"Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

Out of curiosity I just took a look at the comments following Hollywood High and apart from a few gripes from non-veggies about “Meat is murder”, the length of the queue to get in, some sections of the audience being unresponsive, the almost unanimous opinion on Kristeen Young, there were virtually no other negative comments. According to those there he was in great shape, great voice, the band were excellent, there was loads of energy, even Russell Brand’s intro was good.

In this video he looks very tired, obviously still recovering from his various ailments and “Everyday” is played at a funeral pace, certainly not as good as when I saw him in Pittsburgh but then I didn’t think he was as good as he was at the Palladium in 2011. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the vast majority of Morrissey fans don’t care, once he sets foot on stage we’re so pleased simply that he’s there that we discard our sense of discernment and allow ourselves to wallow in blinkered ecstasy.

Perhaps the harsh truth of the video camera’s eye shows us in retrospect that he wasn’t as good as those present at the time perceived him to be, that what they saw from a certain distance wasn’t quite as it appears up close and personal. Or maybe it’s just that 99% of us would rather see him not at his best than not see him at all.

Last edited:
It's all a question of taste, my friend. There's no objective, scientific "proof" that says ROTT or YOR weren't "all that". Some here don't rate YATQ at all. Others rate YOR more than Kill Uncle. It's all subjective opinion, not fact. And record sales rely on marketing these days, no matter how "good" or "bad" the content - look at the new Bowie album for example: appears out of the blue in a cloud of secrecy and represents what many view as his best material in thirty years. It's Top 3 round the world for a couple of weeks then disappears without trace. And Morrissey hardly has the cachet of Bowie.

Oh wait, I see this is the extraordinary insight of JB again... now it all makes sense.

I perfectly understand your desire to continually cross swords with me, my anonymous friend, but if you do you really should bring something bigger than a plastic spork.

I'm sorry if logical thought confuses you. I'll type this very slowly in the hope you will be able to keep up.

In the music business the emphasis is on the second word, not the first, even for Morrissey. If it was just about the music he'd record and release an album himself, confident in its inevitable success. Radiohead manage it.

Taste is subjective, but sales figures aren't. Now, you can say that he should not worry about what the proles think about his music, except... It does. It matters when he sits in front of a label boss who has shown an interest in working with him. The days when a record company can afford marquee artists, who are there to add a certain cachet to the label, are over. Having Morrissey on your label was a feather in your cap twenty-five years ago. Today it is not.

Taste is subjective, but sales figures aren't. Now, you can say that he should not worry about what the proles think about his music, except... It does. It matters when he sits in front of a label boss who has shown an interest in working with him.

If this awful "25 Live" dvd is released, no record company will ever touch him again. Isn't there anyone in Morrissey's entourage who has the balls to say: "Morrissey, get your shit together. This will not do!" Apparently not.

He still believes he's at the top of his game, because he's surrounded by Yes-men.

Morrissey needs a reality check.

The opening act morrissey has at the moment, is by far and away the best hes ever had!
The Iggy and the stooges? crap! compared 2 kristeen young!
Have you actually seen kristeen live in concert?
Absolulty fantastic live! :)

In fact if kristeen was not there 2 open up the proceedings...
It would be a complete waste of everyones time, effort and money!
And im sure morrissey would agrea!
Morrissey hand picked her because shes the best! shes not there just 2 make up the numbers!

But yes of course being so talented and gifted ect can, unfortunatly or fortunaly as the case may be, somtimes come at a price!
And one can have the tendency 2 be slightly temperamental in nature, but we forgive her this, in fact we welcome her with open arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shes utterly wonderfull ! :)
Depression contest, V the volcanic, fantastic failure ect ect absoloutley amazing live! :)

But its not all just about her hypnotic stage presence and amazing vocals, the music is incredible 2!
A class act!
If you want fantastic music that thrills, excites, gets the adrenaline and feel good endorphins pumping, go and see kristeen young live in concert!
If thats not your "cuppa tea" then feel free 2 go else were!

But theres 100s of thousands of adoring fans who would pay top dollar 2 see kristeen as the headliner! :)

Go 2 the website www.kristeenyoung.com and download some tracks, oh and do yourself a favour and buy some t-shirts whilst your there! :)
you're right about her not being the worst opening act ever for moz seen her opening for him 3 maybe 4 times now and didn't think she was too bad but I agree with others that on her own she couldn't sell out a kebab shop

Looks like it was put together well, this footage. Not as good as the Hollywood Bowl stuff but o well, we're never getting that (officially). Still on course to buy this release when it comes out.

ah I dont know, for me its the other way round....
for me, its far more interesting and "entertaining"(?) to watch th 25-clip, than lets say "who put the m", because,
in that period, to me, he really was too far from his roots, lets call it punk. the moves on this "MOVE"-festival seem very strange and very un-morrissey to me, whereas now, this low-scale-shows are much less "performing" and much more "real" to me. I also like to see him struggle, because thats what you do as you age.

to me, all is fine, I just want another good album, better and more-dimensional than YOR

The opening act morrissey has at the moment, is by far and away the best hes ever had!
The Iggy and the stooges? crap! compared 2 kristeen young!
Have you actually seen kristeen live in concert?
Absolulty fantastic live! :)

In fact if kristeen was not there 2 open up the proceedings...
It would be a complete waste of everyones time, effort and money!
And im sure morrissey would agrea!
Morrissey hand picked her because shes the best! shes not there just 2 make up the numbers!

But yes of course being so talented and gifted ect can, unfortunatly or fortunaly as the case may be, somtimes come at a price!
And one can have the tendency 2 be slightly temperamental in nature, but we forgive her this, in fact we welcome her with open arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shes utterly wonderfull ! :)
Depression contest, V the volcanic, fantastic failure ect ect absoloutley amazing live! :)

But its not all just about her hypnotic stage presence and amazing vocals, the music is incredible 2!
A class act!
If you want fantastic music that thrills, excites, gets the adrenaline and feel good endorphins pumping, go and see kristeen young live in concert!
If thats not your "cuppa tea" then feel free 2 go else were!

But theres 100s of thousands of adoring fans who would pay top dollar 2 see kristeen as the headliner! :)

Go 2 the website www.kristeenyoung.com and download some tracks, oh and do yourself a favour and buy some t-shirts whilst your there! :)

Sorry but I don't know what planet you are on as Kirsteen Young is absolutely AWFUL!!! She will NEVER make it on her own and is just clinging onto Morrissey. Most of the Moz hardcore fans CANNOT Stand Kristeen! The sooner Moz dumps her the better. She brings nothing but bad luck.

Out of curiosity I just took a look at the comments following Hollywood High and apart from a few gripes from non-veggies about “Meat is murder”, the length of the queue to get in, some sections of the audience being unresponsive, the almost unanimous opinion on Kristeen Young, there were virtually no other negative comments. According to those there he was in great shape, great voice, the band were excellent, there was loads of energy, even Russell Brand’s intro was good.

In this video he looks very tired, obviously still recovering from his various ailments and “Everyday” is played at a funeral pace, certainly not as good as when I saw him in Pittsburgh but then I didn’t think he was as good as he was at the Palladium in 2011. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the vast majority of Morrissey fans don’t care, once he sets foot on stage we’re so pleased simply that he’s there that we discard our sense of discernment and allow ourselves to wallow in blinkered ecstasy.

Perhaps the harsh truth of the video camera’s eye shows us in retrospect that he wasn’t as good as those present at the time perceived him to be, that what they saw from a certain distance wasn’t quite as it appears up close and personal. Or maybe it’s just that 99% of us would rather see him not at his best than not see him at all.

The crowd were absolutely pathetic! You see more life in a Morgue. Most of the LA 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry but I don't know what planet you are on as Kirsteen Young is absolutely AWFUL!!! She will NEVER make it on her own and is just clinging onto Morrissey. Most of the Moz hardcore fans CANNOT Stand Kristeen! The sooner Moz dumps her the better. She brings nothing but bad luck.
I agree she's not great but I have seen much worse support acts at moz gigs I think he does it intentionally so he sounds even more amazing when he comes on

Saying she isn't Moz's worst act is clutching straws really, her as a idividual is still terrible. It doesn't mean anything anyway, the best could be amazing or abysmal.

Let me put it another way, off all the support acts I've seen at moz gigs she is the best of a bad bunch
I saw Doll & The Kicks and they were just completely monotonous. I just felt like it was the same song over and over again, just one long song. I haven't heard their album but live they were a complete drone :sleeping:

I saw Doll & The Kicks and they were just completely monotonous. I just felt like it was the same song over and over again, just one long song. I haven't heard their album but live they were a complete drone :sleeping:

I had completely forgotten about this band. I know Moz mentioned them once in some interview, I think it was with MTV2. He said something like that they were his favorite band and the interviewer, who was some kind uber cool hipster, had never heard of them. I googled them and could find nothing about them other a thread on this forum about them disbanding. Sort of like when I found out Kristeen Young was opening for Moz and I googled her--only Moz related things showed up.

Anyways I just looked them up on Spotify and listened to one song and they don't seem that bad. Much better than Kristeen Young. I would rather have seen them.

I had completely forgotten about this band. I know Moz mentioned them once in some interview, I think it was with MTV2. He said something like that they were his favorite band and the interviewer, who was some kind uber cool hipster, had never heard of them. I googled them and could find nothing about them other a thread on this forum about them disbanding. Sort of like when I found out Kristeen Young was opening for Moz and I googled her--only Moz related things showed up.

Anyways I just looked them up on Spotify and listened to one song and they don't seem that bad. Much better than Kristeen Young. I would rather have seen them.

Morrissey hails unsigned group's frontwoman as 'best British singer in years'

Listening to them on Spotify I actually kinda like them.

I don't know what they are like live though.

Hannah is really tall. And down to earth, a lovely woman. I asked to take a pic with her after a show and she told me not to be nervous. :D

Morrissey 25: Live Film Review ~ Hollywood Reporter

Snippets...

The original performance began with an onstage introduction by Morrissey’s friend and cheerleader Russell Brand, a heartfelt eulogy which – bizarrely – has been cut from the finished film. Brand and other celebrity acolytes, including Patti Smith, are now glimpsed only fleetingly in an opening montage. This is a baffling omission, considering Brand is not just an eloquent orator but arguably more famous nowadays than Morrissey himself. But as we long-suffering fans know all too well, the Oscar Wilde of pop moves in mysterious ways.

Among the musical highlights are a clutch of Smiths classics. They include a scouringly heavy remake of Meat Is Murder, an angry vegetarian manifesto illustrated with hellish visual clips of animal cruelty, and a graceful rearrangement of the melancholy ballad Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want. Fans of Morrissey’s retro-crooner side will also enjoy his sumptuous, feverishly melodramatic cover version of Frankie Valli’s 1967 torch song, To Give (The Reason I Live).

Compared to the last official Morrissey concert film, Who Put The M In Manchester? In 2004, 25: Live is a largely lackluster affair. Which is frustrating, because the singer remains a unique cultural icon, with more than enough musical treasure and prickly charisma to make a Don’t Look Back or a Stop Making Sense. But that would require a heavyweight director to challenge and cajole him out of his mid-life comfort zone. Until then, he will continue to preach to the converted with perfunctory promotional items like this, which is as good as it needs to be but no more.

Back
Top Bottom