"Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

This clip continued to fuel my excitement for the release of 25live in the theaters! I'm looking forward to it (hey it's all we got Moz-wise at the mo). :guitar:

No, this is not one of my favorite versions of "Every Day is like Sunday" and yes the band played it so-so. And yes the version from the Move festival is superior. However Morrissey sounded great, looked handsome and seemed to be having fun. I have seen other songs from that night on youtube, and I wonder if this wasn't the best song to showcase. The movie also appears to have been well shot and put together...should look great in hi-def on the big screen:D

I don't see how you guys get the message "it's over" from a so-so version of one song. Everyone here knows part of the magic of being at a Morrissey concert is being in the same room as him. It's electric. It's magic. Really. This video tries to capture it, but it can only go so far. Reread the reviews from Moz's shows from earlier this year...they are super complimentary:) He still has it, it has just changed a bit over the years;)

Agree with your sentiments totally.
Love or hate the band, you can't take away from the quality of some of the work.
Given what an awkward cuss Moz can be, his continual use of Boz at least tells he is happy with keeping him.
To add to the list... I believe the following are all Boz credited... not exhaustive...
"Now My Heart Is Full"
"Spring-Heeled Jim"
"The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get"
"Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning"
"Speedway"
"The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils"
"Reader Meet Author"
"Maladjusted"
"Ammunition"
"Satan Rejected My Soul"
"Come Back to Camden"
"I'm Not Sorry"
"The World is Full of Crashing Bores"
"I Like You"
"I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"
"That's How People Grow Up"
"Black Cloud"
"One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell"
"Jack the Ripper"
"Christian Dior"
"Mexico"
"Noise is the Best Revenge"
"The Public Image"
"The Slum Mums"
"You've Had Her"
Not a bad musical c.v.
Regards,
FWD

I get it, you are on of those people who think everything Morrissey releases is brilliant. Well, the album sales tell a different tale.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out that some of the worst & most tuneless songs were composed by 'musical director' Boz. He should be the first to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
the band clearly get a lot of abuse, but the same band (pretty much) played the same song beautifully on the Hollywood Bowl footage.

I'd argue that the band, and the versions of the songs, sound exactly how Morrissey wants them to sound. If you don't like the versions, it's his fault, not theirs

I get it, you are on of those people who think everything Morrissey releases is brilliant. Well, the album sales tell a different tale.

But this argument only works if Morrissey had ever been a big-selling album artist. Even in the so-called "glory days" he wasn't. He's always been a cult artist in terms of shifting units, so pointing to low album sales as evidence of decline simply doesn't hold water.

To all critics, ...I've seen on Belgium TV the Werchter live gig from Depeche Mode, well...if you think this is bad, just only Martin Gore tries to get it going, a festival gig, and they play new songs some old, only ' enjoy the silence' got the crowd really moving.

What I'm saying Morrissey, and The Smiths peer bands, singers [m/f], aren't that great or even touring.

I agree, the song which was seen was not good, but to end it...yes I definately gonna buy 25 live..

... about the future we can all write things, but I wait...

I hope he continues but he needs the break now to recover properly. After a succession of illness he pushed himself far too hard and judging by the truetoyou statements his expectations have been too high. We still have the autobiography to look forward to and perhaps a new album in the future. We are lucky fans!

But this argument only works if Morrissey had ever been a big-selling album artist. Even in the so-called "glory days" he wasn't. He's always been a cult artist in terms of shifting units, so pointing to low album sales as evidence of decline simply doesn't hold water.

He doesn't release an album with the aim of it achieving modest sales.

If he was once selling 250,000 copies of an album, and now sells 90,000 or so that isn't really a sign of success is it? Perhaps in Topsy Turvy Land.

The Hollywood High footage shows a man who appears rather unwell, for whatever reason. I don't know if it was shot before, during or after the ulcer, but he looks terrible, and far older than his years. The change in him in just the nine years between the two clips is quite shocking.

Can he come back? He's done it before, so yes, it is possible. As the years pass it becomes less likely, though.

Always get a frisson at the segue from Subway Train to Sunday... Love this version.
Just watched Little Barrie the other day playing with Primal Scream before the Stones at Glastonbury. He's a good guitarist.

It is obviously much better than the version in the news item above but I really don't think this level of live shows is unattainable again. He'll be back.

Does anybody remember this man?

How can anyone watch this and say it's a splendid performance?

Morrissey, for the love of God, get your shit together. This will not do.

Seriously, my dog whimpered and ran out of the room while I was playing that.

Moz sounds a bit croaky, but overall not too bad. Unfortunately the band sounds like they are playing the funeral march, with the stodgy slow tempo sucking all the life out of the song. It's no wonder the audience are so lifeless.
Mind you, for all we know the sluggish tempo is *how* Moz asked them to play it, much as he asked the band to do the punk version of This Charming Man, for his own arcane reasons.
The mind boggles.

They did the "punk" version of This Charming Man because Jesse can't play Johnny Marr's intricacies on guitar.

THAT is the reason.

This band has nothing special on drums (he's from The Bravery for God's sake). The keyboardist is random and very average. The bassist excels on plucking one string at a time with a pick. Rhythm guitarist plays like he's waiting to go to the pub and the lead guitarist wouldn't know finesse and intricacy if it hit him in the face.

