Scott Rodger (Maverick) leaks Morrissey information and email re: Bonfire / Miley via X (October 17, 2023)

There's been drama!

20231017_090414.jpg

20231017_090437.jpg

IMG_20231017_085912.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
I do find it strange that 10 months passed between Moz's email and Colombia's email response to Scott Rodger. And the email from the Columbia makes it clear that the decision was theirs, not Miley's, contrary to Rodger's assertions. It is sad how much control record companies have over their talent. These execs are all about business and have no appreciation for art. I agree with Moz in that regard. I'm hoping for the music to be released in some way or another.

What do we know about the release of Rebels without Applause? Do we know that he wasn't consulted about the release?

That whole thing seems odd and I can't find all that much info about it
It definitely played a huge part in the fallout.
Morrissey had already said Veronica would be the new single but Capitol released RWA instead, on a whim apparantly, catching everyone by surprise, including Morrissey.
He then went on to complain it was badly promoted by Capitol.

There ares few things that still aren't clear to me:

First, did Morrissey ever get a reply to his question? His whole email was asking "what does Miley want" and emphasizing that he will listen to her, but not to labels and managers. Sure, that's unrealistic but it is characteristic of him insofar as it is pro-artist and anti-business.

The other thing is whether the issue was her being officially credited on the album, or whether Moz/Capitol weren't allowed to mention it at all in any way (i.e. on stage). Did him mentioning it at a gig actually make a difference?

And is there a fee Columbia are asking for from Capitol before they can release the album with her vocal (even if uncredited)? And if so are Capitol willing to pay it? If Moz bought back the album from Capitol would it be a fee he could afford to pay himself?

Lots of mysteries remain.

It just dawned on me that Morrissey is similar to Trump. I hate to say that because I loathe Trump and I have loved Morrissey since I first heard his voice in 1986. But the fact is that all of the following statements could be said by me about either man...
  • I'm tired of the drama surrounding them.
  • Instead of focusing on what good he's done, I'm distracted by the trouble he's in or the trouble he has caused.
  • The case can be made that he is a narcissist.
  • He seems oblivious to other people's agendas, feelings, and priorities.
  • He seems incapable of admitting wrong and of apologizing.
  • He lies. He may even believe the lies he tells.

obi-wan.jpg

This is the best thing that could have happened, everything is going beautifully, Morrissey is correct.

It definitely played a huge part in the fallout.
Morrissey had already said Veronica would be the new single but Capitol released RWA instead, on a whim apparantly, catching everyone by surprise, including Morrissey.
He then went on to complain it was badly promoted by Capitol.
When did Moz say Veronica would be the first single? I can't recall that.

And just to be clear, what you are saying about RWA is based on the assumption that Morrissey would not have agree to switching the single and would not have agreed to that level of promotion? And obviously we know Capitol must have released it. Or do you have new information that Morrissey was not consulted regarding the RWA release?

When did Moz say Veronica would be the first single? I can't recall that.

And just to be clear, what you are saying about RWA is based on the assumption that Morrissey would not have agree to switching the single and would not have agreed to that level of promotion? And obviously we know Capitol must have released it. Or do you have new information that Morrissey was not consulted regarding the RWA release?
Didn’t he say it on stage, when he first sang it live?

You may be right actually, that would make sense. It did seem initially that Veronica was the obvious first single too, but they had to change it due to the Miley thing.

Still not seen any real info on why RWA had so little publicity though. If M was still in a grump after the change of plans that might explain his camp not promoting it, but that is afaik just speculation and doesn't really explain why Capitol didn't promote it.

And anyway, Moz did say in one interview that he didn't really mind which songs were released as singles iirc - that he loved all the songs so it didn't bother him. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Yes, Phoenix (May 10, 2022).
Press at the time - no pick up on the backing vocals.
Introduced via:
"We hope you like it, and if you don't – you must die!"

Re: RWA - covered throughout its build-up and post-release.

Regards,
FWD.

