Tracy Chapman in 2023

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
This end-of-year overview includes news of Luke Combs cover of Fast Car, two podcasts, and more, for any enthusiasts :)

The year 2023 has been eventful regarding Tracy Chapman's news, although there hasn't really been any news as such. No new album. No tour nor any concert. No TV appearance. And yet this year we celebrated the 35th anniversary of the release of her Debut Album in one of the most beautiful ways possible: with Tracy Chapman returning to the media spotlight, being reminded her long-time fans of her talent and discovered by an entirely new generation of listeners.

wp9199424.jpg

- https://tracychapmanonline.substack.com/p/lets-review-tracy-chapmans-2023-year?r=22u0q

1706911332628.png

Last July, Combs’ manager, Chris Kappy told Billboard : “We would be more than excited if the opportunity arose for Tracy and Luke to perform the song together”. That time is NOW!

If you don’t already know, the Grammy Awards / GRAMMYs are awards presented by the Recording Academy of the United States to recognize outstanding achievements in the music industry. It's american, but the whole world watches them and considers these awards as the must-have in a musical career.

In the past, Tracy has been nominated 13 times and has already won 4 awards. For the record:

In 1989, at the 31st Annual Grammy Awards, she won:

• 🏆
    Best Contemporary Folk Recording (Tracy Chapman -Album)
  • 🏆
    Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female (Fast Car)
  • 🏆
    Best New Artist
but was also nominated for

• ⭐
    ️ Song Of The Year (Fast Car)
  • ⭐
    ️ Record Of The Year (Fast Car -Single)
  • ⭐
    ️ Album Of The Year (Tracy Chapman -Album)
In 1990, at the 32nd Annual Grammy Awards, she was nominated for:

• ⭐
    ️ Best Contemporary Folk Recording (Crossroads -Album)
In 1996, at the 39th Annual Grammy Awards, she won :

• 🏆
    Best Rock Song (Give Me One Reason)
but was also nominated for :

• ⭐
    ️ Best Female Rock Vocal Performance (Give Me One Reason -Track)
  • ⭐
    ️ Record Of The Year (Give Me One Reason -Track)
  • ⭐
    ️ Song Of The Year (Give Me One Reason -Track)
  • ⭐
    ️ Best Pop Album (New Beginning -Album)
In 2009, at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards, she was nominated for:

• ⭐
    ️ Best Contemporary Folk Album (Our Bright Future -Album)
This year, in 2024 at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards, Luke Combs is vying for Best Country Solo Performance (Fast Car).

Five days ago we learnt that Combs would get to perform at the Grammy’s for a second year in a row (yes he performed last year).

AND last night, Variety announced that Tracy Chapman will perform the song in duet with him. The article says “sources say” and “representatives for the Recording Academy could not be reached for comment.

So it’s not officially confirmed BUT it’s everywhere! Rolling Stone, Taste of Country, NME… Ok, they are all quoting Variety. But still, it's been hours since this was announced (let’s say leaked) but not denied, so silence implies consent (?)

I know I wasn't fond of Luke Combs' version, which I didn't take to heart upon its release and still don't listen to. But I must admit that thanks to its success, Tracy was once again brought to the forefront (even though she hates it). If she had been somewhat forgotten, she once again made headlines and received nominations and awards. Judge for yourself:

• November 8, 2023: ‘Fast Car’ won its 2 first CMA Awards as Single of the Year (for Luke) and Song of the Year (for Tracy) ;
  • November 21, 2023: Tracy Chapman was nominated for the 2024 class of the Songwriters Hall of Fame (but she wasn’t inducted, Donald Fagen & Walter Becker p/k/a Steely Dan were.)
  • January 18, 2024: it was announced that Tracy Chapman will receive a lifetime achievement award at the 2024 International Folk Music Awards on Feb. 21. The awards are held on the first day of the Folk Alliance International (FAI) Conference.
So, Tracy Chapman's presence at the Grammy Awards on Sunday night is just huge news! It's an opportunity for us to see her back in the spotlight, among la crème de la crème of the current music industry, and it will also be an opportunity for a whole generation to discover her.

I can't help but wonder:
🤔
if they will both play the guitar or not ;
🤔
who will sing which part ;
🤔
if Luke Combs wins his Grammy for Best Country Solo Performance, will Tracy also go up on stage to say a few words?
🤔
are these the beginnings of Tracy Chapman's official return to the limelight with a new album, concerts in the coming months?

First let’s see this performance on Sunday night on CBS for the Grammy Awards!! And for the rest, the future will tell us!!

Who else is expected to perform at the GRAMMYs?​

Having Tracy Chapman on the list of performers is so exceptional. And yet, on Sunday night, she won't be the only exception: indeed, Joni Mitchell will also perform there for the very first time in her career. Billy Joel is expected. As well as current popular artists Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa, Burna Boy and Travis Scott. Let's also note that U2 will also make "history" with the first-ever broadcast performance from the Sphere in Las Vegas.

How to watch & stream the GRAMMYs live for free:​

The live broadcast of the 2024 GRAMMYs will be available on CBS Television Network and can also be streamed through Paramount+. Subscribers of Paramount+ with SHOWTIME can stream it live through their local CBS affiliate’s feed on the service.

They also have the option to watch it on demand within the United States. However, those with Paramount+ Essential subscriptions won’t have the live streaming option, but they can watch it on-demand the day following the broadcast, exclusively in the U.S.

For those who plan to watch the show from outside the U.S., CBS and Paramount+ are available internationally through VPN

https://www.about-tracy-chapman.net...h-luke-combs-at-grammys-on-february-4th-2024/

The duet from last night's Grammys, Tracy and Luke, with their spell-binding performance of Fast Car

Back
Top Bottom