Morrissey interview in Turkish paper Cumhuriyet by Zülal Kalkandelen

O.K. Skylarker, we hear ya loud and clear! We agree with you on your point of us oldsters, almost 50 here! That wasn't supposed to happen. Anyways, it IS the song itself thats supposed to make the connection between artist and listener with music.
However, after all the modes of delivery, nothing beats the Rubber Ring. Sound quality, depth of sound, clarity and fullness, are all best when heard on the good old vinyl record. CDs and mp3 are compressed and tinny sounding and yes, we can tell a very definite difference between vinyls and CDs. We have an inexpensive Technics turntable and no it doesn't damage the vinyl after 10 plays. It does however replicate what was recorded in the studio vrs. the cd player.
Our message is not to disagree, except that you don't hate everyone. Just remember
Rubber Ring and the kind message Morrissey was sharing with all of us.

What difference does it make? Turn your back to the record player as it spins and you have the same thing you have with an Mp3: a wave form conveying a recorded message; data that your brain decodes as sound, as music and words, into your brain.

I hate when pretentious assholes talk about how they need to be able to "hold something"...vinyl, CD, etc. Well, you can "hold" an MP3 player. How is holding a CD different? Either way the content, the essence, is intangible...it's tiny pieces on encoded data that a laser or a stylus or a spinning hard drive in your iPod reads, and transmits to you.

And I don't want to hear anything about how "compressed and flat" digital files sound. That's bullshit. In a Pepsi blind taste test you wouldn't know the difference between a CD and a 320 file. You'd know with vinyl but only because of the annoying pops and scratches once it's been played more than ten times.

I bet a million dollars that kids in the 50s and 60s, who listened to all those glorious hit singles on their shitty tinny AM transmissions on their transistor radios, never thought twice about how bad the sound was...it was the song that mattered, and how it affected them to hear it...

I hate everyone.

I wasn't trying to be pretentious, I just rather like having my CD and vinyl collections. It is what I grew up with. But of course I have an iPod and have everything in MP3 format as well. And musically it might not make much of a difference. I guess I would rather have a new Morrissey album available as a download than nothing at all. Anyway I was only my meaningless opinion. No need to get hateful over it.

I wasn't trying to be pretentious, I just rather like having my CD and vinyl collections. It is what I grew up with. But of course I have an iPod and have everything in MP3 format as well. And musically it might not make much of a difference. I guess I would rather have a new Morrissey album available as a download than nothing at all. Anyway I was only my meaningless opinion. No need to get hateful over it.

Oh, I only was half serious...

Actually I was just in a shitty mood because I got a 40 year old record player yesterday which is in beautiful condition but after about two records it crapped out and now it plays everything super slow. And I really have a love/hate thing with vinyl to begin with, and this situation is tipping the scales in the latter direction; the whole record thing is such a pain in the ass.

I looked up some audiophile forums about what might be the problem and how to fix it, but those freaks have a language all their own. I'm not super mechanically inclined but I'm not a retard so I thought maybe I could fix it on my own, but I swear to God, after reading some of their threads...a jet engine would be easier to service than this thing.

So I am gonna have to take it in to the shop, which I'm sure will cost a small fortune...but whatever.

Your opinion isn't meaningless and I shouldn't have been such a dick.

Oh, I only was half serious...

Actually I was just in a shitty mood because I got a 40 year old record player yesterday which is in beautiful condition but after about two records it crapped out and now it plays everything super slow. And I really have a love/hate thing with vinyl to begin with, and this situation is tipping the scales in the latter direction; the whole record thing is such a pain in the ass.

I looked up some audiophile forums about what might be the problem and how to fix it, but those freaks have a language all their own. I'm not super mechanically inclined but I'm not a retard so I thought maybe I could fix it on my own, but I swear to God, after reading some of their threads...a jet engine would be easier to service than this thing.

So I am gonna have to take it in to the shop, which I'm sure will cost a small fortune...but whatever.

Your opinion isn't meaningless and I shouldn't have been such a dick.

Aww, that's okay. I am sorry you are having trouble with your record player. I am no audiophile myself and I honestly hope I am not ruining my records playing them on the shitty player I have. Anyway, I get in those moods where I hate everyone too, usually daily.

It sure didn't take long for Skylarker to turn this thread into one about him and his problems relating to, and stemming from his severe autism.

It sure didn't take long for Skylarker to turn this thread into one about him and his problems relating to, and stemming from his severe autism.

Ha. Good one. I'll never overcome Oscar Wilde-like wit like the kind you so clearly possess. I bow, sir.

"My Dearest Love" could have done it for him. And it was, what, a vinyl only b-side? Just saying...

Hey there Morrissey. We all know you read this stuff, so here goes. Yo want a number 1 record? Write a song about what brings people together and that's, "Love". Nearly all number ones and chart toppers have that very strong human emotion as their focus. What tears apart relationships is also a good idea .
You already know this stuff Morrissey and songs like Break Up The Family and Love Is a Miserable Lie, kinda show the point.
Rely on your past successes to continue and build future songs. A trusty note book or better yet, a handheld recorder to stash away thoughts and dreams to be that number 1 hit.
By the way Moz, Vicki Lawrence had a number one hit with, That's the Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia???!!! Give it a listen and ask yourself, Are Number One hits really that good anyways?
"How Soon Is Now" was not a number one and it's played because it's memorable! Only the Anthem Pop Song of the 1980's is all.

And I don't want to hear anything about how "compressed and flat" digital files sound. That's bullshit. In a Pepsi blind taste test you wouldn't know the difference between a CD and a 320 file.

Depends what it's played on, of course and whether you're listening thru £20 earbuds or £1000 headphones / speakers.

Depends what it's played on, of course and whether you're listening thru £20 earbuds or £1000 headphones / speakers.

Yeah, well, obviously the better your equipment is, the better the music will sound, sonically. But that wasn't really the point.

One major problem I have with digital music is that I want lossless copies of the music...you just can't get that from everywhere. Some specific sites sell lossless wavs and mp3s but they jack up the price per song.

Nice interview. "There's continued interest in my position because it's so odd"-- yes.

Also, did anyone notice the harrowing plug-in app thingy on the sidebar? "Number of animals killed since you logged onto this page"? 'S alotta chickens.

Here are my two cents:

I think Moz continues to fail to understand that record companies WILL NOT EVER play his ways as far as recording deals go, his egotistical ways of doing business is ridiculous, he demands respect but is unwiling to compromise. Unless you are an artist who has sold millions and millions of albums, record companies will not invest on you and lets not forget, he has burned SO many bridges. I love the man and his art but he needs to get his head out of his ass and face reality. Why he insists on not going at it alone is beyond me? Surely he could strike a manufacturing and distribution deal more easily with the major record companies if not the independent ones. Options there are, taking them is another matter. As for his back catalog, please stop butchering albums and give those few still interested on your musical history, left working at his former record companies, a chance to re-release the albums in a diffferent manner other than yours. You already proved you f***ed up with "Viva Hate" royally!

Here are my two cents:

I think Moz continues to fail to understand that record companies WILL NOT EVER play his ways as far as recording deals go, his egotistical ways of doing business is ridiculous, he demands respect but is unwiling to compromise. Unless you are an artist who has sold millions and millions of albums, record companies will not invest on you and lets not forget, he has burned SO many bridges. I love the man and his art but he needs to get his head out of his ass and face reality. Why he insists on not going at it alone is beyond me? Surely he could strike a manufacturing and distribution deal more easily with the major record companies if not the independent ones. Options there are, taking them is another matter.

Utter nonsense. True artists NEVER compromise, regardless of the number of units they shift. It's not about Morrissey being egotistical or ridiculous (and you say that like he's the only one!), nor anyone failling to understand anything. Record companies no longer make anything like the kind of money they used to make out of ANY established artist's new material (hence the concentration on deluxe reissues of back catalogues, and fast-buck, shortlived X Factor/Idol acts) - the real money is made from ticket sales & merch, so arguably Morrissey is doing better financially at the moment, though we miss out on officially released new material and he continues to be caught up in the romance of the elusive Number One single. But why not? It's his career and he owes us nothing. Morrissey "going it alone" would be an utterly retarded prospect and so totally at odds with all his references and romance. Maybe after The Smiths reform...?

You claim to "love the man and his art" yet you seem to understand very little about what makes him tick and why he does what he does.

Yeah, well, obviously the better your equipment is, the better the music will sound, sonically. But that wasn't really the point.

You did say that anyone claiming to hear any difference between 320 mp3s and CD was talking bullshit: that was the point I was addressing/correcting.

Utter nonsense. True artists NEVER compromise, regardless of the number of units they shift. It's not about Morrissey being egotistical or ridiculous (and you say that like he's the only one!), nor anyone failling to understand anything. Record companies no longer make anything like the kind of money they used to make out of ANY established artist's new material (hence the concentration on deluxe reissues of back catalogues, and fast-buck, shortlived X Factor/Idol acts) - the real money is made from ticket sales & merch, so arguably Morrissey is doing better financially at the moment, though we miss out on officially released new material and he continues to be caught up in the romance of the elusive Number One single. But why not? It's his career and he owes us nothing. Morrissey "going it alone" would be an utterly retarded prospect and so totally at odds with all his references and romance. Maybe after The Smiths reform...?

You claim to "love the man and his art" yet you seem to understand very little about what makes him tick and why he does what he does.

Good post.

Whether you like his stubbornness or not, his refusal to compromise on a record deal is completely in character. Leopard, spots, etc.

You did say that anyone claiming to hear any difference between 320 mp3s and CD was talking bullshit: that was the point I was addressing/correcting.

Contrary to what Skylarker said, there is a very clear, marked difference in audio quality. You cannot compress a lossless file down to 320kbs and expect it to sound anywhere remotely the same in quality. It would be a bit like having a supreme pizza, picking all the toppings off but the cheese and expecting it to still taste like a supreme pizza.

Nice interview. "There's continued interest in my position because it's so odd"-- yes.

Also, did anyone notice the harrowing plug-in app thingy on the sidebar? "Number of animals killed since you logged onto this page"? 'S alotta chickens.

and those poor handfuls of buffaloes :eek:
as for wanting the CD?
I could care less, I have 2 large suitcases I always check, 1 big carry on and a backpack.
CDs just don't make the cut when it comes to "personal possessions" anymore :cool:
so I am very thankful to be able to instead have 20 gigs of music at my fingertips here
or 4 on my mp3 player
why would I want it any other way?

Last edited:
He could independantly sell his own album no problem! When will Morrissey understand that he has enough money in the bank? Money Money Money, that's all what it boils down to with him.

He could independantly sell his own album no problem! When will Morrissey understand that he has enough money in the bank? Money Money Money, that's all what it boils down to with him.

...says the fan of David Bowie Inc. :rolleyes:

...says the fan of David Bowie Inc. :rolleyes:

- except if you knew anything about Bowie, you'd know that the monies rasied from the famous stock market flotation of future royalties all went on buying his way out of a management contract that he'd naively signed while on the brink of success in the early 70s. As a consequence he makes nothing from all the endless reissues, and won't do for quite a while. But hey, don't let the facts stand in your way.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom