Kristeen Young interview at Ask Me

Originally posted at All You Need Is Morrissey:

There's a very interesting new interview with KY here:
http://www.askmeaskmeask.me/kristeen-young/

via Twitter: @AskMeX3

It also says Johnny Marr will be interviewed next.

Excerpts:

...Do you get nervous before a performance?
Maybe. I get more nervous about talking than singing. Morrissey is always encouraging me to talk more. Hmm. I don’t know why that is……because I go see bands all the time and they rarely speak.

...“Life’s Not Short, It’s Sooo Long” is one of my favorite songs. It touches me because I read the lyrics as being about pining for a different life, wanting to be rescued from one’s circumstances, which I relate to. What were you longing for and have you found it?
Well, that feeling goes way back and has been consistent in my life. Morrissey says it’s my life’s theme song, but I don’t know. I do know that nothing has been quick in my life and I’ve always felt imprisoned by something. When I was living at home it was home and waiting to get the hell out of there, then, as an adult, it turned into other things — waiting to be acknowledged, waiting for kindness. I finally feel like things are starting to open up a bit for me for the first time after all this time.

...Your last two videos, “Fantastic Failure” and “I’ll Get You Back”, were shot in Missouri? How did it feel to be shooting at home? Are you a local celebrity?

No, I’m not a local celebrity. I’m known other places a lot more. I think the press there has issues with me that I don’t understand. When I lived there they treated me like such a joke — making fun of me all the time. Then, when I left and started working with artists they respect, they seemed like they resented it. I remember one time Tony Visconti guested at one of my shows there (in St. Louis). He played bass on a couple of songs. The press said “Are we supposed to be impressed and feel privileged that she brought some big time producer to play with her.” Umm, maybe I just thought it would be a treat because so many tours skip St. Louis completely. So, I guess, YES, you were meant to enjoy it. I learned my lesson. Never again.

It’s puzzling. In 2009, I think, Morrissey played there. I wasn’t opening, but he complimented me (on stage) and the press reported it as being sarcastic. I mean, it was such a leap to say that it was sarcastic. That’s the old hometown. Everyone has one. I can deal with it. There are worse things.

...You’ve toured quite a bit with Morrissey. How have you changed since first meeting him? Has he influenced your work?
Oh, gosh. I was a mess when I met him. I don’t know what he saw in me and I’m sure many feel the same way. He’s taught me so much — how to talk to people, how to talk at all. I was always a decent writer, but I had problems with actual speaking. Also, life had been so hard for so many years — I was always on the defensive — just ready for the shit to be slung — always ready for the fight. I was a wild thing. He dealt with me in a very loving way and I became warm again. Strange how that works. Also, the validation I feel from him has changed my life. I am stronger.

Last edited:
I thought the questions were oddly leading in nature. My first inclination was to tell somebody to call Johnny Marr and say "Cancel, cancel!!!" :p

I thought the questions were oddly leading in nature. My first inclination was to tell somebody to call Johnny Marr and say "Cancel, cancel!!!" :p

I didn't get the impression the questions were fixed; just that the interviewer is lazy and asked the same shit that she has seen other people ask.

Kristeen Young Interview Topics:

1. Morrissey
2. Her parents were assholes
3. Christians are all narrowminded evil philistines
4. The piano is the best instrument ever
5. Morrissey
6. Hip hop music is important
7. St. Louis doesn't appreciate her
8. Morrissey

Lather, rinse, repeat.

So what did you find out, Encyclopedia Brown? Did you crack the case?

Thank you for asking and your input.

Encyclopedia Brown looks like the kind of book that I liked as a child! :) Did you also have those magazines in the U.S.A. that came with gagets like secret ink and other survival tools?

As you mentioned, Kristeen Young and her likes are so narrow minded that I don't really want to waste my time with her more than necessary. The repetitiveness is boring. I sometimes entertain myself by imagining Morrissey stuck in a house with them.

A staged interview. If you did not know the answers you would never ask anybody those questions.
I wouldn't be surprised if the questions were not even delivered by Kristeen Young or her publicist together with the answers via e-mail.
And of course the twitter account is already followed by the usual stalkers. lol
Just had a look to find out more about this "Marie Violette" who runs the site.

first thing that popped into mind... smells like one of the Irregular Regulars :/

Thank you for asking and your input.

Encyclopedia Brown looks like the kind of book that I liked as a child! :) Did you also have those magazines in the U.S.A. that came with gagets like secret ink and other survival tools?

As you mentioned, Kristeen Young and her likes are so narrow minded that I don't really want to waste my time with her more than necessary.

I didn't say she was narrow minded. She's extremely intelligent. I said she always talks about the same tings in interviews, because she is always asked the same questions.

The repetitiveness is boring.

What?

OK, OK, I get it.

I sometimes entertain myself by imagining Morrissey stuck in a house with them.

That's how you entertain yourself? Really? Um, OK.

And anyway, what is entertaining about imaging Morrissey "stuck" in a house with someone whom he clearly thinks very highly of and tours the world with? That doesn't even make sense.

Now troll harder or this is gonna get very dull very quickly, for both of us.

I didn't say she was narrow minded. She's extremely intelligent. I said she always talks about the same tings in interviews, because she is always asked the same questions.

A man's brain is the size of his penis and a woman's brain is the size of her mouth. And as intelligence is directly related to the size of the brain, she is of course very intelligent. Right.

What?

OK, OK, I get it.

There is something wrong with your computer and your brain. Maybe you should get a larger car so that you get a larger penis.

That's how you entertain yourself? Really? Um, OK.

And anyway, what is entertaining about imaging Morrissey "stuck" in a house with someone whom he clearly thinks very highly of and tours the world with? That doesn't even make sense.

Now troll harder or this is gonna get very dull very quickly, for both of us.

That was an extremly wrong answer, but I won't tell you the correct one, because it would give others brilliant ideas.

Must have been somehow very successful in unintentional trolling. Must keep parctising, could perhaps get famous by doing so in public towards the audience of a musician.

If you are that knowledgeable musician that you claim to be you would know that touring around can be an extremly boring thing to do. Oh wait, you never left your state, did you. Keyboard hero, get it.

P.S.

"Philistine culture was almost fully integrated with that of Canaan and the Canaanites. The deities they worshipped were Baal, Astarte, and Dagon, whose names or variations thereof appear in the Canaanite pantheon as well.[2]

The Philistines were also renowned for both their production and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Numerous finds have exposed a well-managed spirits industry, from breweries and wineries to retail outlets that advertised beer, wine, and strong drink. Among the most numerous artifacts unearthed from Philistine ruins are beer mugs and wine craters (large drinking bowls). The story of Samson's wedding feast alludes to the Philistine practice of engaging in week-long drinking parties, as the Hebrew word misteh, translated as "feast" in Judges 14:10, indicates a "drinking feast."" (Wikipedia)

If you familiarise yourself with Baal, Asarte and Dagon, you get a better understanding of what Kristeen Young is singing about, because she seems to adore the religion and culture of the Philstines. :D

A man's brain is the size of his penis and a woman's brain is the size of her mouth. And as intelligence is directly related to the size of the brain, she is of course very intelligent. Right.

I base my approximation of her intelligence on the bulk of her interviews. I don't agree with everything she says, but she says it with articulation and wit. Articulation you can learn, whereas wit is natural. She has both, so I respect her on that level. You, on the other hand, appear to be mind numbingly imbecilic and about as funny as a child's corpse.

There is something wrong with your computer and your brain.

My computer's fine.

Maybe you should get a larger car so that you get a larger penis.

Nah, I'm good. I'll leave such shenanigans to the overcompensators.

That was an extremly wrong answer, but I won't tell you the correct one, because it would give others brilliant ideas..

I kind of doubt that anything you could say would capable of inspiring brilliance.

Must have been somehow very successful in unintentional trolling.

Ooh, did I huht the widdo baby's feewins?

Must keep parctising,could perhaps get famous by doing so in public towards the audience of a musician.

Practice your spelling first; it's atrocious, you ass.

If you are that knowledgeable musician that you claim to be

When did I claim to be a musician?

you would know that touring around can be an extremly boring thing to do.

I'm not really sure if you you were referring to Morrissey or Kristeen or...whoever, because you can't really write and your message doesn't come across, and you strike me as fairly stupid. But anyway, neither of them seem to find touring boring, or they wouldn't keep doing it, and they have both spoken very highly of it very often as being a very fulfilling experience. The proof is in the pudding. However, if you are a shitty, no talent hack, living in a world of delusion, playing Morrissey cover versions, and no one cares about you, then yeah I can see how that would be boring.

Know anyone like that?

Oh wait, you never left your state, did you. Keyboard hero, get it.

Yep, that's me. Keyboard Hero. Got any other brain-bending zingers you'd like to throw my way?

P.S.

"Philistine culture was almost fully integrated with that of Canaan and the Canaanites. The deities they worshipped were Baal, Astarte, and Dagon, whose names or variations thereof appear in the Canaanite pantheon as well.[2]

The Philistines were also renowned for both their production and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Numerous finds have exposed a well-managed spirits industry, from breweries and wineries to retail outlets that advertised beer, wine, and strong drink. Among the most numerous artifacts unearthed from Philistine ruins are beer mugs and wine craters (large drinking bowls). The story of Samson's wedding feast alludes to the Philistine practice of engaging in week-long drinking parties, as the Hebrew word misteh, translated as "feast" in Judges 14:10, indicates a "drinking feast."" (Wikipedia)

Since you're so adept at "research" and at quoting Wikipedia, maybe you should extend that high-intensity brand of anthropology and online academics and you might find out that the word "philistine" also refers to a person who is intolerant of art and has no use for or interest in the concept of aesthetics or intellectual pursuit. But you just go right ahead and pretend to keep thinking you're smart.

If you familiarise yourself with Baal, Asarte and Dagon, you get a better understanding of what Kristeen Young is singing about, because she seems to adore the religion and culture of the Philstines. :D

Yeah, I'll get right on that...

Good Skylarker, now that we have established that you love everything that Kristeen Young and Morrissey are doing I gather that you are going to shut up in the future and not criticize anything anymore that they are doing, which has basically your main passtime during the past months.

By the way, congratulations, you accustomed yourself very well to these forums.

How many tickets did you get for the tour in November?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is from a recent Facebook post of hers:

"I can't stand when people say they like animals and not people, and here are the 3 reasons why it doesn't ring true and/or it's just gross: 1. People are animals 2. SO, it's self-hatred 3. You like "animals" more because you are in the control position (ie. "they can't talk back", etc.) AND you are mostly talking about domesticated animals. Put you in a circle of lions and lets see if you like animals more."

Perfect. She could babble incoherencies from this point onward and that one statement alone would still stand as proof of her superior intellect.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is from a recent Facebook post of hers:

"I can't stand when people say they like animals and not people, and here are the 3 reasons why it doesn't ring true and/or it's just gross: 1. People are animals 2. SO, it's self-hatred 3. You like "animals" more because you are in the control position (ie. "they can't talk back", etc.) AND you are mostly talking about domesticated animals. Put you in a circle of lions and lets see if you like animals more."

Perfect. She could babble incoherencies from this point onward and that one statement alone would still stand as proof of her superior intellect.

Aha. Does it?

Skylarker, as far as I am concerned you lost all credibility. You are just one of those who call a superior intellect in Kristeen Young that you'd call dumb assessness (cannot be bothered about the spelling in your language) if another person would utter the same thing. Besides I do not agree that humans are animals. You are, I am not. So the generalisation in itself is wrong to start with. Besides to me her post only shows once more that people surrounding Morrissey are very quick in picking things up from others.

Sorry, Skylarker but that is just nonsense. How is self-hatred gross or untrue? There is a big assumption that individuals feel more affinity with non-humans than humans because of control. Perhaps they prefer non-humans because they tend not to possess some negative human traits? And she laps on more assumptions about what people are saying in regards to domestic v feral animals. Would she say the same to those who have spent a lifetime living with 'wild' creatures?

Besides, Morrissey has said in the past he prefers the company of animals to people, would she say she can't stand him when he says such things?

Sorry, Skylarker but that is just nonsense. How is self-hatred gross or untrue? There is a big assumption that individuals feel more affinity with non-humans than humans because of control. Perhaps they prefer non-humans because they tend not to possess some negative human traits? And she laps on more assumptions about what people are saying in regards to domestic v feral animals. Would she say the same to those who have spent a lifetime living with 'wild' creatures?

Besides, Morrissey has said in the past he prefers the company of animals to people, would she say she can't stand him when he says such things?

All I'm saying is I agree with her and I think she made an excellent point. I don't know what she would or would not say to Morrissey's face but I'm sure she IS capable of making her own mind up about things and even though, in many ways, he is her mentor, I'm sure she doesn't agree with him about EVERYTHING.

I think that all of her points make perfect sense, and I've felt the same way for a long time. She isn't ridiculing people who love animals or doubting their compassion for the animal kingdom; she's simply placing it in context and furthermore she's only really picking on the people who are obsessive about it, because, psychologically, their stance begs analysis, for all the reasons she stated. There is something false about those people. Morrissey included.

I mean, honestly, she broke the argument down better than I ever could, so anything I say is just gonna be a rehash of her logic.

Skylarker, she is talking complete bollocks and it's a jab at Moz. She does that on Facebook. Every time they have a tiff she says some nonsense then deletes it. She is a 36 year old child and a very stupid one. She has no capacity for humanity. She posted that horses in new york should pull the people around in the heat since that's what they are born to do and that life is hard for everyone. She's stupid STUPID STUPID and untalented. Her voice is awful. Last time i went to see a show, my friends had to walk out of the theater cause she gave them a headache. The only reason Morrissey likes her is because so many people hate her. he is growing bored of her and annoyed with her and will dump her on her ugly talentless ass soon. I doubt she'll get through the American tour.

Kristeen is a blip. Theres a reason shes been around for so long and not one person wants to sign her. Shes unlikeable. Don't worry about her. Shes diggin her own grave. The Moz crew all hate her. For the time being she amuses him. But hes growing bored and annoyed to. She'll be back waiting tables and turnin tricks in no time. I've heard from reliable source Boz is lookin for a new band to replace her.

Since you're so adept at "research" and at quoting Wikipedia, maybe you should extend that high-intensity brand of anthropology and online academics and you might find out that the word "philistine" also refers to a person who is intolerant of art and has no use for or interest in the concept of aesthetics or intellectual pursuit. But you just go right ahead and pretend to keep thinking you're smart.

I want to add for the better understanding of Chrystal Geezer who sees signs, that I am fully aware of this meaning of "philistine" and the one that it previously had. I picked the one that I mentioned however because it best illustrates how contradictory the usage of the term in your quoted sense is. It was first used in your quoted sense by students of a university at a time when they were part of a secret society that engaged itself in the teachings of the philistines in the original sense of the word and they used it against the regular people of the town in your quoted sense of the word. Even then people who used the word were two faced.

While her music is not my cup of tea, the main issue I have with her as the opening act is that she has been his go-to opening act for almost six years. That gets incredibly boring if you are a regular concertgoer and is highly atypical for a performer who tours as often. And, however he feels about her personally, you cannot convince me that the decision has not become largely economic since he has no record label backing him and she is now a single performer.

I can't imagine having to sit through Phranc or Damian Dempsey that many times for that long - I shudder to think!

Since you all you Anonymous clowns have the same name, I'll just amalgamate you into one faceless creature and address you as such:

Skylarker, as far as I am concerned you lost all credibility.

Whatever shall I do. Well, it's off to the cliffside for me, boys.

You are just one of those who call a superior intellect in Kristeen Young that you'd call dumb assessness (cannot be bothered about the spelling in your language)

Intransitive verbs and present tense and junk, wow what a headache.

The only reason Morrissey likes her is because so many people hate her.

Well, there isn't a much better reason that that, is there? Since most people are idiots, then popular choice is usually going to be something bland and unchallenging and nauseating. As Bukowski said, "the crowd is always wrong."

he is growing bored of her and annoyed with her and will dump her on her ugly talentless ass soon.

Right. That's why he just added another 12 million shows with her. As for her ugly talentless ass, well...next time she turns around, I think you need to have another look.

I doubt she'll get through the American tour.

I doubt you'll get past Nurse Ratched, B-B-Billy.

Kristeen is a blip.

Yeah. She's a six year blip.

Theres a reason shes been around for so long and not one person wants to sign her. Shes unlikeable. Don't worry about her. Shes diggin her own grave. The Moz crew all hate her. For the time being she amuses him. But hes growing bored and annoyed to. She'll be back waiting tables and turnin tricks in no time.

As I'm quoting your post, do you know how desperately I want to fix the grammar in your illiterate, incoherent, lobotomized rambling? It's REALLY tempting.

You don't know shit about who hates her, how bored Morrissey is, blah blah blah. You're an idiot.

I've heard from reliable source Boz is lookin for a new band to replace her.

Right. Sure you have.

1245228550_jack_nicholson.gif

I want to add for the better understanding of Chrystal Geezer who sees signs, that I am fully aware of this meaning of "philistine" and the one that it previously had. I picked the one that I mentioned however because it best illustrates how contradictory the usage of the term in your quoted sense is. It was first used in your quoted sense by students of a university at a time when they were part of a secret society that engaged itself in the teachings of the philistines in the original sense of the word and they used it against the regular people of the town in your quoted sense of the word. Even then people who used the word were two faced.

Doesn't matter. The point is, the word NOW DOES MEAN what I said it means. Deal with it. No one cares about your anthroplogy lesson. Get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is something wrong with your computer and your brain. Maybe you should get a larger car so that you get a larger penis.

That was an extremly wrong answer, but I won't tell you the correct one, because it would give others brilliant ideas.

Must have been somehow very successful in unintentional trolling. Must keep parctising, could perhaps get famous by doing so in public towards the audience of a musician.

If you are that knowledgeable musician that you claim to be you would know that touring around can be an extremly boring thing to do. Oh wait, you never left your state, did you. Keyboard hero, get it.

None of that made sense and you're an idiot.

FIN.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom