Fox5NY: Morrissey, Exclusive Performance & Interview (October 20, 2023)

UPDATE October 20:

"Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings" on "Good Day New York / Fox5NY - Winkin’ Long / YouTube. Link posted by TheSmiths_1985.

Interview with Rosanna Scotto now on Fox5NY and YouTube:

From MarcoD71 (mp4 download available):

Audio link and screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

full

Posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be interesting if the picture of The Smiths used for advertising the NY gigs you posted the other day had a hidden meaning.
It does..it shows the desperation to try to sell the myriad available NY tickets

Hello Morrissey/SER/Capitol/Columbia/Miley/Scott/Donnie/Michelle/God

Just wanted to say if you can get Bonfire out in 6 - 12 months you will improve our lives immeasurably.

I have been pathetically awaiting its release since 2021 and need to be put of my misery.

Yours,

Frank

See also - Central post:

Given it was written and recorded before he signed with Capitol… no
He explained it back in 2022 as « sometimes you are waiting for very important news … and sure enough the telephone rings ». It was recorded in January 2021. Also, his mother passed axay in August 2020. I interpreted the song as Morrissey was waiting to get ac call from the hospital announcing the tragic news. And sure enough the telephone rang and there was some stupid sales person at the other end of the line. Very recognisable, who doesn’t get these stupid calls?

I wonder if Rebel Withour Applause will be on there and, if so, whether it will be the same mix. I think the song is great but the production was poor in my opinion. Morrissey doesn't need autotune, you could hear the artifacts at times. It just sounds too digital.
I hope Morrissey will go back to the studio and re-record some of his vocals, with the same or a different producer. The recorded versions should be as good as the live versions. I also wish he would add the harmonica at the end of Veronica.

Yes now he has some full-time girls in the band maybe she could? Gustavo boosted things with his harmonica playing - perhaps she can help too.
Actually, you can hear one of the girls (or both?) doing backing vocals on Telephone Rings here, so it is certainly possible to ask them to do backing vocals on a re-recorded version of Veronica. I don’t know if anyone in the group can play the harmonica, and I guess it is not Moz’s style to ask Gustavo to help out now that Gustavo is playing in Alain’s band.

He says 'anals'. Whether it's deliberate or a Fruedian slip, who knows?
He made other slip ups with words around this time - the early days when he was more fluent and less defensive in interviews. The time when he would blush and explain how certain questions were becoming too personal, whereas later he was far more abrupt. I have theories about this, unfair to share as I have never met him to ask! He made these mistakes with words because his education came from reading; lots of us learn words from reading as opposed to hearing them.

He’ll be home and dry once we’ve got Starmer in power, then BOT will FINALLY be released because Starmer will want it.

Keir Starmer No Confidence Vote GIF by GIPHY News
He’ll need to chair a committee and hold multiple focus groups to see if he should hold a discussion about whether they should hold a committee to discuss whether or not they should talk about wait what was the proposition again?

I was privy to hearing a snippet or so of the studio version early on and my immediate reaction was that Miley’s vocals added nothing to the song. Nothing against her… I felt it was the production, but I think I said something like “it sounds like it was recorded underwater. Like something that should be in The Little Mermaid”. My opinion at the time was that Moz’s voice is strong enough and could have perfectly handled the song without the BV’s being what seemed to be shoehorned in (which as we’re now finding was just as much done for name recognition as anything). His voice is as strong as it’s ever been and he’s singing as well as ever. Ironically, he didn’t need her vocals and the song would have been better (imo) without them… AND we may not be facing a future where we still have no idea when we’ll hear the full record. Oh, well.
Yesterday I decided to listen to the new Rolling Stones album on YT. The album itself is great. Perfect compositions, great Jagger, truly irresistible Lady Gaga. An album referring to the Stones in their glory days. There was one thing I didn't like and at the same time it reminded me of something. Sound, production. I checked . The producer of Hackney Diamonds is Andy Watt. I really want BOT to see the light of day as soon as possible. But I'm very afraid of what the producer has done with great songs. I am afraid that the difference between what we hear (less and less often, but still) at concerts and what is on the album is huge the detriment of studio recordings. And yes, the Rebels studio version is tragically bad :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom