ShoutoutLA: "Meet Brendan Buckley | Drummer" (November 20, 2023)

c-PersonalBrendanBuckley__BBInmyDefense_1698614458966.jpg

"I am a freelance musician. This means that every year of my career looks remarkably different than the previous one. And, I actually have very little ability to predict what adventures lie around the corner. I work with a variety of different artists. Sometimes, I am hired by a manager or artist to perform on a live concert tour. Other times, I am hired by a producer or artist to record music in a studio for a new album... "

He and the two women in the band are why Morrissey will never again capture the once-in-a-lifetime magic of Alain-Gary-Boz-Spencer. They were an actual band and you could hear it and feel it.
I just don't think Morrissey himself sees it that way. Sorry. We feel that way and so do large parts of this old band but he had people like Gary and Spence replaced at short notice for the Vauxhall recording sessions because neither of them seemed suitable for a quieter album. Boz then did the dirty work and Morrissey didn't seem to care. It's in your head and mine, because it was the start of his live solo career and because everything was stunning, they were young, attractive and cool. Now Tobias finds the right words in his environment and it doesn't reach Morrissey, that more than 50% of his old fans don't like Tobias as the guitarist and songwriter at his side. I feel sorry for the two women. They'll be gone as quickly as they were there. Maybe he'll notice, maybe he won't.

Yep, the flight from LA to Japan is about 10-11 hours, so nicer than the 15-16 hours of a flight from LA to Australia. Then after spending a day or two in Japan, the flight to Australia is only about another 6-7 hours. It does sometimes make you wonder if 'technical issues' are really just Moz's dislike / fear of flying?
could be,would anyone want to sit in the same place for twenty hours from the uk to australia.

He and the two women in the band are why Morrissey will never again capture the once-in-a-lifetime magic of Alain-Gary-Boz-Spencer. They were an actual band and you could hear it and feel it.

But even if The Lads rejoined with M, how can they recapture a moment that was not only magical, but ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ which naturally means it could never be repeated?

Wow. He doesn't seem to personally identify as Morrissey's drummer, more of a mercenary who is emotionally detached from the music and only does it for the money...dare I say, a musician whore?
I suppose you have never heard of a professional musician trying to earn a living for himself and his family. He is not a 17 year old kid joining a band like Mike Joyce joining the Smiths as a teenager. He is a grown man and is doing a fantastic job of marking himself as a drummer available as both a studio and touring musician. If you think it's easy give it a try yourself.

I suppose you have never heard of a professional musician trying to earn a living for himself and his family. He is not a 17 year old kid joining a band like Mike Joyce joining the Smiths as a teenager. He is a grown man and is doing a fantastic job of marking himself as a drummer available as both a studio and touring musician. If you think it's easy give it a try yourself.
I don't blame him. It is clearly a job for him. Nothing more and that's ok.

But even if The Lads rejoined with M, how can they recapture a moment that was not only magical, but ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ which naturally means it could never be repeated?
They can't. They would have had to stay together and they didn't and so it will never be as special as it was from 1991 to 1995. Jonny Bridgwood carried on perfectly for Gary Day on bass.

The closest we came to an original Lads lineup reunion was in 1999 for the Oye Esteban tour. Had Morrissey never faxed his "Jew Boy" comment to Spencer which led him to quit one year earlier, it would have happened. And, presumably, the Boz/Alain/Gary/Spencer lineup would have went on to record YATQ as well.

I don't blame him. It is clearly a job for him. Nothing more and that's ok.
Not to argue with you, but if you are a professional musician it does not mean you don't care about the music you are playing that it is just a job and nothing more. It simply means you may be replaceable as parts on a lawnmower and as a 30 year old man caring for his wife and family as a professional musician it is his job to market himself as a touring and studio musician which is exactly what Brandan is doing. They guy is a true professional in every sense of the word.
Peace :)

Wow. He doesn't seem to personally identify as Morrissey's drummer, more of a mercenary who is emotionally detached from the music and only does it for the money...dare I say, a musician whore?
So... a session musician, then? The idea that anyone should feel compelled to stay forever on the sinking ship / cancellation zone and hopeless shitshow that is current Camp Moz is just laughable. The new band members are all session musicians, brought in at short notice to play and tour and they will be gone again in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
you do know we are in the 21st century,stop looking back at something that is dead and gone and will never happen again.

So... a session musician, then? The idea that anyone should feel compelled to stay forever on the sinking ship / cancellation zone and hopeless shitshow that is current Camp Moz is just laughable. The new band members are all session musicians, brought in at short notice to play and tour and they will be gone again in the blink of an eye.

And thank god. As much as I liked the 92 line up, the peak of the band’s cohesiveness and rocking abilities, it’s great and exciting to see new faces, and finally, women on the stage with M is simply awesome.

I can’t wait to see the next line up after this one !

VIVA MOZ !!!

:rock:

They can't. They would have had to stay together and they didn't and so it will never be as special as it was from 1991 to 1995. Jonny Bridgwood carried on perfectly for Gary Day on bass.

Great. So you accept that whoever is in the band, be it the Lads or the current line up, that it could never be as good as the 91-95 period. Fair enough. These things are subjective.

Great. So you accept that whoever is in the band, be it the Lads or the current line up, that it could never be as good as the 91-95 period. Fair enough. These things are subjective.
Never as good but the current lineup might be as bad as it can get, for me anyway. I have no interest in any of those people currently on stage with Morrissey.

Agree with that but you'd think he'd at least pretend that his current job is incredible and that it is a huge honor to be part of Morrissey's band! He is killing the illusion.

It's like you're blaming the musicians for that and not Morrissey. I thought the band right before this with Alain and Gustavo sounded great - a fairly tight unit. Yet it doesn't seem that Morrissey did anything to keep them or address their issues. So, yes, it's a band of hired hands... it is what it is... but that's Morrissey's choice.

Last edited:
Tip:
prior to posting, you should write your thought down onto a piece of paper, place it under your pillow for three days minimum, then reread to consider if it’s worth the effort.
This was a nod to a funny story that Spencer Cobrin once told. I'm sorry you don't know about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Except for Jesse. That guy ain't going anywhere. He's hanging on to Morrissey with a death-grip as he isn't worth anything anywhere else. M is all he's got and we as fans are lesser for it.

And thank god. As much as I liked the 92 line up, the peak of the band’s cohesiveness and rocking abilities, it’s great and exciting to see new faces, and finally, women on the stage with M is simply awesome.

I can’t wait to see the next line up after this one !

VIVA MOZ !!!

:rock:
I wouldn't say I'm excited but I'm not really bothered by it either, and I think the '92 nostalgia is a bit over the top. Moz is a solo artist and has been for decades... as long as the musicians are competent, I don't really mind who they are. I don't notice them much, I don't pay to see them. If they become songwriters and stand out that way, fair enough but I don't have any expectations.

Last edited:
Agree with that but you'd think he'd at least pretend that his current job is incredible and that it is a huge honor to be part of Morrissey's band! He is killing the illusion.
I like his honesty, even if it means he might be out of the door. I don't think having sycophants around him has helped M at all.

He's not asked about being the drummer in Morrissey's band so he doesn't talk about being the drummer in Morrissey's band. He's a musician for hire. Moz is a solo artist. Since The Smiths came to an end Moz has used musicians for hire. That's how solo artists operate. From Andrew Paresi to Brendan Buckley, Moz has gone through how many drummers? I would imagine anyone working for Morrissey knows that at any moment they could receive a fax or a text message informing them, it's over. Must be kind of scary and thrilling at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom