"Kegs between legs"; poetic genius or Morrissey's worst lyric?

What do you think of the "kegs between legs" lyrics on Dear God Please Help Me?

• Poetic genius; one of Morrissey's best ever lyrics

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • A pretty good lyric

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Don't really mind/no strong feeling

Votes: 29 26.9%
  • A pretty bad lyric

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Really horrible; one of Morrissey's worst ever lyrics

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • My feelings are not captured in any of these options. Maurice E, please try harder next time.

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters
i only like about three songs on this l.p. and this song isn't one of them, but i think this is a really good line because of its ambiguity.

it is a totally Morrissey lyric in all things of the spirit of what he has represented as a lyricist. funny, risque, corny, genius - all at once.

if you can't appreciate that lyric I really don't know how you can say you enjoy anything he does unless perhaps, you are a troll or a scenester/poseur.

Well, I certainly think "ugly" is the correct adjective. I cannot listen to this song solely because of this lyric. It horrifies me how someone so eloquent and witty can put "explosive kegs" into a song. Actually, the *whole* song agitates me. I MUCH prefer something like Come Back to Camden... tasteful.

Well I suggest you stop listening then because I can guarantee Morrissey will come up with many more lines in the future that will agitate you and you will think ugly.

If you called him tasteful he'd probably spit in your eye.

Good idea for a poll, though my choice didn't really fit any of the choices (thanks for including that as an option). Was about to write my thoughts, but the below post nailed it.

I think it's great that it's a highly emotional song with beautifully done music, but he's not afraid to use almost Carry On-like imagery to express such genuine yearning. Nobody else would do it that way and as we can see, it's a lyric that's still talked about today.

it is a totally Morrissey lyric in all things of the spirit of what he has represented as a lyricist. funny, risque, corny, genius - all at once.

if you can't appreciate that lyric I really don't know how you can say you enjoy anything he does unless perhaps, you are a troll or a scenester/poseur.

Well I suggest you stop listening then because I can guarantee Morrissey will come up with many more lines in the future that will agitate you and you will think ugly.

If you called him tasteful he'd probably spit in your eye.

I just think it's not nearly as creative at it could be. I mean c'mon... it's a song about him getting some. Woopdi. Compared with other songs, I just don't think it holds much water. And I think in general the lyric in question is horrible. It doesn't take balls to sing about having them.... :|

I just think it's not nearly as creative at it could be. I mean c'mon... it's a song about him getting some. Woopdi. Compared with other songs, I just don't think it holds much water. And I think in general the lyric in question is horrible. It doesn't take balls to sing about having them.... :|

It's not just about getting some... my god. No. What a shallow interpretation. I think it's about getting some of the wrong thing that you want very much nonetheless... it's about forbidden booty, be that the wrong gender, someone else's property, someone who has sworn not to be sharin' the booty, or just a relationship that is guaranteed to end up hurting you both... all delicious scenarios, to be sure. So it taps into guilt- this is just the simplest reading, here. How much more delicious is sex when it's tinged with the forbidden? When desire is drawn out so long it becomes physically painful? Much, much more...

I am walking through Rome
With my heart on a string
Oh God, please help me

And I'm so very tired
Of doing the right thing
Dear God, please help me

There are explosive kegs
Between my legs
Dear God, please help me

Will you follow and know
Know me more than you do
Track me down and try to win me

Then he motions to me
With his hand on my knee
Dear God, did this kind of this thing happen to you?

Now I'm spreading your legs
With mine in between
Dear God, if I could, I would help you

And now I am walking through Rome
And there is no room to move
But the heart feels free
The heart feels free
The heart feels free
But the heart feels free
The heart feels free
The heart feels free
But the heart feels free
The heart feels free
The heart feels free
But the heart...

Personally I think the song is also about the lure of religion as well. It's making a comparison between sex and god. Being seduced by the church.

There are some good songs on the album but this one is unbearable - I ALWAYS skip it.

But worst ever lyric? He'd have to go a long way to beat:
Your boyfriend he
Went down on one knee
Well could it be
He's only got one knee?

I've always thought it was too twee. And I'm not sure what the poetry police think about rhyming the same word - "knee" and "knee"

Quickly followed with:
I tried to suprise her (or was it "you"?),
with Vodka, or Tizer

I rest my case.

Thank you Pregnantforthelasttime, that post summed up a lot of what I feel.

Personally I think the line fits the song's atmosphere of lust and discomfort very well.

This has been covered so thoroughly, but I just thought I would put in a last good word for the kegs, since I have always liked that line.

It is just so Morrissey - it makes me cringe, it makes me smile, and it makes the song. He could have just sung something boring about being frustrated or pent-up, but he took a lovely tune that may have pleasantly meandered by, and made it sting. That line is piquant, vivid, and potentially no laughing matter.

I especially love the prayerful context. Brilliant.

It reminded me of the first time I heard "Hand in Glove" way back when - Morrissey's peculiar brand of unrepentant, pungent wordplay has creeped people out from the very beginning. I love that.

I don't want to offend anyone, and I'm not trying to treat a serious subject too lightly, but with the political atmosphere we're in, I couldn't help thinking of that line literally, as if it was sung by a suicide bomber. It goes along with the Middle East interpretation of Far Off Places.

Now, I KNOW that is not what he meant, but it is the literal interpretation. Especially, followed by "dear God, please help me" like he's a fanatic. I know, I'm stupid, that's not what it means, I don't deserve to listen to his music, and so forth. Thank you.

comic.gif

Worst Morrissey lyric ever.

Now THAT'S genius

It's not just about getting some... my god. No. What a shallow interpretation. I think it's about getting some of the wrong thing that you want very much nonetheless... it's about forbidden booty, be that the wrong gender, someone else's property, someone who has sworn not to be sharin' the booty, or just a relationship that is guaranteed to end up hurting you both... all delicious scenarios, to be sure. So it taps into guilt- this is just the simplest reading, here. How much more delicious is sex when it's tinged with the forbidden? When desire is drawn out so long it becomes physically painful? Much, much more...

You've summed it up wonderfully. When listening to this song, I always feel as if a door opened up to Morrissey's heart. Today's Morrissey, the middle-aged man, with all his struggles, dissappointment, still being able to long after somebody, so much that it hurts.
"Now I'm spreading your legs with mine in between" - it just takes my breath away.

I don't want to offend anyone, and I'm not trying to treat a serious subject too lightly, but with the political atmosphere we're in, I couldn't help thinking of that line literally, as if it was sung by a suicide bomber. It goes along with the Middle East interpretation of Far Off Places.

Now, I KNOW that is not what he meant, but it is the literal interpretation. Especially, followed by "dear God, please help me" like he's a fanatic. I know, I'm stupid, that's not what it means, I don't deserve to listen to his music, and so forth. Thank you.

If he was really thinking of love and suicide bombing together, it'd be both irredeemably shocking and very much in keeping with the rest of ROTT.

You're right, it's probably not what he meant (or if it was, it wasn't the first thing he was thinking of) but it's an outstandingly interesting reading. ...wow.

But worst ever lyric? He'd have to go a long way to beat:
Your boyfriend he
Went down on one knee
Well could it be
He's only got one knee?

I've always thought it was too twee. And I'm not sure what the poetry police think about rhyming the same word - "knee" and "knee"

Well, he did worse in the very overrated The more you ignore me :

I will be
In the bar
With my head
On the bar

If he was really thinking of love and suicide bombing together, it'd be both irredeemably shocking and very much in keeping with the rest of ROTT.

You're right, it's probably not what he meant (or if it was, it wasn't the first thing he was thinking of) but it's an outstandingly interesting reading. ...wow.

Seeing as the song comes directly after I Will See You in Far Off Places and as Danny says, deals explicitly with religion, I would have thought that comparison was very deliberate on Morrissey's part.

Well, he did worse in the very overrated The more you ignore me :

I will be
In the bar
With my head
On the bar

Maybe I'm not being fair, I'll let him get away with "bar" and "bar" because later it is brilliant:
Beware !
I bear more grudges
Than lonely high court judges
When you sleep
I will creep
Into your thoughts
Like a bad debt
That you cant pay
Take the easy way
And give in

But "knee" and "knee" never really improves.....
with a homeless chihuahua
you cooed for an hour

NO! TURN IT OFF!!!!

With me it's like this: If I imagine it's all about a woman, it makes me puke.
Now, if we're talking about a man, it's ok honey go ahead and describe.

I can not tolerate the idea of Moz and a woman. Not even if it was me.
I prefer him to be alone!

Back
Top Bottom