Justin Hawkins YT: "The Rick Astley Interview" - Morrissey/Smiths mentions (January 29, 2024)

It’s a depressing sign of the times if modern artists are expected to be non-divisive and inoffensive in order for an audience to enjoy their music. Justin’s theory is a sad reflection of our sterile society.

I liked Rick’s Glaso set, but ONLY because it was a joy to hear those timeless songs played live and see the undiluted enthusiasm of a FREE audience. It was fundamentally incomparable to The Smiths or Morrissey gigs!

In 2024 the only way to experience the true spirit of The Smiths is through a Morrissey concert. Rick’s Glasto set was nothing more than a sanitised tribute act with decent musicians and a conformist singer. The resemblance to Marr gig was sadly uncanny.

It would be amazing if outlets were more interested in interviewing the actual man who originally wrote and sang the beautiful lyrics.
Do you really think Justin Hawkins wouldn't jump at the chance to have Morrissey on his show? Morrissey could be doing a PR blitz like Marr and getting interviewed all over the place if he chose, but it was his decision to stop engaging with the media.

rickshaw just waiting for the invitation to the smiths reunion once M is in a pine wooden box.

people on here who werent born at the time of his big hit wont realise how much of a joke he was at the time,written by stock aitken watermen,these three men literally ruined music and the charts in britain with the biggest mound of dung ever to hit the charts.
its amazing that these two men love M but have never seen him live,justin hawkins is a big fan,watched many of his videos praising M.

I'm sure he's lovely - etc etc - but when will this end? Morrissey is the lead singer of the Smiths.
I know. It's like the bland musak generation are trying to rewrite history by pretending this isn't just your basic pub covers band on a bigger stage. I know people here will say it's a massively enjoyable experience but any footage I've seen is hamfistedly horrific.

“My sincere thanks to Rick and the Blossoms for their recent recentness.
Anything that generates interest in
that tired old Smiths warhorse is testimony to the wallop it packed.
THANK YOU!"

-Morrissey, October 2021.

Rick Astley embodied the tyranny of the manstream in the music in the 1980s.​

Now, he is just an average singer leading an average tribute band. He doesn't give any justice to the beauty and grace of the Smiths' music.

Rick comes across as such a lovely man and did these songs purely out of his love for them. What’s the problem?

Rick is in harmony with his environment, his status, his life and his career.
I have the feeling, that some people here hate him for that alone.
dont think anyone on here hates him,just dont think they like what he has done,doesnt bother me as i like the music M makes more than the smiths.

dont think anyone on here hates him,just dont think they like what he has done,doesnt bother me as i like the music M makes more than the smiths.
No one with any taste in music liked Stock/Aitken/Waterman in 1987, but what Rick is doing here and now and how he performs, has my full approval. It's respect and love for the music he liked as a teenager, even if it's hard to believe. He also plays drums on ACDC covers. So it's a broad spectrum, but I don't find that alone reprehensible. A good client of our law firm regularly flies to his RAH shows and has been trying to convince me, for some time now, that his current music is really good. She gave me the latest CD and - what can I say - it's easy to listen to and not horrible at all.

No one with any taste in music liked Stock/Aitken/Waterman in 1987, but what Rick is doing here and now and how he performs, has my full approval. It's respect and love for the music he liked as a teenager, even if it's hard to believe. He also plays drums on ACDC covers. So it's a broad spectrum, but I don't find that alone reprehensible. A good client of our law firm regularly flies to his RAH shows and has been trying to convince me, for some time now, that his current music is really good. She gave me the latest CD and - what can I say - it's easy to listen to and not horrible at all.
put me out of my misery-rah,who he.

Back
Top Bottom