Both Quarry anniversary events cancelled (January 25, 2024)

Tomorrow's show in Anaheim is canceled according to Ticketmaster :(

LA show is still on for now...

Posted by SOSB:

27th is cancelled as per Kia Forum twitter.

Links posted by Famous when dead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask myself why I'm so invested in this in the first place??I'm on the other side of the world and had no intention of going to these shows. But what is it about Morrissey that makes an otherwise rational and fulfilled person(me :ROFLMAO:) turn into an obsessive ? This has ruined my day, my family thinks I'm crazy.
I'm exactly the same, invested but no intention of going to those shows. I follow his career like it was my favourite football team.

Do we think the shows in South America will go ahead? Will he play songs from Quarry or switch it up a bit?
Or will there be a bonfire of tour dates?
At a guess, at least 2 band members could leave to continue with already successful ventures with their own bands. Brendan could easily job elsewhere too. So I'd predict changes in that department before anything else comes to fruition.
Regards,
FWD.

If a Morrissey gig is down the street then buy tickets and go see him, the setlist is a little drab, but his voice is in top form, and the band is good enough to enjoy the show. But if you purchase airline tickets and a hotel room or must travel any distance to see a Morrisey concert that he will cancel on the dime you need your head examined.
Admirably put at this stage of the game.

I have to wonder if the lackluster ticket sales for the Quarry shows stemmed in part from an awareness of the recent cancelations. I.e., people who would have been flying into So Cal primarily for the show got cold feet.

Admirably put at this stage of the game.

I have to wonder if the lackluster ticket sales for the Quarry shows stemmed in part from an awareness of the recent cancelations. I.e., people who would have been flying into So Cal primarily for the show got cold feet.

yes, that’s a possibility. I hope he’s alright, but at the same time, I hope this is a wake-up call for him.

His band won’t be fine.

Absolutely. At the end of the day, they are employees of Morrissey, who work for money. If there are no shows to be played, alongside a lack of album releases, there's no money to be made for them. Inevitably, they'll abandon Morrissey and look for work elsewhere, work they'll actually get paid for. Seen it happen with a few bands over the years where they tour sporadically, and not frequently enough for the backing musicians to make money.

Poor honey. Good thing this site has an open door policy so that so many people who were never going to these shows in the first place can all congregate to continue to pollute the internet ether with their contributions of abject nothingness. We’re just missing a few additional stragglers who haven’t been to a show at all in 20 or 30 years, but who are still here all days of their lives. We already have a few.
I would like to go though! My current mind set is that I really will have missed out if I die never having seen Morrissey live - I can't explain how I didn't discover him till six months ago.

Consequently I'm thinking about concerts I've been to and whether my life would have been worse if I hadn't gone. (Nothing stands out, and I think the times I saw Split Enz were the closest).

It does surprise me that no apology or convincing explanation is offered for the cancellations, given the time and effort fans have put into attending. Could it be that a truthful explanation would be too personal and complicated and that giving a simple explanation would be trite, inaccurate and insulting to fans?

Who was it who said all those things about Waters and Farage? Who was it that decried the lack of English on the streets of London? Who was it who suggested victims of sexual assault knew what they were doing? All this and more. Was it someone else who said all those things? Who was it who cancelled multiple shows for bullshit reasons? Was it someone else?

Do you think people should face up to the consequence of their actions or not?

His one-time fan-base have voted with their wallets. And he has no one else to blame.

His policy - never explain, never apologise. And just looks where it's led him. To oblivion.
How come Nerak never challenges UncleSkinny (who, for once, is speaking sense here)?

This is the beginning of the end for MOZI’s career. I’m 700% certain. He had a good innings. 65 is a good age to retire, squander his millions and get absolutely smashed on voddy 5 nights a week.

I would like to go though! My current mind set is that I really will have missed out if I die never having seen Morrissey live - I can't explain how I didn't discover him till six months ago.

Consequently I'm thinking about concerts I've been to and whether my life would have been worse if I hadn't gone. (Nothing stands out, and I think the times I saw Split Enz were the closest).

It does surprise me that no apology or convincing explanation is offered for the cancellations, given the time and effort fans have put into attending. Could it be that a truthful explanation would be too personal and complicated and that giving a simple explanation would be trite, inaccurate and insulting to fans?
You are the Quarry is nowhere near his best record. If I were introducing Morrissey to someone for the first time, I would send them straight to Bona Drag then I would point them to Viva Hate, and close things out with Your Arsenal. For me even Kill Uncle and for sure Vauxhall is much better than Quarry. Quarry is way down on the list of great Morrissey albums. In fact, I thought Dog on a Chain was much better than Quarry and is one of Morrissey's better records. Why pick such a weak record to perform in the first place and for those that buy airline tickets and book hotels to see a Morrissey concert needs their head examined.

I don't know, but are the costs of canceling a concert greater for the artist than playing for the audience in unsold out venues ? :unsure:
Depends on how the deal is structured with the promoter. As a longtime fan but also a long time concert industry professional, I’m less surprised he canceled and more by the fact that he’s able to get bonded by any reputable tour insurance carrier.

Canceling shows is always a last result because you’re right - it’s much costlier. Generally an artist will postpone shows rather than outright cancel. Many if not most tour insurance deals will not cover a cancellation without a legitimate health issue or AOG.

I was also surprised LN was involved. I have nothing against them whatsoever but even with all their billions, they still have to be reasonably shrewd about their bookings. Given that they took this gamble but did no meaningful advertising or actual promotion of the gigs almost makes it feel like LN viewed these dates not so much as a likely success but a likely tax writeoff.

If a Morrissey gig is down the street then buy tickets and go see him, the setlist is a little drab, but his voice is in top form, and the band is good enough to enjoy the show. But if you purchase airline tickets and a hotel room or must travel any distance to see a Morrisey concert that he will cancel on the dime you need your head examined.
Or leave the cult.

This has done it for me, whatever the outcome of the next weeks.

What's the betting on any of the Mexico and South America shows going ahead? My guess is Mexico City might happen, just to surprise us, and maybe, just maybe, Buenos Aires and either São Paulo or Brasília, but not both - but I would be very surprised if Lima, Bogotá, or Santiago happen. But also wouldn't be surprised if all the dates are cancelled.
I just don’t think that he will have any band members left to tour with. It wouldn’t surprise me if a few band members left to full fill other contracted obligations.
They have bills to pay as well, and surely some of them now must be fed up to the back teeth with all of this constant drama.

How come Nerak never challenges UncleSkinny (who, for once, is speaking sense here)?

This is the beginning of the end for MOZI’s career. I’m 700% certain. He had a good innings. 65 is a good age to retire, squander his millions and get absolutely smashed on voddy 5 nights a week.
He forgot to say "It doesn't get him what he wants".

Well said. There's a theater in my town that's a mile from my house that he's played at before, other than that, why bother?

""When your day is long
And the night, the night is yours alone
When your sure you've had enough
Of this life, hang on."
....."Your not alone", cause we're friends.👍m.m.m.

Back
Top Bottom