Has he cancelled tomorrow's gig yet. Surely that's inevitable. This is at least as big a real as "Ouija Board Ouija Board" getting panned by NME.

It just dawned on me that Morrissey is similar to Trump. I hate to say that because I loathe Trump and I have loved Morrissey since I first heard his voice in 1986. But the fact is that all of the following statements could be said by me about either man...
  • I'm tired of the drama surrounding them.
  • Instead of focusing on what good he's done, I'm distracted by the trouble he's in or the trouble he has caused.
  • The case can be made that he is a narcissist.
  • He seems oblivious to other people's agendas, feelings, and priorities.
  • He seems incapable of admitting wrong and of apologizing.
  • He lies. He may even believe the lies he tells.

He's constantly compared to Trump - or worse - when all he really does in public is sing.

I have no idea how relevant any of this is, but something I found interesting.

On roughly the 22nd of December last year Morrissey's official YouTube page name was changed to Leif Janzen, someone who works in marketing at Capitol. On the 19th of December last year he posted a picture of Instagram that he presumably took at the Morrissey show at the Greek on the 12th of November. Probably doesn't mean much but I was surprised to find that Insta post.

What brings you down to earth?
There's got to be disappointment over unpleasant agreement reversals, not handled well. The disrespect shown must be painful. But it's not the end of the world. That's happening elsewhere.

All that the email adds to what we knew already, is a sense the record company's not for turning, since Morrissey aired their shoddy treatment. I wonder if this is the first mention they made of finding a top Miley substitute? And they can't resist that dig that sounds familiar around here.

Never a dull moment. Time to lick wounds, talk it out with savvy mates, regroup, and while deciding what to do next about the recordings, rise to the requirements of the rest of this tour that's been going so well. Relish this, and much much more! Let's luff on!

giphy.gif

I can't believe that Miley f&cking Cyrus is part of the reason that I can't hear a morrissey album. That being said, JUST PAY BACK THE ADVANCE!!!
This ⬆️👍
The moment I saw Cyley Minus was involved, I knew things were about to go in the wrong direction. Would any decent fan want her name associated with M in any way? And to listen to her "vocals"?

Someone needs to show this to Miley. Lets hear what she has to say. She who must be obeyed. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing is a staged campaign. I do hope Miley pipes up now . How much does he mean to you Miley? Stand up and defend him. He's very sweet about her but the point he seems to miss is that it isn't a case of an artist disagreeing with a manager. Its a case of an artist that has signed a strict legal contract. The record company I assume has exclusive rights to Mileys output. If Miley records on another label whilst under contact it could be very costly. Capital went to the people capable of legaly blocking the albums release and asked them and they said no. It doesn't really matter what Miley says. So the real villians here are Columbia. The should have agreed to the vocal. What is their problem?
Morrissey should only pay back the advance to Capitaol if the advance was connected to the rights. Why should he pay back his advance? He offered an album, they agreed to release it. He recieved part payment for providing the aalbum. They refuse to release it due to a legal knot. Why does Morrissey now owe them money? For what? I wonder if this has reached Miley already. Someone should have reached out to her. There must have been some contact at some point.

just in,did something happen,seems everyone is typed out,fingers in plasters.
17 pages of the same stuff,95 percent of the people on here will download a bootleg copy,listen to it once,come on here and say its shit then delete.

There might be more to come if Morrissey lashes out. From one of Scotts posts -

Morrissey feels that with a consistent bullying campaign against Capitol that he'll somehow get his album back for free. I have the entire email chain on this process from Morrissey, Capitol and Columbia. If Morrissey keeps this up i'll publish

Last edited:
just in,did something happen,seems everyone is typed out,fingers in plasters.
17 pages of the same stuff,95 percent of the people on here will download a bootleg copy,listen to it once,come on here and say its shit then delete.
I liked all the new songs. I listened to them literal 100 times already. I would listen to a bootleg without a hesitation. Do I think the live version will be overall better? Yes. But still.

Back
Top Bottom