Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

Wow, not that surprising, because this tour seemed to be a whole mess right from the announcement, but nevertheless: what another asshole-move. I don't get the people that constantly defend this behaviour with potential health problems or he doesn't owe an explanation. Because he does. It's part of the deal if you advertise a concert and cash in on the tickets. And last but not least out of courtesy to the fans that pay your bills at the end of the day. This shows no respect, absolutely none. In the past I thought at least "sold out"-venues were "safe" but I stand corrected. And to announce the Quarry- tour on the day he cancels Perth and to send love to all Australians (except the people of Perth) on the day he cancels NZ without explanation....that's not behaviour of a depressed man. That's just "I don't give a f***" behaviour. People who accept being treated like that as a fan have serious Stockholm syndrome. That's maybe why he doesn't go to Europe, promoters there would sue the shit out of him.
Yeah that post about loving Aussies whilst cancelling Auckland at around the same time has Really Annoyed me.
I am gutted that he's not coming to NZ and it would really help to know Why?!
But the very least he could do is send his Kiwi fans some love as well...we are hurting.

Yikes. The fact that this show was the very last leg of the tour and was a completely sold out show is alarming. He is up there in age and many artists have been open on how draining touring can be mentally so for the people saying it’s due to him focusing on his mental health I wouldn’t doubt that’s the reason why.
I've been following his tour online for the last month or so and when he cancelled Perth I started to get uneasy.
Having tickets for Auckland tomorrow night, and knowing it was the last show, I thought he'd probably be tired and 'over it'.
However, there's always going to be a 'Last Show' on every tour, and because it sold out on the first day I hoped that he'd be excited to come here.
I think I just want to hear an actual explanation, and maybe an apology.

And yet still here you are!

For what reason? There must be something about him that you like?

I think the ex-fan phenomenon is more interesting and deserving of attention than the Latino-fan phenomenon ever was. Just hilarious.
It’s no great hardship to read and post on a Morrissey website. You make out like I’m making some huge sacrifice. I’m not.

I like most of his back catalogue, though his output since 2010 has been pretty lousy.

Anyhow, he doesn’t get a penny from me anymore. He doesn’t deserve it. No gigs, no albums (not that he has a label anymore - though presumably that’s everyone else’s fault, never his).

You really don’t need to simp for him so hard. It’s a bit obsessive of you. He isn’t the witty and charming man of 1984 or 1992 or 2004 anymore.

He had a great run but…yeah, it’s over now.

I really feel sorry for the true believers here who continually defend him no matter what he says or does. It must take enormous energy and dedication to do this day after day after day. I would certainly admire your love and loyalty if it weren't for the fact that it is directed towards someone
completely unworthy of your devotion. When my own strong feelings for Moz finally broke down it was like admitting to myself that I was in an unhealthy and abusive relationship! I had to get out of it. What do you gain by arguing day after day with his detractors? Does this make you feel closer to him? Do you really think he cares about you? Do you believe the boiler plate declarations of love he gives his audiences? He certainly makes sublimely beautiful music, but I personally don't believe a word he says.

Protect yourselves true believers. Diversify your love. There are other heroes you can revere. You are in an abusive relationship.

It's puzzling. So much love and goodwill from the fans...for simply caring enough to change up 2 of the songs on the setlist. Then he blows it away again by cancelling NZ. One step forwards, two leaps back. With his career barely hanging on, he can't possibly afford to keep disappointing, or can he?

Something is very broken here. I don't know what it is but they (Camp Morrissey) continue to schedule tours that Morrissey is either incapable or unwilling to complete. Why is that? Morrissey thinking he can do more than he can? Initial eagerness followed by a lack of motivation once the tour starts? Lower than expected ticket sales might sometimes be a factor but not always as sold-out shows are now canceled. There just doesn't appear to be any learning or improvement and the same "unforeseen issues" continue to happen.

I think some honesty from Morrissey would go a long way instead of the callous way these cancelations are handled. There will probably be a "victory lap" post on Central about how much he enjoyed the AU shows... but no acknowledgment or mention of the ones canceled.

Something is very broken here. I don't know what it is but they (Camp Morrissey) continue to schedule tours that Morrissey is either incapable or unwilling to complete. Why is that? Morrissey thinking he can do more than he can? Initial eagerness followed by a lack of motivation once the tour starts? Lower than expected ticket sales might sometimes be a factor but not always as sold-out shows are now canceled. There just doesn't appear to be any learning or improvement and the same "unforeseen issues" continue to happen.

