Morrissey Central "DANA GILLESPIE VINYL" (April 9, 2024)

April 9, 2024

1000017694.jpg

The first 7-inch single from Dana Gillespie's new album is Spent The Day In Bed, and is available on 19 April. The song is from Dana's new album First Love, which is released on 31 May on CD, standard black vinyl, and special colored vinyl. Production is by Marc Almond and Tris Penna, and above sleeve photography is by Terry O'Neill, with sleeve art by Morrissey.

Order Dana's vinyl 45 here:

Sister Ray: https://sisterray.co.uk/products/spent-the-day-in-bed

Rough Trade: https://www.roughtrade.com/en-gb/artist/dana-gillespie

For further information contact:

[email protected]

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The contrarian's anthem "Spent the day in bed", 3 years after the WPINOYB world music shock, wasn't the glorious comeback single, that many had hoped for. Dana does it well and gives the song more meaning and and another dimension with her wisdom and experience, than Morrissey ever could (just defiant). Still, the days of me, buying expensive imports, every ATTACK release or Nancy Sinatra records, just because it has to do with HIM, are long gone.

I like the song, because I, when I first heard it, didn't have the contrarian interpretation in my head, but a more basic everyday interpretation of being fed up with everyday life with all its obligations. Lying in bed and just letting the world be the world without having to do anything. The reminder to take care of yourself and treat yourself well (for once in a while, because yeah one day we will be dead, so a reminder to be good to yourself is absolutely valid and important). The wish to have more time ("time do as I wish") is also an everday struggle. I love the touch of humor in it ("I'm not my type but I love my bed") and I absolutely feel the ending "No bus" (I hate riding the bus, but I have to), "no boss" (well most of us have one, I guess, but to be honest, I hate to work for somebody), no rain (I live in a very rainy town), no train (again, the public transport many have to use to go to work or somewhere). But also "no highway, freeway" etc., it always sounded to me like a description of the annoying everyday life of a regular 9-5 working individual. For me it's more of an anthem about self-care, or a reminder of it. The line about the news fell a bit short, but it can also be understood as a call to switch off (which I would not agree with, being informed is important!), but that didn't overshadow the rest for me. I therefore think that the song is not necessarily a contrarian anthem and am confused why this seems to be the common interpretation, because despite the "news" line there is absolutely nothing contrarian in it. Even though I'm often not a fan of most of Morrissey's later songs, I really like this one. That's why the Morrissey version has a special place in my heart because I still remember the first time I heard it and how it affected me. 🖤

I like the song, because I, when I first heard it, didn't have the contrarian interpretation in my head, but a more basic everyday interpretation of being fed up with everyday life with all its obligations. Lying in bed and just letting the world be the world without having to do anything. The reminder to take care of yourself and treat yourself well (for once in a while, because yeah one day we will be dead, so a reminder to be good to yourself is absolutely valid and important). The wish to have more time ("time do as I wish") is also an everday struggle. I love the touch of humor in it ("I'm not my type but I love my bed") and I absolutely feel the ending "No bus" (I hate riding the bus, but I have to), "no boss" (well most of us have one, I guess, but to be honest, I hate to work for somebody), no rain (I live in a very rainy town), no train (again, the public transport many have to use to go to work or somewhere). But also "no highway, freeway" etc., it always sounded to me like a description of the annoying everyday life of a regular 9-5 working individual. For me it's more of an anthem about self-care, or a reminder of it. The line about the news fell a bit short, but it can also be understood as a call to switch off (which I would not agree with, being informed is important!), but that didn't overshadow the rest for me. I therefore think that the song is not necessarily a contrarian anthem and am confused why this seems to be the common interpretation, because despite the "news" line there is absolutely nothing contrarian in it. Even though I'm often not a fan of most of Morrissey's later songs, I really like this one. That's why the Morrissey version has a special place in my heart because I still remember the first time I heard it and how it affected me. 🖤
Very well put. You’re gonna make me change my mind about this song!

Coloured vinyl:

Screenshot_20240410-231426.png

The limited coloured edition hasn't got any markings on the bottom of the sleeve according to:

FWD.

I thought the cover is ok, the cover art is a bit lackluster to me
I like the picture, its the font and colours I think is bit shite
Its nice to think M and Marc Almond have been hanging out

Early Smiths and soft cell had a lot of cross over in terms of feel and themes,, I never went to as many soft cell gigs as i did Smiths, but they were fecking great

I've been in the USA a lot in the last few months. Moving to Texas soon, get fecking in there!!
I keep hearing talk that M is knocking out a record in a few months . has anyone else heard that ? Its probably just BS
Maybe they were on about this one ?

He liked the song at the time . So he must be pleased.

I also like all the textiles in the room around Dana: the rug, the cushions, the curtains, the table cloth, the quilt. I haven't seen a quilt like that for quite a while. Is it a candle-wick design?
https://www.wikihow.com/Do-Candlewicking

The song's out this Friday. May the road rise to meet it!

Dear completely unknown older lady with a somewhat familiar surname,

Your ded mate Baba would tell you this:
People need vinyls like they need cancer like they need covers.
(He was right about water tho. That, we need.)

Sincerely,
Baba number 2 (affectionately known by Solo poets as "Poo-Poo".)

Back
Top Bottom