Mike Joyce tweets on Glastonbury performance and "cover versions"

Update, June 25, 6:53 PM PT:
Maurice E mentions the additional tweets:

@QuintinForbes You're right. I just didn't enjoy The Smiths songs. He was in fine form though.

@QuintinForbes Quite right. I think "cover versions"was maybe the wrong phrase. I just didn't enjoy The Smiths songs. He sounded great tho.

@mj_quinn The "band" were the musicians in The Smiths...Mozzer wasn't in the "band' M was the singer/lyricist in the group.

From Mike Joyce's Twitter page:

"Gr8 performance from M at Glasto but didn't like the cover versions. M was in the group...but not in the band, those tunes belong to them."

Presumably, he thinks Marr's solo versions of Smiths songs are faultless?
Also, how about Joyce Michael, as a member of the 'band' treats us to his own version of the Smiths songs?

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Brits, one Mexican, One Columbian, and 2 Americans. It's a fairly diverse collection of people on the stage. I don't care if Morrissey recruits a Tuba player from Turkmenistan.
The nationalities of the people on stage are entirely irrelevant to the music.

I'm okay with most of the Smiths material being played nowadays. I would love to see him retire "There is a light", because it's been over-done, and "Charming Man" because frankly, it's a terrible, heavy-handed version.

You and your sainted old days...

Crank up the Victrola and spin your dusty old records if you feel this way. No one is forcing you to participate.

Wasn't Jesse Tobias born and raised in Texas? How does this make him a Mexican?

What a dickhead. If there wasn't a Moz, there wouldn't have been a band in the first place.

The sum is greater than the parts - The Jam and Weller, The Smiths and Morrissey, The Clash and Joe Strummer, all great bands and ok solo acts. Mike Joyce makes a valid point and to be fair Morrissey has bastardised the Smiths tracks not just covered them. Listen to or watch the bootleg videos of any live Smiths gigs - Morrissey at Glasto doesn't come close.

Joyce Michael's latest tweet:
"I think "cover versions" was maybe the wrong phrase."

He was right the first time. It isn't The Smiths performing the songs, therefore they are - using any standard definition - cover versions. Bad cover versions, at that.

Also, for the love of God, can you PLEASE STOP REFERRING TO MIKE JOYCE AS "JOYCE MICHAEL"? It wasn't even funny the very first time you typed it and you've done it a million times since. We get it: Mike Joyce's surname is a woman's first name that was common in the first half of the twentieth century, therefore you think Mike Joyce is like an elderly woman. Elderly women are funny. We know. They have blue rinses and pull those little tartan trolleys around behind them and they smell of pee and live on cabbage and boiled sweets. Mike Joyce has an old woman's forename as a surname... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yes! It's still f***ing hilarious after all this time and all those posts where you typed it... again and again and a-f***ing-gain. We know you think it's funny and we've made a note of it for future reference, but PLEASE, JUST f***ING STOP.

Just cause Moz decided to get band members with dubious racial backgrounds to make himself look aryan that does not make him racist in the slightest.
It seems Boz the Bore was troubled by the fact that members from The Smiths see him for what he is, a bad tribute band guitarist. But hey, at least he showed off some new teeth at this latest tour.

Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne here at Morrissey Solo at this time of hour surrounded by mad fans bored and oversexual.
Bingo!

He was right the first time. It isn't The Smiths performing the songs, therefore they are - using any standard definition - cover versions. Bad cover versions, at that.

Also, for the love of God, can you PLEASE STOP REFERRING TO MIKE JOYCE AS "JOYCE MICHAEL"? It wasn't even funny the very first time you typed it and you've done it a million times since. We get it: Mike Joyce's surname is a woman's first name that was common in the first half of the twentieth century, therefore you think Mike Joyce is like an elderly woman. Elderly women are funny. We know. They have blue rinses and pull those little tartan trolleys around behind them and they smell of pee and live on cabbage and boiled sweets. Mike Joyce has an old woman's forename as a surname... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yes! It's still f***ing hilarious after all this time and all those posts where you typed it... again and again and a-f***ing-gain. We know you think it's funny and we've made a note of it for future reference, but PLEASE, JUST f***ING STOP.

joyce michael

I'm sure Ringo Starr must be positively apoplectic every time Paul McCartney opens a set with "Octopus's Garden"....

I'm sure Ringo Starr must have a fit of apoplectic rage every time Paul McCartney opens a set with "Octopus's Garden"...

MJ: "The "band" were the musicians in The Smiths...Mozzer wasn't in the "band' M was the singer/lyricist in the group"

Joyce is digging himself deeper.

What was the ratio of songs with singing to that of instrumentals produced by The Smiths?
Was Moz a bystander?
Is Jagger in the Rolling Stones?
Is Bono in U2?

The voice is pretty darn special and an instrument in itself.

Joyce should take up a hobby.
Maybe convert the study to a "1985 room" that he can live in for the rest of his life.

USA lost the soccer game because Mexico played football.
jajajajaja Chicharito!
USA puta!!!

Your boys took a helluva beating!!!

Yeah I still prefer the old band members of The Smiths than the ones in Morrissey's band now. They play as if they try and copy but copying it with their own twist and it makes it sound like a tribute band when they perform Smiths songs. American fans love his band now cause there are americans in it but they were not the first or the original.
Let the americans have the Moz band because the old days are over and everything now is just a tired repeat.

And the shite they write is directed towards that "Market".......yeh moz let's rock.

Johnny marr should take out a legal writ to stop those f*** wits destroying his songs any longer.

I bet JM , MJ and AR cringe at their attempts to play the musical parts.

I truly am bored of that band....truly it is over and I dred to think what the new album is like.

Back
Top Bottom