Does anybody remember this man?

Yes indeed.

I also remember long-time fans bemoaning the Morrissey of 2004 as a caracature, a sellout and a shadow of his youthful self. Personally I thought he was perfection (for the third or fourth time in his career).

The Hollywood High clip is not optimal (to use a current phrase). Still, Morrissey was optimal just a few months ago. The man can seesaw between highs and lows not just in the space of a single tour or a single month but in the space of a few days.

I hope he rests up and can find a way to come out swinging once again. Not many people have been able to "come back" so many times in such glorious fashion; if he stops now he can look back on a string of artistic successes that anyone, anywhere would envy.

jeez, with "fans" like these...
maybe all you whiny little bastards should "retire" or "hang it up" or whatever. I would actually like to keep hearing Moz sing and perform. It's not 2004 anymore, get over it. If you were there (I was), be happy that you were and move on.
As for the "plodding" tempo for this performance, well, it's pretty much right on with the studio version. Faster does not equal better, especially when it comes to a man in his mid-fifties.
Lets face it, nobody still comes close to Morrissey, which is why you fools just can't tear yourselves away.

jeez, with "fans" like these...
maybe all you whiny little bastards should "retire" or "hang it up" or whatever. I would actually like to keep hearing Moz sing and perform. It's not 2004 anymore, get over it. If you were there (I was), be happy that you were and move on.
As for the "plodding" tempo for this performance, well, it's pretty much right on with the studio version. Faster does not equal better, especially when it comes to a man in his mid-fifties.
Lets face it, nobody still comes close to Morrissey, which is why you fools just can't tear yourselves away.

"especially when it comes to a man in his mid-fifties"! Isn't that a bit ageist, you're the one who is insinuating that he is past it not us. We're merely reflecting on the quality of his performance.

What I really miss in all the live rendition of Everyday is the tambourine from the original studio version. Is it so hard to use the tambourine?

"especially when it comes to a man in his mid-fifties"! Isn't that a bit ageist, you're the one who is insinuating that he is past it not us. We're merely reflecting on the quality of his performance.

Was I suggesting that "he is past it" (whatever that means)? Making a factual statement about Morrissey's age is not an ageist comment, it's just a fact. I personally am glad he's slowed down a bit... he seems to have entered his Sinatra phase (which I find quite becoming). I prefer it too him shaking his dick around like Mick Jagger! I mean, do you want to see him collapsing on stage even more than he already does?

I think it's beautiful and I'm grateful for this. What are we all going to do when he's done and gone? Who will we complain about then?

I get it--it's not like other peppy earlier live versions but the man is clearly singing his heart out and making heart-shaped sweat stains on his shirt for YOU! You better take it or leave it.

I miss Johnny Marr's playing on this song. He used to do it so much better.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out that some of the worst & most tuneless songs were composed by 'musical director' Boz. He should be the first to go.

Oh please. Album sales are meaningless at determining whether an album is brilliant. Patti Smith's Horses is considered to be one of the most brilliant albums of all time and I would be surprised to learn if it sold very many units at all (though I could be very wrong). In fact, I was just reading about Neutral Milk Hotel and their seminal album, considered by many to be brilliant, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has sold only 300,000 copies since it came out nearly 15 years ago. This was pretty shocking to me and I was astonished by how low this number was (in fact if somebody told me this wasn't true I wouldn't be a bit surprised). This in spite of the fact that wikipedia tells me that "The album continues to sell well, and was the sixth-best-selling vinyl album in 2008."

Brilliance is not determined by record sales. That being said I do not think that Morrissey's last album was anything approaching brilliant, but I don't think it was a terrible album. In fact, I would say it was a good album. And the reviews in the commercial press would back me up on this--4 Stars from All Music Guide, which only gave Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and I, You Are the Quarry four and half stars. Hell, All Music Guide only gave Meat is Murder 3 1/2 stars (and no I don't believe that Years of Refusal holds a candle to Meat is Murder nor is it merely half a star away in quality from Moz's best solo work). Pitchfork Media gave the album 8.1/10, NME 8/10. The Guardian, Rolling Stone, and Q all gave it three stars and Spin and Uncut gave the album 4 stars. Meaningless metrics yes, but indicative of how out of touch some of the naysayers are here.

The point being is this--the Smiths were a brilliant band and one of the most innovative bands of popular music of the last thirty years. They are also my personal favorite band of all time. Morrissey's solo career has had ups (Viva Hate, Bona Drag) and downs (Kill Uncle, Maladjusted). He's one of the greatest artists of all times and probably my favorite artist after the Smiths. That being said his output for the last ten years has not been the most brilliant and innovative work of music in general of the last ten years. But it hasn't been terrible. It's been pretty good.

So in summary--Morrissey is a legendary music figure who has been involved with some of the most innovative and brilliant music of the last 30 years, he continues to record albums that are good and well-recieved critically, he tours regularly (when he's not canceling) selling out venues that are about the size expected for a cult indie artist, and people here think his career has reached some unprecedented low in all of musical history and he should quit.

I am not of the Morrissey can no do wrong crowd, he can, but I am also not of the Morrissey can no do right crowd either. And I find both groups of people similarly delusional and out of touch with reality. I suspect both groups are suffering from a heavy dose of nostalgia and reacting to it in very different ways.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom