Did The Smiths ever open for other bands?

According to Johnny Marr. According to other eye-witnesses she was working at the club but did not perform. I'm not saying who is right.

The Smiths supported:

Blue Rondo A La Turk (4/10/82, Hacienda)

52nd Street (4/2/83, Hacienda)

Sisters Of Mercy (6/5/83, ULU)

The Fall (21/5/83, Camden Electric Ballroom)

Aztec Camera (30/6/83, University of Warwick) - Craig Gannon on guitar

Altered Images (24/7/83, Hammersmith Palais - cancelled)

Howard Devoto (7/8/83, London Lyceum)

Gang Of Four (25/9/83, London Lyceum)

Quando Quango (5/10/83, ICA, London)

New Order (19/7/86, G-Mex, Manchester)

Thank you! So for sure New Order was the LAST band Morrissey supported?

According to Johnny Marr. According to other eye-witnesses she was working at the club but did not perform. I'm not saying who is right.

The Smiths supported:

While we are on a roll!
Manhattan, Manchester 25th Jan 83 - shared billing with 'Foreign Press'
Rafters, Manchester 21st Feb 83 - opened for 'Richard Hell' and the 'Voidoids'
Brixton, 4th June 83 - opened for 'The Decorators'
Also add 'The Impressions' to the ICA, 5th Oct 83
Aztec Camera was shared billing.
Kind regards,
FWD

While we are on a roll!
Manhattan, Manchester 25th Jan 83 - shared billing with 'Foreign Press'
Rafters, Manchester 21st Feb 83 - opened for 'Richard Hell' and the 'Voidoids'
Brixton, 4th June 83 - opened for 'The Decorators'
Also add 'The Impressions' to the ICA, 5th Oct 83
Aztec Camera was shared billing.
Kind regards,
FWD

I've never heard of The Decorators. I can't stand sax rock but this is a pretty interesting song. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! So for sure New Order was the LAST band Morrissey supported?

Twice in 86.
Royal Court, 8th Feb 86 - shared billing with New Order and The Fall
And lastly,
GMEX, 19th July 86 - co-headliners with New Order (but you are right as New Order were last on)
Also on the bill were: A Certain Ratio, The Fall, Peter Shelley.
Regards,
FWD

Also the Bollocks Brothers, Bree, Belgium, 22/4/84.

Not buying "shared billing" for Aztec Camera or New Order, though. What band appeared last is what counts. And Aztec Camera were certainly a bigger band at the time. Not sure about Foreign Press, because I have no idea about who appeared last.

So for sure New Order was the LAST band Morrissey supported?

No, Morrissey has supported Madness, David Bowie and U2.

Last edited:
Should add, after some digging and not mentioned by Mr.Marr's great list....
The Student Union Gig at Warwick Uni also featured not only Aztec... but
'Truth' and 'Impossible Dreamers' who are new to me.
Cheers,
FWD

Also the Bollocks Brothers, Bree, Belgium, 22/4/84.

Not buying "shared billing" for Aztec Camera or New Order, though. What band appeared last is what counts. And Aztec Camera were certainly a bigger band at the time. Not sure about Foreign Press, because I have no idea about who appeared last.

No, Morrissey has supported Madness, David Bowie and U2.

Oh, you mean sans Smiths? I hadn't thought of that.

The Smiths supported:

I remember the interview with Johnny Marr in regards to Madonna supporting The Smiths. It was at a club called Danceiteria, and I am pretty certain she 'played' 3 songs. 'Played' meaning she sang along to what the DJ was playing. I also believe she worked at this club. Doing what I shutter to think.

Twice in 86.
Royal Court, 8th Feb 86 - shared billing with New Order and The Fall
And lastly,
GMEX, 19th July 86 - co-headliners with New Order (but you are right as New Order were last on)
Also on the bill were: A Certain Ratio, The Fall, Peter Shelley.
Regards,
FWD

Royal Court was a benefit "From Manchester with Love" and the G-Mex was the finale concert of a week long Mancheter Festival to celebrate 10 years since the Sex Pistols played at the Lesser Free Trade Hall (the Festival of the Tenth Summer). On both occassions New Order and The Smiths were headline acts, but in Liverpool they opted themselves to go on first, and Manchester they surprised a lot of people by only a day or so before the gig announcing that they were going to play in the middle of the afternoon, which they did (about 4ish) with much smaller acts having to follow them. In fact, Howard Devoto followed with a short lived backing band called "The Adultery" using most of the instruments left on stage by The Smiths.

One more for the list is the Red Wedge gig at Newcastle City Hall, 31 Jan 86. The Style Council (I think billed as Paul Weller) were headliners. Possibly, they played a few numbers, then left the stage and the Smiths played for a bit, then they came back.

Somebody on the mainpage mentioned Muse. Is that true?

In my opinion, festivals don't count. True support is one name on the ticket in bold print and the support's name in a tiny font or not even on the ticket, a few hours of music, people buy a ticket to see so-and-so and they get to see Morrissey as a bonus, so to speak. The headliner is the tits and Morrissey is the bra, he supports them.

Festivals either count or don't count, depending entirely on whether you want them to. I don't think the UN Security Council has addressed the issue yet.

Muse were headliners on the Sunday Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury 2004, with Morrissey second on the bill.

Festivals either count or don't count, depending entirely on whether you want them to. I don't think the UN Security Council has addressed the issue yet.

Muse were headliners on the Sunday Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury 2004, with Morrissey second on the bill.

A guess for the case of a thorough catalogue they'd have to count. I'd asterisk them for sure. The UNSC would agree. :D

Back
Top Bottom