I think some honesty from Morrissey would go a long way instead of the callous way these cancelations are handled. There will probably be a "victory lap" post on Central about how much he enjoyed the AU shows... but no acknowledgment or mention of the ones canceled.
Screenshot_20231212-225420-911.png
This lovely comment was posted yesterday around the same time as Auckland was cancelled.
Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds of us Kiwi fans :(

It's puzzling. So much love and goodwill from the fans...for simply caring enough to change up 2 of the songs on the setlist. Then he blows it away again by cancelling NZ. One step forwards, two leaps back. With his career barely hanging on, he can't possibly afford to keep disappointing, or can he?
He has no career now. Not really.

The labels don’t want to know and he won’t self release. Until and unless he changes his mind, we will never see another Morrissey album.

All he has (had?) left is touring, and he seems determined to throw that away too.

I think he’s just sort of given up on life and given up on his career now. He simply no longer cares. He’s in self destruct mode.

The departure of Boz (and the totally weird radio silence from Morrissey regarding this) set alarm bells ringing for me. I felt in my bones that losing the stability and familiarity that Boz represented would spell the beginning of the end for Morrissey as a credible live act. And so it has proved.

Alain’s return provided a flicker of hope, but he quite understandably left again and it was terribly sad and not at all unexpected.

This is a controversial topic on solo, but I’m beginning to think that it’s not even Morrissey that makes those ‘thank you’ posts on Central.

Unless Morrissey gets a perverse pleasure from posting those on Central knowing full well that he’s going to cancel the next shows. That’s if he did indeed knew, or those cancellations were all of a sudden.

Anyway, and unfortunately, you probably won’t get an explanation, or anything satisfactory.
I don't know if He actually wrote the Aussie Love post but the timing was Terrible.
Couldn't they have posted that comment a day earlier or later so it didn't coincide with the Auckland cancellation?!
Feels like he doesn't give a shit about his Kiwi fans, and yes we may never know Why he cancelled, but an apology would certainly help.

I think maybe a little detail would be helpful and make fans feel a little less disappointed.

Dengue infection" "I was travelling in a remote part of Mexico and contracted Dengue fever. Dr. told me to rest for 3 weeks, I am so very sorry and disappointed for may fans".

Band Injury: "Band member X has sprained their finger and is unable to play for 6 days. We cannot get a replacement so soon, so we will resume the tour in City X. We are really sorry for this but accidents happen".

Logistical Issues: "Unfortunately the aircraft assigned for our flight has been changed to one that is too small to accomodate our equipment. Due to cancellations, and full flights we are unable to get vital equipment in to the country. We are really sorry, it is out of our control and we are as disappointed as you are".
Of those 3 excuses only the dengue is valid. You can't have a Moz concert without Moz. You can live without a guitarist or whoever and just do slightly different versions of the songs. You can live without most equipment except the bare minimum needed to do an acoustic set. Professional musicians know how to think around problems like that. Basically a show can go ahead if the singer can sing and if there's a guitar and drums they can borrow. And if they have a mike and electricity.

Why would anyone, with Moz’s track record, ever spend this amount of money!
I've been lucky so far. The only times I've been affected in 32 years were the Melbourne gig in 1991, the London Roundhouse shows in 2008 (he cancelled half of them) and the one in Istanbul in 2014. He plays regularly in the UK/Europe and the USA but the opportunities to see him in Australia/Asia are very far and few between, so of course I'm going to try to see him when he's here.

I agree.

I believe he only has a tour manager. Not a proper manager or a public relations person.
So if these common sense things and basic etiquette in dealing with the public are left to him, then it seems, he and his fans are fuucked. He does himself no favors, especially in the long run.
It would make me, and everyone else who was looking forward to tomorrow night, feel a lot better if Someone from his camp could put out an apology.
That's all I want.
Just 'Sorry NZ, I was really looking forward to seeing you all but I had to cancel because of XYZ blah blah'.
I don't think that's too much to ask.
A little Kiwi Love would go a long way after the Aussie Love was rubbed in our faces yesterday.
That's the part that Really stings...oh well, enough said..

It would make me, and everyone else who was looking forward to tomorrow night, feel a lot better if Someone from his camp could put out an apology.
That's all I want.
Just 'Sorry NZ, I was really looking forward to seeing you all but I had to cancel because of XYZ blah blah'.
I don't think that's too much to ask.
A little Kiwi Love would go a long way after the Aussie Love was rubbed in our faces yesterday.
That's the part that Really stings...oh well, enough said..

Don't you get it? This is what he likes. He likes to create chaos and anguish. In fact, he revels in it. Why else would he do this over and over again? And people complain, make up excuses and keep supporting him. I'm sure he finds it very entertaining.

I have had a week away from here in an attempt to reduce the time spent on social media and to spend more time on priorities. The news of ( or maybe lack of explanation for) the cancellation has brought me back here at speed. He couldn't have chosen another career - by his own admission he didn't want to work, and even now could he could be described as a NEET (not in education, employment or training), and he gets paid to do what he would do as a hobby. He does not know about such things as going to work when you don't feel like it, having to please people you don't agree with because they have the power, having to stick with a job you hate because you need the money. He could learn these things though! I haven't given up on him. I do hope things are ok with him, but many thoughts for those disappointed.
Maybe in the next world Moz will reincarnated as a person who has to work three menial jobs a day to make ends meet for his wife and large family.

I really feel sorry for the true believers here who continually defend him no matter what he says or does. It must take enormous energy and dedication to do this day after day after day.
Not at all, in fact it’s probably draining to not accept a person for who they are, to constantly be banging your head against a wall, expecting them to change to be someone they are not, and never could be.
I would certainly admire your love and loyalty if it weren't for the fact that it is directed towards someone
completely unworthy of your devotion. When my own strong feelings for Moz finally broke down it was like admitting to myself that I was in an unhealthy and abusive relationship! I had to get out of it. What do you gain by arguing day after day with his detractors?

What do detractors get out of detracting? It must be draining to come on to a site dedicated to an artist that they don’t care for anymore and somehow think they can change the artist by being negative and complaining. And btw, I’m not defending his cancellations, I’ve been there myself, and yes it sucks, but he is who he is. The door to exit ‘Moz fandom’ is not hard to find, but why is it for so many like you that still stick around?

Maybe in the next world Moz will reincarnated as a person who has to work three menial jobs a day to make ends meet for his wife and large family.

He probably already had a taste of that in a past life, that’s why he’s chosen what he is.

One thing is definitely clear here. Whether you are a Morrissey defender or hater or you are apathetic and indifferent, or anywhere in between, EVERYONE would like to know the real reason behind why Morrissey cancels his scheduled concerts so f**king often. I mean, I'm sure he has canceled for a plethora of reasons in the past, but there is something terribly wrong with this behavior. I am quite certain that no one in the history of live musical performance has anyone canceled more shows than he has throughout his entire career. We are all left wondering and concerned with the truth that lies behind this type of conduct and attitude.

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:
Would have been so nice to have had an explanation from the man. Truly, truly disappointed.

I remember once NIN Trent Reznor canceled a show here in Sydney on the day.
He flew back to Sydney 6 months later and did the one show and flew out again. He flew all that way just to do that one show.
He did that because he actually gives a crap about his fans.

I remember not long ago seeing Anthony Keidis hobbling along in a moon boot at Red Hot Chili Peppers concert.
Then there was Dave Grohl doing shows on a bloody throne because he busted his leg and wasn’t able to stand up.

Imagine Morrissey doing just one of these things for his fans.
Absolutely not.

I was lucky enough to be at his NYE show in LA a
Few years back, the entire time leading up to it, I was prepared he was going cancel it. I only got tickets becosuse I was going to be in LA at that time of year. I didn’t travel exclusively just for the show and no fans should now, especially with the disrespect he shows them.

I know this is incredibly unlikely, considering how many shows he's canceled over the years for no reason at all, but if Moz or someone in the band got covid in Mexico, could that be causing some of these issues? Is there any restrictions on flying internationally if you've tested positive within a certain number of weeks? Or could covid cause unexpected health issues even after you're over it? Exhaustion, fatigue? It doesn't excuse being vague and closed off about all this, but I'm just wondering if that could somehow be contributing to all this. I couldn't leave Spain last year until I paid €50 for a covid test, no exceptions. And if it didn't show negative I couldn't get on my flight home. Is anything like that still happening? Or is all that over?

Back
Top Bottom