Record Store Day 2024: "Interlude" limited edition gold vinyl released today (April 20, 2024)

IMG_20240419_162836 (1).jpg

IMG_20240419_163052 (1).jpg
IMG_20240419_163023 (2).jpg
IMG_20240419_162929 (2).jpg
IMG_20240419_162910 (1).jpg

(Credit: FWD's copy).

First released as a 7", 12", Cassette and CD: August 8, 1994 and charting in the UK at number 25.
There is no matrix message on the gold vinyl.
Colourised art credit given to Esteban and (Darren) Evans.
Original sleeve credits were given to:
Sleeve: Whores In Retirement
Layout: Green Ink
Front cover photo: Roger Mayne
Photo used:
The "Girl Jiving" (1957) by Roger Mayne.
(Also known as: "Girl Jiving, Southam Street").
It was later used in a colourised form as a tour backdrop and first observed at Vicar Street, Dublin during Bonfire Of Teenagers (July 15, 2023).

The subject of the image was Eileen Sheekey:

4092930966_f2c6695d0b_b.jpg

(Credit: @davidt / @Kewpie via Peter / morrissey-solo.com - 2009)

Approximately one month after the usage of said image, it was an industry rumour that Interlude would be the 2024 Record Store Day release.
There are conflicting reports as to the amount made for RSD coupled with reported regional supply issues, but previous RSDs have been circa 3000-5000 copies.

The original release:

hi_1994_interlude12_1.jpg

(Credit: Vulgar Picture via Wayback).

Colourised backdrop:
("File:Girl Jiving ( Eileen Sheekey ) colored by Janay Miranda - Brazil.png" / Wikipedia).

Girl_Jivin_colour.png

(Credit: Pinterest).

Original labels:

R-492783-1416788963-4886 (1) (1).jpg
R-492783-1416788963-8234 (1) (1) (1).jpg

(Credit: Discogs).

Initial reports at the time suggested that Morrissey and Siouxsie had recorded Timi's "Hurt". It is unknown if it was ever recorded or was just misreported.

siouxsie_mm_1993.jpg

(Credit: Melody Maker, September 1993 via mdmarchive).

Georges Delerue and Hal Shaper's song featured in the film of the same name: Interlude (1968).
Soundtrack:

c41f3e2b3e09141e77e5948133e12e9a37627127.jpg

Original Timi version:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought several RSD bits (believe it or not, telling people you wouldn't buy things because you don't like collecting nor the price is as convincing as telling your neighbour that they shouldn't buy a red car as you wouldn't do it - utterly redundant).
That said, I actually bought/liked this more and it was pretty good value:
Which came out the day before.
FWD.

I bought several RSD bits (believe it or not, telling people you wouldn't buy things because you don't like collecting nor the price is as convincing as telling your neighbour that they shouldn't buy a red car as you wouldn't do it - utterly redundant).
FWD.
Unless the ‘new’ red car was both inexplicably expensive, and not so different to the red car you’ve forgotten about, and have stored in your garage. Then you might recognise it’s not about cars, but about sanity.

I bought four RSD releases. I also have an Alzheimer’s test coming up, last week.

FWD.

I bought a couple too, The 1975 Live at Gorilla and Suede Autofiction Live

Got another couple of Interludes today, the Bryan Ferry Right Stuff EP, The Fall Country On The Click and the three PiL cassettes.

View attachment 103509

View attachment 103508View attachment 103510View attachment 103507View attachment 103511
(Credit: FWD's copy).

First released as a 7", 12" and CD: August 8, 1994 and charting in the UK at number 25.
There is no matrix message on the gold vinyl.
Colourised art credit given to Esteban and (Darren) Evans.
Original sleeve credits were given to:
Sleeve: Whores In Retirement
Layout: Green Ink
Front cover photo: Roger Mayne
Photo used:
The "Girl Jiving" (1957) by Roger Mayne.
(Also known as: "Girl Jiving, Southam Street").
It was later used in a colourised form as a tour backdrop and first observed at Vicar Street, Dublin during Bonfire Of Teenagers (July 15, 2023).

The subject of the image was Eileen Sheekey:

View attachment 103517
(Credit: @davidt / @Kewpie via Peter / morrissey-solo.com - 2009)

Approximately one month after the usage of said image, it was an industry rumour that Interlude would be the 2024 Record Store Day release.
There are conflicting reports as to the amount made for RSD coupled with reported regional supply issues, but previous RSDs have been circa 3000-5000 copies.

The original release:

View attachment 103475
(Credit: Vulgar Picture via Wayback).

Colourised backdrop:
("File:Girl Jiving ( Eileen Sheekey ) colored by Janay Miranda - Brazil.png" / Wikipedia).

View attachment 103476
(Credit: Pinterest).

Original labels:

View attachment 103515View attachment 103516
(Credit: Discogs).

Initial reports at the time suggested that Morrissey and Siouxsie had recorded Timi's "Hurt". It is unknown if it was ever recorded or was just misreported.

View attachment 103521
(Credit: Melody Maker, September 1993 via mdmarchive).

Georges Delerue and Hal Shaper's song featured in the film of the same name: Interlude (1968).
Soundtrack:

View attachment 103532

Original Timi version:

Related items:

Had a conversation with my Manc friend Jason , looks a little like Ian Brown He was saying it’s a clever cover
I can’t see how it’s clever? It’s so easy to design a smiths /M cover .
Vintage pre 70s star , check , make black and white or sepia check , vintage record label stylings check
It’s why so many people drop their own home made Smiths covers on IG
It’s too easy
I do like the song but I did feel this cover version was a let down . Was hoping it was going to sound more gritty

Had a conversation with my Manc friend Jason , looks a little like Ian Brown He was saying it’s a clever cover
I can’t see how it’s clever? It’s so easy to design a smiths /M cover .
Vintage pre 70s star , check , make black and white or sepia check , vintage record label stylings check
It’s why so many people drop their own home made Smiths covers on IG
It’s too easy
I do like the song but I did feel this cover version was a let down . Was hoping it was going to sound more gritty
The cover might not be so clever in an of itself. The way Morrissey creates an entire world, through a creative repertoire which includes the covers as much as the music, is brilliant.

He's used Mayne twice on sleeves and several other images as stage backdrops. At a guess, I'd say him living ~3 miles from where Eileen's photograph was taken (around the time of recording) may have influenced his choice of cover art?
Not seeing anything deeper or more 'clever' really - unless missing something.
FWD.

This will still be available from stores by the time the next RSD rolls round, and prob for a lot cheaper than the ridiculous asking price.

It’s always annoyed me, this single. The backing is gorgeous, the individual vocals are great … but it’s just two vocals pasted over one another. You can tell they didn’t interact in a studio. In some parts of the song they’re not even in time with one another.

It could have been spectacular, if they’d bothered with harmonies, and some genuine call and response. When Siouxsie goes up as Moz stays down it sounds great, but you can tell that was just a happy accident. It’s the only good bit of layering in the whole thing.

It genuinely sounds like what someone inexperienced might come up with if handed the component tracks to the song. Literally just thrown together.
Agree, this single wasn't as great as it should have been. Any great song is more than the sum of its parts - that extra 'magic' is needed. And this single just doesn't have it. All the component parts are there - but it just never really hits the mark.

Agree, this single wasn't as great as it should have been. Any great song is more than the sum of its parts - that extra 'magic' is needed. And this single just doesn't have it. All the component parts are there - but it just never really hits the mark.
Fortunately there are a lot of lovers of this unique collaboration. Here is a text that says it all.

There are few singles that come close to perfection at this point. This one comes closer to it, touches it with the tip of his hand and makes the lover of beautiful melodies that lies dormant in each of us dizzy. Boz Boorer, Morrissey's faithful collaborator, has created a tailor-made setting for the occasion with lamé violins and lace guitars by re-orchestrating this piece by George Delarue and Hal Shaper. It ultimately gives an ideal receptacle to showcase impeccable elegiac poetry, one of those fantasy love stories that has little chance of coming true.

It must be said that this interlude has everything to please. Boz Boorer, a talented arranger often underestimated by the press and also an unconditional fan of Siouxsie, has surpassed himself. He has done a masterful job of production here with a very harmonious vintage sound that blends impeccably into the decor. There's not a hair sticking out among the musicians and not a single poorly polished shoe in sight. Phil Spector or Brian Wilson 'in person' would probably not have conducted this session any better if they had had to do it.

Oddly, this single went almost unnoticed upon its release. It must be said that this elegiac ballad was released in the middle of summer, a season by definition not very favorable for promoting this type of record. Today we can cry injustice and say that this title would have almost deserved to be treated with as much respect as the famous duo of Frank and Nancy Sinatra but oh what the hell. This non-success remains a mystery, one more in the history of music. With hindsight, Interlude nevertheless remains one of the most beautiful singles sung by Morrissey solo alongside the excellent "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and "Hold On To Your Friends". In terms of melody, he never found the same level again. This is also the case for Siouxsie whose title most similar to this one is the unstoppable and little-known simple "The Last Beat OF My Heart". What could we add to finally convince the most undecided... I would say that Interlude easily approaches the maturity of Leonard Cohen for its arrangements with restraint and finesse. Enough to deserve all the honors... on the shelf above your stereo!

Fortunately there are a lot of lovers of this unique collaboration. Here is a text that says it all.

There are few singles that come close to perfection at this point. This one comes closer to it, touches it with the tip of his hand and makes the lover of beautiful melodies that lies dormant in each of us dizzy. Boz Boorer, Morrissey's faithful collaborator, has created a tailor-made setting for the occasion with lamé violins and lace guitars by re-orchestrating this piece by George Delarue and Hal Shaper. It ultimately gives an ideal receptacle to showcase impeccable elegiac poetry, one of those fantasy love stories that has little chance of coming true.

It must be said that this interlude has everything to please. Boz Boorer, a talented arranger often underestimated by the press and also an unconditional fan of Siouxsie, has surpassed himself. He has done a masterful job of production here with a very harmonious vintage sound that blends impeccably into the decor. There's not a hair sticking out among the musicians and not a single poorly polished shoe in sight. Phil Spector or Brian Wilson 'in person' would probably not have conducted this session any better if they had had to do it.

Oddly, this single went almost unnoticed upon its release. It must be said that this elegiac ballad was released in the middle of summer, a season by definition not very favorable for promoting this type of record. Today we can cry injustice and say that this title would have almost deserved to be treated with as much respect as the famous duo of Frank and Nancy Sinatra but oh what the hell. This non-success remains a mystery, one more in the history of music. With hindsight, Interlude nevertheless remains one of the most beautiful singles sung by Morrissey solo alongside the excellent "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and "Hold On To Your Friends". In terms of melody, he never found the same level again. This is also the case for Siouxsie whose title most similar to this one is the unstoppable and little-known simple "The Last Beat OF My Heart". What could we add to finally convince the most undecided... I would say that Interlude easily approaches the maturity of Leonard Cohen for its arrangements with restraint and finesse. Enough to deserve all the honors... on the shelf above your stereo!
We'll have to agree to differ. Interlude is like a fine meal with wonderful ingredients - that has gone cold.

Apparently, this release isn't that popular, just paid £24.99 for a sealed copy of Ebay and had plenty to choose from. Even some stores have copies left over. I am glad I didn't stand in a queue for this one or panic and pay an over inflated price from a seller on Ebay.

We'll have to agree to differ. Interlude is like a fine meal with wonderful ingredients - that has gone cold.
It's two people with zero chemistry singing a love song (and from what we've heard, didn't even like each other)... and that's how it sounds. It's one of those things where I wanted to like it more but just couldn't, and this was at a time when I loved everything he did. Surely there could have been a better song to duet on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom