Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are definitely two different events??? The one when Andy and Johnny went and dropped off the tape. And then the signing to Rough Trade. From Morrissey's Autobiography:

“Lugubrious historian Geoff Travis looked bitterly upon the Smiths because, on the day that Johnny and I arrived for our scheduled meeting (clutching Hand in glove), Geoff waved us away and didn’t want to see us. It was only because Johnny chased after Geoff and pinned him to the swivel-chair in Geoff’s private hutch that Geoff very reluctantly listened to the music. ‘Well, it’s excellent and I’d like to release it immediately,’ said the man who, four minutes earlier, wouldn’t even say hello. From that moment on, once ‘the Smiths’ (actually just Johnny and I) were signed to Rough Trade.

Morrissey's version doesn't make any sense. Why would Geoff Travis schedule a meeting and then refuse to listen to the demo tape? This is definitely a badly remembered bit of Smiths history on his part. Maybe he's going senile?

It's the "persona" that doesn't make any sense.

It needs a serious investigation - not this endless he said X so he must be Y just like Z.
Fbi Fam GIF by CBS

As opposed to “he said X but I know he really meant Y because I love him & he is lovely”

Moz has very artfully painted himself out of The Smiths picture. Sure Moz was an essential component of the The Smiths, but he didn't do it alone. We could have had a reunion gig or tour if it weren't for the perpetually bitter Morrissey. He certainly deprived us of that! Despite his claims of how proud he is of The Smith's legacy he has always been jealous of his former band, deathly afraid of comparisons with his solo career, and he's absolutely haunted by the genius of Marr. Now that he's old he's foolishly equating himself with Mick Jagger. What would the Stones be without Mick Jagger? A better question would be, what would the Stones be without Keith Richards?
Well, what would the Stones be without Brian Jones? Nothing. He was the founder of the band. He chose the members. He named the band. He booked the gigs, and played instruments Keith Richard’s couldn’t even pronounce. So, I kind of understand where Morrissey is coming from here. Mick and Keith bullied Brian out of the band.

Maybe, in a different way, this is happening to Morrissey. To be honest, the way Marr slithered away with, “see you in two weeks, Moz” and never showed up again and everyone else but Morrissey already knew he wasn’t coming back…sounds a little familiar. Marr didn’t care about the Smiths. Marr cared about Marr. He’s the same way today, and because he, too, is bitter towards Moz, he’s casting shade on Morrissey’s part. Does Morrissey really deserve that? No. Because Moz really did pour his heart and soul into the Smiths. He is the Smiths for the most part. He worked harder than anyone in the band. Marr would rather be seen as the hero of the Smiths, he plays it cool, and the press lap it up. Morrissey is the difficult one. And the moment a person starts to question and point things out, the more he’s disliked. Its easier to push him aside. I agree, Morrissey hasn’t made it easy on himself and he’s been foolish, but he is NOT an idiot, nor is he blind.

No, he’ll never be washed completely out, but time and lies tend to blur the lines - and that’s what’s concerning.

Well, what would the Stones be without Brian Jones? Nothing. He was the founder of the band. He chose the members. He named the band. He booked the gigs, and played instruments Keith Richard’s couldn’t even pronounce. So, I kind of understand where Morrissey is coming from here. Mick and Keith bullied Brian out of the band.

Maybe, in a different way, this is happening to Morrissey. To be honest, the way Marr slithered away with, “see you in two weeks, Moz” and never showed up again and everyone else but Morrissey already knew he wasn’t coming back…sounds a little familiar. Marr didn’t care about the Smiths. Marr cared about Marr. He’s the same way today, and because he, too, is bitter towards Moz, he’s casting shade on Morrissey’s part. Does Morrissey really deserve that? No. Because Moz really did pour his heart and soul into the Smiths. He is the Smiths for the most part. He worked harder than anyone in the band. Marr would rather be seen as the hero of the Smiths, he plays it cool, and the press lap it up. Morrissey is the difficult one. And the moment a person starts to question and point things out, the more he’s disliked. Its easier to push him aside. I agree, Morrissey hasn’t made it easy on himself and he’s been foolish, but he is NOT an idiot, nor is he blind.

No, he’ll never be washed completely out, but time and lies tend to blur the lines - and that’s what’s concerning.

Delusional. Marr is indeed the hero of the Smiths. Without him, Mozzer would be trying to publish "List of the Lost" and piling up reject slips.

Is there an explanation, a justification for this? On the face of it it's petulant and childish, almost comically.
I don't know enough about the how the metadata works on a platform like BBC Sounds but my guess would be that it was, as you suggest, a petulant/childish action by a staffer there to erase Morrissey from having a connection to that song, on one random playlist. (Unless their playlists pull their info from other sources and just automatically upload them - I've no idea!)

Big mouth strikes again.
oh how original,like the opening line of 20 interviews we have read over the years,i have a policy where if an interview starts with bigmouth strikes again then i instantly stop reading because i know where its going.

Bernard Sumner could never have carried off This Night Has Opened My Eyes, could he now, so yes M is The Smiths.

Furthermore, are those flares representative of a sailor off deck?
bernard summer couldnt carry a bag of shopping,guys voice is ridiculously bad live.

Far Out's wee article is a little bit hilarious considering they previously posted this horrendous image:

View attachment 100404
remember last summer when astley and the blossoms were playing in a tent,there were people on here literally cumming in their troosers they were that excited by what they were seeing,i watched it later and thought it was terrible,just shows if the timing is right and you have a willing crowd anything is possible.
M pops his clogs,would marr reform whats left of the smiths,course he would,guy would go to the opening of a fridge door with its bright lights.

Morrissey writes another one of his poison pen posts, filled with demonstrably false statements, and the people who question it or criticize it are harassed.
Wake the f*** up. Plenty of people have told the story of Johnny and Andy, the very story Morrissey is disputing, people who were there.

remember last summer when astley and the blossoms were playing in a tent,there were people on here literally cumming in their troosers they were that excited by what they were seeing,i watched it later and thought it was terrible,just shows if the timing is right and you have a willing crowd anything is possible.
M pops his clogs,would marr reform whats left of the smiths,course he would,guy would go to the opening of a fridge door with its bright lights.

What? Do you really think Marr would work with Mike again. He already has a brilliant band with him who have worked together for 10 years and there's nothing stopping him doing a full set of Smiths songs right now. You always pap on about Marr fans when most people who like Marr also like Morrissey. I'm off to see Marr in Hammersmith later this year with the same 6 people who I went to see Morrissey with at his last Manchester show.

What? Do you really think Marr would work with Mike again. He already has a brilliant band with him who have worked together for 10 years and there's nothing stopping him doing a full set of Smiths songs right now. You always pap on about Marr fans when most people who like Marr also like Morrissey. I'm off to see Marr in Hammersmith later this year with the same 6 people who I went to see Morrissey with at his last Manchester show.
marr will work with anybodywhen the time is right,every time i open my laptop he is guesting with someone,hans zimmer,pretenders,killers,bryan ferry and the list goes on and on.

At least Bernard shows up and hasn't alienated most of his fanbase
after the show some of his fans say i wish he never showed up as they are carted off to the hospital with their hearing impaired for the forseeable.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom