York - York Barbican (June 25, 2011) post-show

I listened to that World Party album Goodbye Jumbo the other day. I had toturn it off after 5 songs cos it was so bland.

Have another listen to 'You Are The Quarry' and try to tell me that at least half the tunes on there couldn't have turned up on the follow-up to George Michael's 'Listen Without Prejudice'. Musically, it's possibly the most lifeless, insipid record he's ever made, but according to latter-day fans of Steve, it's "a classic".

What an amazing gig! My first Morrissey gig and it was everything I hoped for and more! :love: His voice really IS wonderful and I was captivated by his blue eyes. I'll never forget this concert. + Everyone I met was great! I was offered a drink one second after I arrived :D but the most wonderful person I met was Hugh (not sure if I spelled your name right?) you said you live in Chile and when you heard it was my first Morrissey gig you offered me to give up your space at the barrier.
Great setlist! I loved first of the gang, there's a light..., everyday is like sunday and I know it's over.

Great gig at York on Saturday night- Moz on good form, loved the traditional Yorkshire greeting of Eeeh Bah Gum (or however you spell it!)
Also liked the way he referred to the band as the Tetley Bitter Men and the crowd as the OLD York Dolls!
Speedway,I want the one I can't have and the re-worked Meat is Murder were my favourites, the last being very powerful live with the filmed backdrop and red lighting.Liked the way he changed into the red shirt at Glastonbury during this one too.Atmosphere at York far better though, due to the love of the crowd:)

You summed the situation (re. Morrissey's need to surround himself with people who are in awe of him) up perfectly, here. He needs people who won't always defer to his opinion; having people in his band who just do as they're told has led him into the creative cul-de-sac he's been in for most of the last decade.

Not a huge fan of Butler, but I do like quite a few of the early Suede songs (particularly on 'Dog Man Star') and the McAlmont & Butler songs were good too, so maybe it could work. I seem to remember reading that Butler is a bit of a control freak in the studio and I think, where the music and the arrangements and the production are concerned, Morrissey NEEDS that. He needs someone who knows what they're doing to exercise a bit of quality control. Somehow, though, I can't see Morrissey going along with that arrangement. He would see that as beneath him - regardless of the fact that the last 2 albums show that he hasn't a clue what he's doing.

Musicians I'd like him to work with again are Craig Gannon, Johnny Bridgewood and Woodie Taylor. I accept, though, that none of those have the kind of 'gravitas' to command Morrissey's respect and make him listen, so Butler could still be the one. Alternatively, that guy who was Robbie Williams' co-writer for years would be a great (Guy somebody?). Disregard his association with Williams and you have to admit, he writes some cracking pop tunes - tunes that Morrissey badly needs.

Oh well, it's his career to wreck, his own way.

I think we both agree. Moz requires someone else with real gravitas, real ideas, real independence to bring the best out of him. All the great partnerships had that: Lennon/Macca, Morrissey/Marr, Brown/Squire. Once they left the band situation and the tensions, there was a notable decline in every case. Thankfully Moz still had good songwriters around him for most of his solo career and therefore has remained more relevant than most artists who disbanded great bands. But Tobias is the low water mark.

I can't see why anyone would recommend reuniting with Craig Gannon - did he even pen a Morrissey or Smiths song? WHat makes you think a Smiths session musician would be the way to go? Are you CG?!

I find it extraordinary that you're suggesting Craig Gannon or Robbie Williams' co-writer ahead of John Squire - a genius guitarist and wonderful songwriter who just needs a new foil, Reilly who is also superbly gifted and quite radical, and Butler who is probably the greatest guitarist/songwriter of the past 15 years. I believe Moz did actually approach Butler, but Butler had decided to form the Tears by that point and therefore declined Morrissey's offer. He then went on the web and posted some snide remarks about Morrissey's band, which means Moz will never be able to work with him now - his pride precludes it. It's a shame because both of them are geniuses and only Butler among the credible, talented guitarists currently out of work can produce the kind of glam rock Morrissey aspires to. He'll never get there with Jesse! I would actually envisage Morrissey/Butler sounding somewhere between T Rex and Dog Man Star, which would be truly orgasmic. Butler can play anything and can cr*p better stuff than Jesse. If Butler is out of the question, why not approach Squire? He's another ego-driven chap but he's quite artistic and interesting, quite intelligent and a magnificent guitarist. Even if it only lasted for one album, what has he really got to lose? I don't understand it. For God's sake, drop that pub rock power-cord playing session musician and hire SOMEONE - ANYONE - with a track record of great songwriting and guitar playing.

Imagine how dreadful Marc Bolan would have sounded if he had not played guitar and instead had hired a pub rock guitarist - that is how Morrissey sounds now. The world is being denied something truly special. Because - and I say this with love for Morrissey, not malice for his band - Morrissey remains an extraordinarily gifted singer-songwriter. With the right foil, he could be producing stuff as exciting and throat-squeezing as The Queen is Dead. With Butler, Squire, Reilly, that could happen. Until then we'll have to pray for a few moments of genius from Whyte for the next album, because it requires epic songwriting to transform anything Jesse plays into a passable piece of pop music.

For the record , John Squire does not want or need 'a new foil' , he's a full time artist now and doesn't even play guitar . As for working with Robbie Williams ex-collaborators , Stephen Duffy would be a better bet , now that guy can right a tune..............

My husband and I came all the way to York from Essex to see Morrissey for my birthday and had a great time! My third time seeing Moz and my husbands first ever time. Got chatting to a couple of localish guys in the hall, one from Canada called Darren? It was wonderful being so close to Morrissey and so many other people as got quite squashed as we were about 3rd from the front and smack bang in the centre of stage. Didn't get a touch but hey ho. He is just a hundred times better in the flesh in both voice and looks. I think my personal highlight was Speedway. Hope to see him some day when he ventures back down south again. Great night. Thanks York!

I was right in front of the stage, in the centre, 2nd row and as soon as Matt began to play I was expelled violently by a young blond monster (who looked like Hurley) and another giant skinny mtfcker. I`ve been to thounsands of football matches I have never experienced such a thing. It seems that seeing a Moz concert in England is an experience that requires force and surviving skills. Minutes after, I saw a very big guy (military, I suppose) saying things to `Hurley` because there were 2 short old ladies (that were also pushing people) being smashed by him. After that, there was almost a fight, I saw a guy spitting and provoking another. Aprt from that, the performance I managed to see was great.

Back
Top Bottom