"Morrissey: lunatic seer of the modern world" - Unherd (May, 6, 2020)

Yes, ‘literally’ it was. But, hope against hope, I believed it could be placed in the context of the wider debate.

I don't think it says much for Moz's ex-fans that they'd chuck him away because he got overly fond of a lesbian vegan in late middle-age - while not holding it against Mark that he was violent to women & had right-wing views.

Yes...both I, and NIGEL FARAGE are probably far-left loonies, whereas Anne Marie Waters, and her fans (Morrissey, and the other one) talk sense.

You're a great, if highly 'eccentric', illustration of why continuing Morrissey fandom is seen by the public to be a bit odd...
The general public don't have any views re fans following Moz, stop talking out yer chocolate starfish!

I do agree, it's an interesting article. Although Morrissey's views on immigration are not really prophetic, they are age-old conservatism. And like somebody pointed out, Hand In Glove is not really an comment on basic income. This sentence "His horror of electronic instruments and any development in dance music after about October 1972 is just silly, like the ladies of Cranford boarding their first train. " also shows that the writer hasn't really listened to Dog. To me Morrissey's flirtation with synthpop is really welcome, I hope he gets the chance to delve further in.

M.E.S. was still loved by his obsessive fans, as people found his politics challenging and occasionally out of line, but he was at worst a bit reactionary or neo-Conservative.

Morrissey is largely hated by his, as he went to a truly extreme wing - supporting a group described as "a bunch of Nazis" by Nigel Farage and most of UKIP's leadership.

You can claim the difference is due to some coincidence around media coverage, but that's clearly not the case, and not the opinion of the rest of the old Morrissey / Smiths fanbase.
You actually know nothing about Morrissey's fanbase...did you see the hardcore who have been following him for decades at Leeds & London? Get your facts right smarty pants.

The song is such a turd... Uh, everywhere

Wonderful song, don’t know why you wouldn’t like it. Though I guess it takes all sorts to make up this world.

Have a nice day :)

He's not transphobic, he just thinks we should be able to talk about biological sex.

It seems those who want to label people for the freedom to speak about biological sex are actually sanity-phobic.

I wonder if some will think the guy with the mic here is transphobic. Personally, he just seems sane to me ...

"... Morrissey has destroyed his reputation... the public no longer listen to...

Please, stop generalizing. You don't really know what you are saying. You seem too angry, and anger does not allow one to think properly.

Morrissey's actual fans know his heart and soul, and will stick with him till the end of times.
Actual fans, real fans, or any variation on that immediately reeks of gatekeeping and emotional dishonesty.

I do agree, it's an interesting article. Although Morrissey's views on immigration are not really prophetic, they are age-old conservatism. And like somebody pointed out, Hand In Glove is not really an comment on basic income. This sentence "His horror of electronic instruments and any development in dance music after about October 1972 is just silly, like the ladies of Cranford boarding their first train. " also shows that the writer hasn't really listened to Dog. To me Morrissey's flirtation with synthpop is really welcome, I hope he gets the chance to delve further in.

Some Marxists hold the view that mass immigration has been promoted by the ruling class to destroy the traditional working class, drive down wages and workers' rights, and make unionisation of labour impossible - divide and rule. It's a point of view. Is that 'age-old conservatism' on their part?

Some Marxists hold the view that mass immigration has been promoted by the ruling class to destroy the traditional working class, drive down wages and workers' rights, and make unionisation of labour impossible - divide and rule. It's a point of view. Is that 'age-old conservatism' on their part?

The Labour Party was against mass immigration until the 1990s when it embraced neoliberalism.

But apart from anything else - we know where Moz's torn attitude to cultural identity is coming from - he literally wrote a song a about it.

Irish Blood, English Heart wants the English to spit on their own history so his feelings about his Englishness can sit easy with his feelings about his Irishness.

It's not conservatism. It's the agony of being an immigrant.

It seems those who want to label people for the freedom to speak about biological sex are actually sanity-phobic.

I wonder if some will think the guy with the mic here is transphobic. Personally, he just seems sane to me ...

It's a trainwreck.

Utter tripe. If he loved animals so much why didn't he advocate for the Greens or Lib Dems? But no, he went for the ones who don't like brown people.

You are talking total bollocks mate. The Lib Dems and the Greens simply want to ensure that all halal or kosher meat is labelled as such. Shocking that it currently isn't. But For Britain wants to ban all non-stunned animal slaughter in the UK. That is not the policy of either the Lib Dems or the Greens. This is why Moz wore that badge. What the f*** are you on about - 'don't like brown people'? Have you been sniffing thinners or something? You're obsessive and deranged. If you see racism everywhere - it means you harbour deep racism yourself.

