Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Do you really think Marr would work with Mike again. He already has a brilliant band with him who have worked together for 10 years and there's nothing stopping him doing a full set of Smiths songs right now. You always pap on about Marr fans when most people who like Marr also like Morrissey. I'm off to see Marr in Hammersmith later this year with the same 6 people who I went to see Morrissey with at his last Manchester show
✓✓✓ I think the silent majority of Morrissey fans ie the ones who don't post gubbins on here are also fans of Johnny Marr.
Not totally sure if that works vice versa - though one would like to think so.

a

after the show some of his fans say i wish he never showed up as they are carted off to the hospital with their hearing impaired for the forseeable.
Since I have been to both, I can definitely say fans have a better experience at New Order

Since I have been to both, I can definitely say fans have a better experience at New Order
do you wear ear plugs when you go in to the concert and just watch bernie the bolt mouthing the lyrics.
i was walking up the road and there was two arrows,one said free new order concert and the other said chemical castration,get the stitches out next week.

do you wear ear plugs when you go in to the concert and just watch bernie the bolt mouthing the lyrics.
i was walking up the road and there was two arrows,one said free new order concert and the other said chemical castration,get the stitches out next week.

You've missed head off the words under your user name Gordy.

remember last summer when astley and the blossoms were playing in a tent,there were people on here literally cumming in their troosers they were that excited by what they were seeing,i watched it later and thought it was terrible,just shows if the timing is right and you have a willing crowd anything is possible.
M pops his clogs,would marr reform whats left of the smiths,course he would,guy would go to the opening of a fridge door with its bright lights.

thankfully M is here to block such monstrosity

It would not surprise me in the least if he was trying to provoke and re-engage Johnny.

Yeah, wondered about that too. If the meeting indeed was with Andy and Johnny he once again tries to erase the other band members, as also in "The meeting, of course was Morrissey and Marr" (not "me and Johnny". He often used "Morrissey and Marr" in third person to describe who was part of the Smiths in his opinion and who was not). That leaves an absolute bad taste in regard to the recent passing of Andy and his rightly celebrated part in The Smiths and if anything, it will drive Johnny further away. What a mess, again.

Morrissey writes another one of his poison pen posts, filled with demonstrably false statements, and the people who question it or criticize it are harassed.
Wake the f*** up. Plenty of people have told the story of Johnny and Andy, the very story Morrissey is disputing, people who were there.
Morrissey didn't write it, it was said casually, in conversation. Because comments like "Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! " generally roll off the tongue in casual conversation, and dont sound cheesy AT ALL, and of course, its only natural that someone was on hand to record the brilliance as it dripped from his mouth.

The ongoing factual reviews are all terribly well-mannered. The irony is that the other divided bands I liked quickly lowered the tone and descended into sweary name calling exchanges—but ultimately reconciled at a point down the road.

Sometimes I think Morrissey’s open letters should be limited to him calling Marr a ‘f***ing c***’. And a public response in kind from the latter might just clear the air.

Ultimately, it seems to do wonders for bands. I should however caution that the approach had mixed results for me on Christmas day just gone.

He's right to be wary that he's dropping down the agenda.

Even with the Smiths which he created 50/50 with Marr, M has now been relegated below Marr in terms of who is presented in the UK media as the founder and prime mover . Previously M was front and centre, as is typical for the singer / 'front man', but that's not the case now.

In regard to M being relegated in the Smiths profile, I first noted it when Andy died and all of the UK press carried Marr's statement first with Morrissey's words not even appearing second, but rather much further down news reports. Part of this was to do with the chronology of events with Marr announcing the death and 'getting in first' but this is only part of the explanation. There is a time when M's words about Andy would on their own steam have been worthy of coverage as a new item / article, however they largely only appeared as minor features in the music media. The coverage of Andy's death in the UK was more significant than I thought it would be, which does reflect that over recent years the stock of the Smiths continues to rise and I think it i fair to say they are now commonly accepted as one of the handful of the best UK bands ever (certainly in terms of ones who are appraised seriously for the quality of the musical and lyrical content). With the ascent of the Smith brand and profile forever on the up, it should concern Morrissey that his is so much on the wane, even in the context of his greatest work being with the band.

Also, the UK media presentation of the whole Rick Astley thing did come across as an attempt to airbrush M out of the picture. Incidentally, I do believe that Astley behaved quite dishonourably, not necessarily with the initial couple of gigs with Blossoms but certainly with the Glastonbury performance. A true 'artist', as opposed to an insignificant singer / 'creature of the media' (which is what Astley is) would never put themselves front and centre of someone else's material and be either interested in or comfortable basking in the accolades (which were far greater than for any he has received for his own material). The whole thing was an icky conspiracy falling somewhere between Astley's opportunism and unashamedness at taking the credit for others' genius and a UK media which has no relationship with Morrissey (and hence no interest in him).

Moz has very artfully painted himself out of The Smiths picture. Sure Moz was an essential component of the The Smiths, but he didn't do it alone. We could have had a reunion gig or tour if it weren't for the perpetually bitter Morrissey. He certainly deprived us of that! Despite his claims of how proud he is of The Smith's legacy he has always been jealous of his former band, deathly afraid of comparisons with his solo career, and he's absolutely haunted by the genius of Marr. Now that he's old he's foolishly equating himself with Mick Jagger. What would the Stones be without Mick Jagger? A better question would be, what would the Stones be without Keith Richards?
I love both Mick and Keith. Thankfully they are not total dicks.

Sometimes I think Morrissey’s open letters should be limited to him calling Marr a ‘f***ing c***’. And a public response in kind from the latter might just clear the air.
I've said it before, but a pay-per-view boxing match between the two would be the best, both to settle things once and for all, and drum up some publicity and cash. And we all know that after 10 rounds of beating lumps out of each other, Moz and Marr would be clutching each other in a sweaty embrace, and singing each other's praises.

I don't think this statement deserves that much venom. He IS being written out of Smiths history, and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. There's also nothing wrong with defending oneself.

I've said it before, but a pay-per-view boxing match between the two would be the best, both to settle things once and for all, and drum up some publicity and cash. And we all know that after 10 rounds of beating lumps out of each other, Moz and Marr would be clutching each other in a sweaty embrace, and singing each other's praises.
As a boxing fan, I agree that it’s amazing how a dust-up can fix the most poisonous rivalries (Eubank-Benn and Groves-Froch come immediately to mind).

Squire landed the dirtiest low-blow on Brown, when he called him a ‘tuneless knob’. A few years later, they’re embracing dewy-eyed on stage.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom