Morrissey Central "FORTY YEARS AGO" (January 9, 2024)

aea277daa0414b945f48cbc84e9f94368f68bb46.gif

What Difference Does It Make? (Rough Trade Records)

Don't care what Morrissey thinks about this single, this is one of their all time top singles.
The single/album version is such a top tune, Johnnys relentless sublime riff, especially at the end is in my opinion one of his best. Everything sounds fantastic on it, and 2 more top tunes on the b-side. The What Difference and Back to The Old House and These Things versions are way better than the Hatful versions in my opinion.
3 singles in and they had already nailed it. Class.
I agree with 'These Things Take' but no way on 'Old House' - that version on Hatful (though stripped down) was superior to the B-side version I think. By far, the best version of 'These Things' exists as the B-side, you're right about that. It's actually a good song if you listen to that version, whereas the one on Hatful has a tape speed problem it seems, and sounds like it was recorded rough.

I agree with 'These Things Take' but no way on 'Old House' - that version on Hatful (though stripped down) was superior to the B-side version I think. By far, the best version of 'These Things' exists as the B-side, you're right about that. It's actually a good song if you listen to that version, whereas the one on Hatful has a tape speed problem it seems, and sounds like it was recorded rough.
We will agree to disagree on Back to The Old House Juan, i just think Johnny's beautiful warm sounding guitar on the single version is really wonderful. The Hatful version hasn't got that but yes, its still great and retains the sadness of the songs theme of well, sadness.

We will agree to disagree on Back to The Old House Juan, i just think Johnny's beautiful warm sounding guitar on the single version is really wonderful. The Hatful version hasn't got that but yes, its still great and retains the sadness of the songs theme of well, sadness.

I will happily agree-to-disagree any day. I'm glad you enjoy the single version, I've got no issue with that :D

Hatful of Hollow is the best full length The Smiths ever released.

Alain had a crack at this song on his page. Hopefully he does a proper cover at one of his gigs. Me thinks that's the closest we will come to hearing this again.

I think that's right.
It’s pure perfection. And to my ears, captures the complete quirky, English, eccentric and beautifully melancholic essence of the Smiths.

How old were yous guys when this was released ?

I’ll start. I was 9 going on 10.
Wouldn’t hear of The Smith’s for another 4 years

How old were yous guys when this was released ?

I’ll start. I was 9 going on 10.
Wouldn’t hear of The Smith’s for another 4 years

23, negative.
I can still remember floating as a load of molecules in the galaxy, those were the good days... :lbf:

It’s pure perfection. And to my ears, captures the complete quirky, English, eccentric and beautifully melancholic essence of the Smiths.
With the exceptions of Reel Around the Fountain and You've Got Everything Now, I prefer all the Hatful of Hollow versions to the "studio" versions. It was also the first The Smiths LP I bought (on cassette). Actually, I think it might've been a Christmas present.

One of my all-time favourites, absolutely love this one.

In regards to Hatful, it’s not the best one. It’s actually Louder Than Bombs that’s the bomb!
(see what I did there? Hilarious).

My signed 7 " of WDDIM it was signed in 1984 when they played N Staffs Polytech.

Attachments

• 289935562_10162180736232846_2339155818973345992_n.jpg
    289935562_10162180736232846_2339155818973345992_n.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 0

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom