Has Morrissey lost his poetic gift?

I was just listening to:

So shut your mouth
how can you say
that I go about life the wrong way
I am human and I need to beloved
Just like everybody else does

And I thought... "Not very wrapped up in poetry is it? Not all wrapped up in roses and lyrical prose!"

Morrissey has always been direct and to the point. Blunt. "You are a flatulant pain in the arse!"

And I thought of this thread. S'wat I think any way! :)

I think So shut your mouth
how can you say

comes across perfectly. :D

do the guys ever feel weird doing some of these things morrissey tells them to do? like dress this way for a show, or do this for a photo. or are they in a more active role?

I'm sure we'll find out some day that the Cilla Black story was just smoke, and the real reason Johnny left was because one day Morrissey popped in with a four sheets of posterboard, some markers, and a really great idea for a picture...

"I didn't form a band to wave vaguely homoerotic signs over my head".

Last edited:
do the guys ever feel weird doing some of these things morrissey tells them to do? like dress this way for a show, or do this for a photo. or are they in a more active role?

prob anything for a quiet life. I read that he wanted them all to wear trunks for a video and they refused, stuck to jeans and no shirts instead! lol

It totally made me cringe, I really could not believe it!
I agree All you need is me is better, but its still plodding musically. I think its a Jesse. ( I am not a Jesse basher but its all so samey!)

I think that 'The Youngest Was The Most Loved' is still Jesse's best moment. Neverthless, he's written some good songs and will continue to improve.

With Jesse focusing on the singles, it allows Alain to experiment and try different things ('Dear God Please Help Me' and 'Life Is A Pigsty').

I was just listening to:

So shut your mouth
how can you say

And I thought... "Not very wrapped up in poetry is it? Not all wrapped up in roses and lyrical prose!"

Morrissey has always been direct and to the point. Blunt. "You are a flatulant pain in the arse!"

And I thought of this thread. S'wat I think any way! :)

But isn;t the directness of some of the lyrics poetry in itself? Surely not all poetry has to be over complicated and 17th century?

I think that the lyrics are still as poetic as ever. If they were sung by a young rock singer they would be top of the charts and heralded.

The fact is that Morrissey has changed his style of singing and technically his voice is now much better. So this has changed the delivery of the words, and therefore how the words are viewed.

In connection to this i was thinking today, do you think Morrisseys best work has come out of periods of strife and upset in his life? From Early Smiths to Viva Hate, to Vauxhall and then again Quarry. When Morrisseys back is against the wall he produces?

maybe you are both wrong & right
I tend to recognize brilliance light years before most
however this is meaningless to all but me
so...

Well, you are right as well. I was responding more to the absoluteness of the statement that was made. I know people who can sense or at least think they sense, whether wright or wrong, brilliance and genius immediately and then there are people like me who think they got something when they only got the first floor of it while there are 3 more floors to go. I think that is brilliance. I have been listening to smiths/moz for 19 years and am still learning stuff about songs, lyrics, etc and I thought I paid attention. I am quite a deep person as well. I suppose all of us Moz fans are a bit deep but some more than others. But your statement is correct. My statement was right and wrong and how brilliant of you to notice. :) I am glad someone cleverly pointed that out. Again, I know that brilliance can be recognized generations after the fact and then there are those who have the gift that you and others I know do. But I stand by my first response and I do love your response!

Thank you!

Oh and I never did respond and say that I don't think he is losing his poetic gift.....I do like reading what everyone thinks about his new stuff though.

Well, you are right as well. I was responding more to the absoluteness of the statement that was made. I know people who can sense or at least think they sense, whether wright or wrong, brilliance and genius immediately and then there are people like me who think they got something when they only got the first floor of it while there are 3 more floors to go. I think that is brilliance. I have been listening to smiths/moz for 19 years and am still learning stuff about songs, lyrics, etc and I thought I paid attention. I am quite a deep person as well. I suppose all of us Moz fans are a bit deep but some more than others. But your statement is correct. My statement was right and wrong and how brilliant of you to notice. :) I am glad someone cleverly pointed that out. Again, I know that brilliance can be recognized generations after the fact and then there are those who have the gift that you and others I know do. But I stand by my first response and I do love your response!

Thank you!

Oh and I never did respond and say that I don't think he is losing his poetic gift.....I do like reading what everyone thinks about his new stuff though.

HELP!!!!

I'm not sure if he is being sarcastic or serious.

Thank you!

me too :)

So who would you say were more poetic, Pink Floyd or the Sex Pistols?

doesn't matter...the words flow for both. there is no word flow (perhaps there is a better way to explain it than 'word flow'?) in morrissey's latest song and other recent songs. and furthermore, all those other complaints about laziness in writing and laziness from the song composers...

doesn't matter...the words flow for both. there is no word flow (perhaps there is a better way to explain it than 'word flow'?) in morrissey's latest song and other recent songs. and furthermore, all those other complaints about laziness in writing and laziness from the song composers...

The point i was trying to make was that there is a difference between Poetry, Melody, and Musicianship. A bad melody does not change the poetry of the lyrics it merely disguises it

Back
Top Bottom