Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

It's at the point now where it's passed a joke/meme... For the cancellations if this tour Morrissey has not reached out to fans ONCE, no apology at all. The only mention we've got is the Perth cancelation was due to being promoted as nostalgia... which is absurd and so disrespectful for fans.

I wonder how the new band feel about these cancellations, considering they are probably on wages for show played.
It wouldn’t surprise me if two or three of them leave after this disastrous tour. After all they will know the full facts and reasons as to why a lot of shows have been cancelled.

Morrissey cancels Auckland show as former Smiths frontman cites ‘logistical issues’
Added to OP.

There are 2 possibilities for Moz's behaviour in terms of giving no explanation.

1. He doesn't think he needs to.
2. He genuinely doesn't care.

Take your pick. I do have to say, 2 is unlikely in my view - Moz I'm sure does care about his fans. If it is 1, then Moz is incorrect. He does need to. He is losing casual fans (and record buyers) with behaviour like this.

If he did genuinely care about his fans, then an explanation (s) would have been given.
My guess would be No1. He doesn’t think he needs to.

I guess I don't know why anyone would pay money to see him anymore. Same old songs, no passion, stupid pants, awful band, 50-50 chance that he shows up to disappoint you...what is the upside?
The upside would be that you could Bragg to all your friends, that you’ve been cancelled on by Morrissey.
Apparently it’s quite fashionable nowadays.

Will be interesting to see how future tours will pan out.
My guess will be small theatre types, the days of 5-10 thousands are well gone. Especially now that world wide fans have been severely financially stung.

Small theatres? Maybe the foyer! Or maybe garden sheds with the entry fee of a jar of marmalade, or even gin!

Will be interesting to see how future tours will pan out.
My guess will be small theatre types, the days of 5-10 thousands are well gone. Especially now that world wide fans have been severely financially stung.
Same size venues with decent support acts! To think earlier this that he actually self announced that never existing 25k capacity Crystal Palace Park show... if this carries on we'll end up seeing him at the 100 club in 5 years time playing WPNOB in full...

I wish I could just not turn up to work, or dinner with the in-laws with the excuse of ‘unforeseen logistical issues’.

It must be nice to have the luxury of picking and choosing to honour your commitments without major consequences.
Let us remember that Envy is a sin - mea culpa, I too wish I could cut my horribilus mother-in-low dead! Please forgive us...

There are 2 possibilities for Moz's behaviour in terms of giving no explanation.

1. He doesn't think he needs to.
2. He genuinely doesn't care.

Take your pick. I do have to say, 2 is unlikely in my view - Moz I'm sure does care about his fans. If it is 1, then Moz is incorrect. He does need to. He is losing casual fans (and record buyers) with behaviour like this.
3 the reason is personal information that’s nobody’s business, whether that’s exhaustion, anxiety, minor abrasion, whatever

He has spoken previously about how much he 'despises' air travel. That's a strong word.

I've not seen this clip before. What does he expect from air travel, airports etc? Maybe he should have chosen another career, or got a job in the corner shop and cycled to work (being very careful to not catch his flares in the chain). He's a d..k

3 the reason is personal information that’s nobody’s business, whether that’s exhaustion, anxiety, minor abrasion, whatever
That it is 'nobody's business' is a point of view. I would imagine though that the paying punters of New Zealand do think that some form of explanation is warranted. Not to mention the other places he has also cancelled this year.

I wish I could just not turn up to work, or dinner with the in-laws with the excuse of ‘unforeseen logistical issues’.

It must be nice to have the luxury of picking and choosing to honour your commitments without major consequences.
The gift, I wanted to give you was too big to fit through the door, so I decided not to turn up at all, because I didn't want to disappoint you, Mrs Muller.

That it is 'nobody's business' is a point of view. I would imagine though that the paying punters of New Zealand do think that some form of explanation is warranted. Not to mention the other places he has also cancelled this year.
Why logistics, or having health issues, or being a deeply concerned cat lover not bearing the idea of a children's cat killing contest with cash prize aren't valuable enough reasons -if these are the reasons? In any case, he couldn't give details without prompting another indignation campaign, so the best for him is to remain factual.
_
2023 Disclaimer: Not saying Kiwis hate cats, only wondering how people in charge seriously thought this crazy contest could have been a nice way to teach kids about biodiversity...

Wow, not that surprising, because this tour seemed to be a whole mess right from the announcement, but nevertheless: what another asshole-move. I don't get the people that constantly defend this behaviour with potential health problems or he doesn't owe an explanation. Because he does. It's part of the deal if you advertise a concert and cash in on the tickets. And last but not least out of courtesy to the fans that pay your bills at the end of the day. This shows no respect, absolutely none. In the past I thought at least "sold out"-venues were "safe" but I stand corrected. And to announce the Quarry- tour on the day he cancels Perth and to send love to all Australians (except the people of Perth) on the day he cancels NZ without explanation....that's not behaviour of a depressed man. That's just "I don't give a f***" behaviour. People who accept being treated like that as a fan have serious Stockholm syndrome. That's maybe why he doesn't go to Europe, promoters there would sue the shit out of him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom