Both Quarry anniversary events cancelled (January 25, 2024)

Tomorrow's show in Anaheim is canceled according to Ticketmaster :(

LA show is still on for now...

Posted by SOSB:

27th is cancelled as per Kia Forum twitter.

Links posted by Famous when dead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point. What I meant by "know him a little better on a personal level" is that we can perhaps relate to him better. Some of us are even more dysfunctional in life than he is. I'm just noticing that the people scolding him for squandering his opportunities for success seem to be pretty well-adjusted and successful in life themselves. They can't understand why someone would be so abnormal as to disappear without offering something as simple as an apology or explanation. "It's the easiest thing to do, why can't he? Doesn't he care about his fans' feelings and inconveniences?" Personally I've never expected him to care about me. He's the artist. I'm fortunate to have whatever he creates. And Morrissey's empathy scale is well-known to be differently structured than most people's. He's more concerned with animal suffering than with human disappointment. Seems about right to me. First world problems and all that.

And I realize it might not necessarily be a case of depression for him. It could be some other weirdness, who knows. The Noel Gallagher anecdote was a cancellation on account of pneumonia. "And yet here I am." I must be perverse, because I find that funny.
I thought this was interesting because in my real world, no normal adults, whether well adjusted or dysfunctional themselves, have reactions like the people losing it on this site and in this thread.

Normal adults??? Is it your first day here? 🤣
We are on page 26 and there are exactly 2 kinds of people commenting here:

- 99% of the people in this thread did not buy tickets and were never going to these concerts and are therefore unaffected in any way by these two cancellations, however they are here to complain because they already resent Morrissey and just want to be able to complain about him

- <1% have bought tickets to travel knowing any concert can be cancelled, and they want to be able to blame Morrissey for their own decisions which they now regret

When Morrissey Official posted these dates on facebook my comment was.. "Aaaaand.. they're canceled."

When I came here and saw the headline I literally laughed.

I feel bad for anyone who had tickets. I've been there before but you really have to buy them with the mindset that they are lottery tickets and until the day of the drawing you won't know if you won.

For a friend...
"High fliers ..deep rollers
Hop On life's rollercoasters🎢
Groovin on our manias
Cali life...
Our insania
So high past high
Into those dizzying heights
Our dark depressions
A strange delight...

Then the meeting
of our two strange minds....
We keep our strange ways
At the forefront of our minds.
We embrace each other as long lost friends...
Like happy lovers reunited again....

Right now you ask "What's wrong with me."?....
Same as always...
my complacency.
I see the trouble on my horizon.... Now I'll surprise you..
with vodka or Tizer.
I'll stay on my stage
and you can join me...
Our minds can meet
And we are both happy
Our dreams and days we can lend..
But first and always.
We will always be friends"
David & Molly

camgrey-26012024-0001.jpg

Camila - saying something?

Q on the bandwagon...

qmagazinemusic-26012024-0001.jpg

- 99% of the people in this thread did not buy tickets and were never going to these concerts and are therefore unaffected in any way by these two cancellations, however they are here to complain because they already resent Morrissey and just want to be able to complain about him

- <1% have bought tickets to travel knowing any concert can be cancelled, and they want to be able to blame Morrissey for their own decisions which they now regret

Re the 99%: yes, some of them on here "already resent Morrissey" as you say, but not all of us do: we are simply compelled to watch as a beloved artist/idol continues on an apparently endless spiral of career destruction. I take no pleasure from this. It makes me sad.

Re the 1% who bought tickets: so they shouldn't blame Morrissey at all, in your view?

Aren't we all here for the same reason, really? Filling time?

How many of those "deeply personal" lyrics were actually taken from a Shelagh Delaney play or an Elizabeth Smart book?

At risk of going off topic... Elizabeth Smart's life and love life with George Barker was all hectic and tumultuous, and if Mozzer was short of ideas he could pinch a few scenes and images from The Arms Of The Infinite by Christopher Barker, who was one of their children.

if @gashonthenail is just filling time? Why choose solo? There’s got to be a reason for choosing solo, so it’s more than just ‘filling time’.
Because we’re a group of people with a common interest. It really is as simple as that.
The key is, most of us also have other interests. If Morrissey is all you have in your life, then maybe you see this place differently. But if that applies to you (not you ZFG, just a general you), please understand that that’s weird.

And there's the <0.05% - it's NEVER Morrissey's fault and he can do no wrong. People shouldn't feel free to express themselves here because it doesn't line up with my views.

His money has enabled him to surround himself with yes-men. "Great idea, Moz".

Nobody, including tour managers and guitarists, can say to him that what he's doing is a bad idea because he's paying them to agree with him, and in this cloistered bubble, his world turns to shit, because nobody tells him it's all going to shit, and they can't understand why people are not paying to see him or buy his records anymore.

That's why he is where he is now. Because he thinks he's right all the time. And one of the reasons he thinks he's right all the time is because no-one's telling him he's wrong.

And look where it's got him.

I think we're at the stage right now where any apology would seem cynical, in the same way he gave money to Love Music Hate Racism. It's a calculated business decision.

All musicians ride the sine wave of popularity - the dizzying steep climb, the period at the summit, and, inevitably, the roller-coaster back down. I'm not particularly sad that he's become unpopular because he's said an awful lot of stuff I find abhorrent - it's the fact that thousands and thousands and thousands of others said "Ok, that's enough" and walked off. He's had the right to say and do what he wants, but what he says and does have consequences for where he thinks he's entitled to belong - eternally at the top of the tree.

Well, it's over, and I'm struggling to see a way back, other than the one thing that everyone wants, would catapult him back into the stratosphere, and make him a ton of money. I guess we'll have to wait to see how stubborn he and Johnny are at this point. Because Johnny certainly doesn't need it right now.
Ever since Moz and the lads formed the band in 91, his audience has always diminished what is the 'current set up'. We've always looked back to the golden era. The band (91-95) were always criticised for not being strong enough on stage. Even though 92 onwards was pretty damn ace. The songs they were writing were condemned for not being The Smiths. They either didn't sound like The Smiths or sounded too much like The Smiths. Of course we all know they were fabulous, but then as the band members eventually left, and were replaced with new members, the critics forgot about The Smiths, and looked back rosily towards The Lads and condemned the newer players. It is all a bit nonsensical really. But maybe, finally, he's just realised this new line up is not connecting with the audience, and finally he does need to look back (not being nostalgic I hasten to add) but recognising the popularity of Moz with Boz, Alain, Gary and Spencer. Sorry Jesse, but for some reason you've never been fully immersed within the audience's appreciation radar. We all realise The Smiths is Dead (sob, still), but the lads are up and running and playing some great music. If only they had that singer called Morrissey behind the mic, I think audiences would come rushing. When Alain returned to play on stage with Morrissey, the reaction he got was so strong. The audience loved having him back in the fold. Whatever has got in the way can be rectified. The band needs to play. Those songs need to be sung. Let's hear them done properly. Now my heart is full.

Back
Top Bottom