Do you think Morrissey is an alcoholic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Is Morrissey a drunkard?

• Total voters
The other day, a friend of mine and I were discussing 80s bands doing reunion tours and how Journey is touring without their frontman Steve perry because he is agoraphobic. So then I got to mulling the idea that maybe Moz might be as well. He used to spend "warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg." This might explain how Moz could cancel a show literally hours before he's set to go onstage. The band's set up, fans are in line snaked around the building, T-Shirt vendors are selling their wares...then all of a sudden. Nada. When the planets align and all is right in the world- he goes on, does his thing and it's all good....then there's those other times. Unexplained illnesses...nausea...panic attacks, perhaps? The realization that all this touching and hugging during a show, whether in the United States, the United Kingdom or the United Arab Emirates just isn't safe and he's not coming out of his dressing room. Like that eccentric uncle we all cover for, the band covers for him well. Just a theory.

No...

Too many pints of tenants bitter or tumblers of Grey Goose I doubt it. Sounds like he has a vodka to unwind with the band but he never looks like an alcoholic.

Simply put, no.
Having worked with people with addictive issues, I would expect behaviours to be present more consistently than people are speculating about.
A few incidents of what people think is drunken behaviour does not constitute a problem for the person concerned.
Given the amount of gigs the man has done WITHOUT slurring words, falling over etc, no signs of petechial rash or visible shaking et al, I think people have simply seen things and extrapolated what they want to think from visual clues.
Being eccentric and liking a drink are not the same as relying on drink to get through a day.
If he can get through gigs, respond to fans sensibly and generally interact with the world without causing too much concern then there is no issue here.
Illness and cancelling gigs are a different issue. Who can forget the meningitis 'scare'!?
Just my 2pence/cents.
(As for Noel Gallagher... I personally think he trots out these quips to look cool. I lost respect for him after continually reading how he saw Moz as 'god like', yet could not pick a Smiths album in his top ten favourite albums. I think he would attend the opening of an envelope if it made him look current).
If I was to speculate about what people think is alcoholism (which I doubt), I would guess a few drinks mixed with various prescribed meds messing with your blood stream might create what is being described.
Regards,
FWD

You don't seem to be aware of the concept "functioning alcoholic." http://alcoholism.about.com/od/problem/a/functional.htm
"Denial runs deep with this type of drinker."

Too many pints of tenants bitter or tumblers of Grey Goose I doubt it. Sounds like he has a vodka to unwind with the band but he never looks like an alcoholic.

If he was an alcoholic his nose would look like a raspberry and not the cute looking one with the adorable little cleft on the tip.

Back
Top Bottom