-vision.

I didn't know you are such a biased bigot.

Shane Medows is one of the best British filmmakers since 90s.
I've watched all his films except forthcoming Stone Roses documentary.
I was lucky to meet him and Paddy Considine in 2009.

It's not his best, but a really charming little gem.

I enjoyed it very much. It was too short as has been mentioned, and I wasn't really expecting great things so a pleasant surprise. Quite why the USA aspect was discussed I don't know, particularly, as has been proved, the further Morrissey moved away from his home soil the more petals fell off.

Although it didn't come close to the excellent South Bank Show documentary it stirred so many memories, good and ill. At the end I was left mourning their passing as strongly as I did when they went away so suddenly all those years ago.

I'll always be left wondering just what greatness could have come of the lyrics from Viva Hate being draped gracefully over Marr's brilliance. Perhaps we could have had an album to eclipse even The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways. We'll never know.

Last edited:

Bollox to all you nay-sayers out there, it re-kindled MANY old memories of just exactly WHY the Smiths mattered so much to me in the first place, and ( although admittedly, nowadays, sounding very much OF their time) they still do. Surely, in THIS day and age of Auto-tuned identikit -Music-by-numbers SHITE, ANY decent music by ANY genuinely talented band is worthy of any airplay/exposure ??
Or shall we just settle down and watch whatever The dark Lord Cowell decides we should like for us ??

Well said, Dave....the further in time we move from The Smiths, the more we seem to see music tumble into a quagmire of homogenised tripe.
Someone once despairing of the then current music trends lamented "....and The Beatles can't come and save us this time!" Then the band in question became The Sex Pistols, and now I feel The Smiths have become the prime example of inspirational music draped in a truly independent aesthetic.

We will never see their like again, so all the more reason to celebrate what they left us with!

I enjoyed it very much. It was too short as has been mentioned, and I wasn't really expecting great things so a pleasant surprise. Quite why the USA aspect was discussed I don't know, particularly, as has been proved, the further Morrissey moved away from his home soil the more petals fell off.

Although it didn't come close to the excellent South Bank Show documentary it stirred so many memories, good and ill. At the end I was left mourning their passing as strongly as I did when they went away so suddenly all those years ago.

I'll always be left wondering just what greatness could have come of the lyrics from Viva Hate being draped gracefully over Marr's brilliance. Perhaps we could have had an album to eclipse even The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways. We'll never know.

The Smiths were perfect, and it is difficult to say what would have happened if they had continued. The group dynamic that made them so great could also have eventually become stifling, and we may not have had the deeply personal lyrics that came later in many of Morrissey's solo songs. While they probably would have produced at least a few more outstanding records, at least we didn't have to witness a downward spiral; they went out on top, so their legacy will always remain untarnished. As for the American influence, I don't think we should be completely blamed for the changes in Morrissey's music or in his demeanor. While I would agree that the US can be a shallow, uninspiring place, there were other circumstances that affected M, including the court case, attacks in the media, unfavorable reviews, a break up, and of course, the end of his partnership with Marr. These would be major stressors for anyone, but imagine the affect that they would have on someone who was innately more sensitive. It would probably make that person a bit more guarded and cynical. Anyway, we can only dream of what would have been and enjoy what was. You're very fortunate that you had the opportunity to experience the Smiths in the moment; in America, we only heard bits and pieces on 'alternative' radio. I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

lynnda

Re:

I didn't know you are such a biased bigot.

Shane Medows is one of the best British filmmakers since 90s.
I've watched all his films except forthcoming Stone Roses documentary.
I was lucky to meet him and Paddy Considine in 2009.

It's not his best, but a really charming little gem.

"A biased bigot"? Seriously?
I've seen enough of Meadows' work to know it's not my cup of Ceylon. A difference of taste, that's all. A matter of opinion. Not 'bias'. Not 'bigotry'. With all due respect Kewpie, before you start directing criticisms at people you should get a better grip on the English language. Calling someone a 'sycophant' because they like a documentary that you didn't, or a 'bigot' because they don't like a film director that you do, is a wee bit strong. In the town I live in 'bigotry' amounts to a hell of alot more than disagreements about film directors ~ matters of flesh slashed and blood spilled.
There's a fine line between insults and criticisms but the line exists nonetheless. You should also look up all meanings of the word 'moderation'.

Last edited:
Really exciting to see the album design mockups of Morrissey's that Jo Slee showed. He knew his shit. :eek: I mean he knew EXACTLY what the printer needed.

Re:

"A biased bigot"? Seriously?
I've seen enough of Meadows' work to know it's not my cup of Ceylon. A difference of taste, that's all. A matter of opinion. Not 'bias'. Not 'bigotry'. With all due respect Kewpie, before you start directing criticisms at people you should get a better grip on the English language. Calling someone a 'sycophant' because they like a documentary that you didn't, or a 'bigot' because they don't like a film director that you do, is a wee bit strong. There's a fine line between insults and criticisms but the line exists nonetheless. You should also look up all meanings of the word 'moderation'.

I generally can't stand you, but...

:thumb:

Really exciting to see the album design mockups of Morrissey's that Jo Slee showed. He knew his shit. :eek: I mean he knew EXACTLY what the printer needed.

That really was amazing to see! I thought the same thing; where was Morrissey's trainining in this? It was very cool. I wish we got more of Jo Slee, I think she really understood our Morrissey:blushing:

Last edited:

I really enjoyed this program:)

I wish they had spent less time on Simon Armitage. I have to admit I am not particularly familiar with him outside of his interview with Morrissey, but that was enough to turn me off to him! It really bothered me when he said "Morrissey is not a poet". Screw him. He must have been an obnoxious jerk because Moz was not happy with him. Last month the NY Times gave a very unfavorable review to his latest book,Walking Home, the reviewer said the reader would have a hard time getting through the book and he would not have read the whole thing if it had not been required for work...ouch!...LOL!

That really was amazing to see! I thought the same thing; where was Morrissey's trainining in this? It was very cool. I wish we got more of Jo Slee, I think she really understood our Morrissey:blushing:

buy her book [well it's out of order] Peepholism into the Art of Morrissey

no my reply, on some say that it was good, I don't need to see a documantary how it feeled in those days
and how special the Smiths were, as I wrote at the 30th Hand in Glove, I was 18

my point is if you've seen and read a lot, like the Southbank show, the importance oif being Morrissey,
I was dissapointed that they used Morrissey's coments at other docs, the few images of their live gigs
were as Always goosebumps, but it didn't add much to what we know, even the cover art wasn't, the
one from Hand in Glove, which we had years ago a great item discussion about, , sure Jo Slee
was great but she was more telling about Morrissey and about the album/single covers in general

Sure I enjoyed it, it's the Smiths, whom had infuence on and in my life, like I'm not alone,
through the lyrics I felt connection, so it's not about if you'r a truly Smiths fan

but it's a missed oportunity, it could've been better...not much what's been showed was
realy new news to me, it's great The Smiths got Airplay on BBC2, and their music still
is infuential , and young people get the same feeling as I and lots got, when they heard a Smiths song the first time

my 2 eurocents again, minus 1 for the south Holland grammar errors

Last edited:

Sorry to be a pedant but it's spelt Shane Meadows.

Back
Top Bottom