Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

At some point, you've just got to laugh.

He doesn't care. He just doesn't care at all.

To be perfectly honest, they're not really missing much - 1.5 hours of the same decade(s) old setlist. The absences of Boz/Alain are glaring, which very few will admit. It's clearly a different story when he's visiting the far corners of the globe, as you've maybe never seen him, understandable. Get your refund and spend your money on someone who appreciates it.
Not true. Being at a Morrissey show is a wonderful and unforgettable experience. There must be many unhappy Moz fans in NZ today. I'd be gutted if I had tickets.

I feel sorry for fans who paid for flights and hotels. Fans who don't even have the comfort of an official reason/excuse for the cancellation. If Moz is to blame then he should feel bad about this. If he isn't to blame his team should explain why NZ is cancelled. Not good to end a tour on a cancellation.
I don’t! He is well known for cancelling! Never buy tickets that involve expensive travel unless it’s to a place that you want to go to anyway!

Lets have the honest conversation, he just picks and chooses what he turns up to. The flip side to that is the venue size continues to get smaller and smaller as his audience gradually walks away.
And the band. Imagine this tour as your exciting "induction"… it would be madness to stay.

Not true. Being at a Morrissey show is a wonderful and unforgettable experience. There must be many unhappy Moz fans in NZ today. I'd be gutted if I had tickets.
I did state the exception for fans who rarely have the chance to see him. Of course there are gutted fans in NZ/Perth etc. Take the time to read before you leap in sweetheart x

I understand that any cancelled show is disappointing, but... what could he say without being instantly bashed? =>
Dengue infection: "Boo!! He lies, no dengue reported in the area!"
Band member has an injury: "Boo!! Take some pills and show up!"
Logistic issues: "Boo!! Poor planing, you s*#k you bunch of [&#%*^] !!!" 😕
I think maybe a little detail would be helpful and make fans feel a little less disappointed.

Dengue infection" "I was travelling in a remote part of Mexico and contracted Dengue fever. Dr. told me to rest for 3 weeks, I am so very sorry and disappointed for may fans".

Band Injury: "Band member X has sprained their finger and is unable to play for 6 days. We cannot get a replacement so soon, so we will resume the tour in City X. We are really sorry for this but accidents happen".

Logistical Issues: "Unfortunately the aircraft assigned for our flight has been changed to one that is too small to accomodate our equipment. Due to cancellations, and full flights we are unable to get vital equipment in to the country. We are really sorry, it is out of our control and we are as disappointed as you are".

What baffles me is how promoters/insurers go anywhere near him?!
insurers will insure anyone,his cost will be so much higher because he has a track record of cancelling.

You know how they say don’t meet your idols? I wish I didn’t bump into him unfortunately. I was very respectful of his space but he wouldn’t even acknowledge that I existed. Everyone has bad days but he was beyond rude. Currently at the airport flying to Auckland lol. Honestly considering selling my LA tickets after that interaction as I am flying from AUS.

The contempt he has for fans is despicable. Only if they've paid their money and he feels in the mood to sing and bask in their love does he acknowledge them. Sorry that happened, but what an eye-opener.

Well he's 6 and 6 on this tour, so in Morrissey land he's batting an impressive .500.

I did state the exception for fans who rarely have the chance to see him. Of course there are gutted fans in NZ/Perth etc. Take the time to read before you leap in sweetheart x
You did indeed state that, sweetheart, but your message got lost somewhat sandwiched as it was between you haven't missed much and get a refund. :lbf:

heartbroken in Auckland... for all of you moaning about setlists, band members etc just spare a thought for all of us in NZ, doubt very much he will grace these shores again...
After going through the same stress with the absurd cancellation of the latin american leg of the tour (not sure if he will honour them in February), my heart goes out to you

And the band. Imagine this tour as your exciting "induction"… it would be madness to stay.

don’t know, seems like a sweet ride to me. Still getting paid & seeing the world. They look to be having fun, in their photo posts.

Was the 3hr flight from Sydney to Auckland too much for feeble Morrissey? Or was it too much trouble packing the equipment and checking it in for a direct flight across the Tasman Sea?

Looks like there's no chance for Latin America in February...

Last edited:
He wouldn’t but then he doesn’t have the worldwide appeal to afford to do so.

Any news on Alain Whyte performing these shows in 2024?
Or to put it more accurately, Alain Whyte actually has respect for his fans and doesn’t cancel gigs at the drop of a hat just because he can’t be arsed.

The Morrissey of 2023 really is a sad sight to behold.

Or to put it more accurately, Alain Whyte actually has respect for his fans and doesn’t cancel gigs at the drop of a hat just because he can’t be arsed.

The Morrissey of 2023 really is a sad sight to behold.
Have you seen him? Most people who did actually disagree if you read the tour reports here.

Back
Top Bottom