It’s fantastic album. ... regardless of and despite its country of origin. No need to toss out the National Front flag.

Oh. f*** me. It’s a Moorrissey site.

As you were.
I’ve never been more filled with pity for you than I am right now. Enjoy VE Day.

We were talking about the comment about China, it was one comment & it has been misquoted.

Most of his comments have been taken out of context & twisted.

A lot of his fans still love him.

He'll recover.
You simply don't understand the history here. For 30 years a lot of people have been quite troubled by his actions and views but have decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. These include his comments about the Chinese, stupid remarks about immigration, the belief expressed in song that Bengalis don't belong here, England being for the English, reggae being vile, having to be black to get on top of the pops. So much borderline very unpleasant stuff. So when in 2018, he finally officially endorsed a far-right party and said he prefers his own race (or mistakenly claimed everyone does) that was the last straw. 30 years of sinister shit, and suddenly he reinforces everyone's worst suspicions. He will never ever recover the tens of thousands of fans who have deserted him, the massive support from the music world that supported him (shops, radio stations, websites, nightclubs etc) unless he admits clearly and unambiguously that he's been a complete and utter f***ing idiot, and that he in no way endorses polit6 parties of the far right. It's his call.

You simply don't understand the history here. For 30 years a lot of people have been quite troubled by his actions and views but have decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. These include his comments about the Chinese, stupid remarks about immigration, the belief expressed in song that Bengalis don't belong here, England being for the English, reggae being vile, having to be black to get on top of the pops. So much borderline very unpleasant stuff. So when in 2018, he finally officially endorsed a far-right party and said he prefers his own race (or mistakenly claimed everyone does) that was the last straw. 30 years of sinister shit, and suddenly he reinforces everyone's worst suspicions. He will never ever recover the tens of thousands of fans who have deserted him, the massive support from the music world that supported him (shops, radio stations, websites, nightclubs etc) unless he admits clearly and unambiguously that he's been a complete and utter f***ing idiot, and that he in no way endorses polit6 parties of the far right. It's his call.
There is only one thing for it. And close the door on your way out. God bless.

And good luck with the bands advocated by The Guardian.

There is only one thing for it. And close the door on your way out. God bless.

And good luck with the bands advocated by The Guardian.

It was 30 years of confirmation bias because he picked up a Union Jack at a Madness Concert - he wasn't even respectful to the flag - he waved it about, used it as a cape & a skirt, scrunched it up & threw it away.

He's said almost nothing 'sinister' & all of it can be countered by other things that show he doesn't have an issue with race.

If they bothered looking beyond the moral panic.

(he's not brilliant at defending himself, but he has tried...

gegg.JPG

in all sorts of bitty ways - the t-shirt, the odd interview with a non-UK publication... Yes - he should hire a PR & not rely on the record company pushing the record & his owned media - but the evidence is there to find.)

Also - how could anyone think he meant England for the English - when his parents aren't English? Was he going to send them back to Dublin? And what about the rest of the song? Have they heard it?????????

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Comments about the Chinese - but their practices in wet markets are barbaric and have probably caused a bat virus to jump from one species to another and cause a global pandemic. If that doesn't deserve hyperbolic language I don't know what does.
2. Stupid remarks about immigration - London has changed; England has changed; Europe has changed. There may be some positives to immigration. Do you not admit there may be some negatives too?
3. The belief expressed in song that Bengalis don't belong here - it's a song, dummy.
4. England being for the English - ditto.
5. Reggae being vile - so he made a throwaway comment about not being a fan of reggae. By the late 1980s reggae had definitely deteriorated as a genre. But he also then went on to sign with Attack, a reggae record label and part of Trojan Records: Morrissey proved himself to be a connoisseur of our Trojan Records catalogue and expressed an interest in using the Attack label for the release of his records (Merck Mercuriadis).
6. Having to be black to get on top of the pops - that's just funny.
7. Officially endorsed a far-right party - far-right is debatable, but he has endorsed a party that wants to ban all non-stunned animal slaughter in the UK. It's clearly a subject Moz cares about.
8. Said he prefers his own race - he didn't say he prefers his own race, he said 'everyone ultimately prefers their own race'. Whilst the word race is not a scientific term, that human beings prefer people who are like them is a fact well recognised by anthropology and psychology. If you can't face facts then you're in trouble.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom