Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Media aside. How much arch-conservative American thinking is coming through here? Absolutely no sense for the modern LGBTQ community, celebrating people like Smith. Sam Smith seems to be acting out more and more in his videos. He doesn't do obsessive diets anymore and is 100% himself (love it or not) but Sam and Morrissey only talk about Satanism which is at most a stylistic device because Smith wants to do "forbidden things". And this from someone, who never stood to his own homosexuality and had to call it humasexuality. It pis#@! me off more and more, if that's even possible.
There is no modern LGBTQ 'community'. As the alphabet soup gets bigger and adds more letters and plus signs to the confusion - the L and G bars and clubs have almost all closed down. Most lesbians and gay men I know are ashamed of the current trans ideology being pushed in their name, and the obvious misogyny driving it. Even many brave trans people have spoken out against self ID and health services joking that 'there won't be any gay kids left'. Smith aint no hero.

Wow, just WOW! Sam Smith shifts units, Morrissey er doesn't.

Sam Smith attracts a myriad of publicity for whatever it is they were wearing the other day, Morrissey only gets publicity for sounding like a demented drunk reactionary uncle at a wedding.

And throwing tropes around like there's an Illuminati conspiracy is all rather old hat isn't it? Even if they are included in inverted commas.

Must try harder.

What seems clear from all this mess is that BOT is dead for the foreseeable. Capitol aren't going to release it - and the licensing agreement that they have decided not to honour (for reasons unknown) will almost certainly not expire for several years. No UK label will touch BOT with a barge pole.
The only option now is to record WMTWD and start promoting the new album of fresh material and see if anyone wants to license it. Or self release it, of course.
BOT may rise from the dead at some point in the future, who knows?

There is no modern LGBTQ 'community'. As the alphabet soup gets bigger and adds more letters and plus signs to the confusion - the L and G bars and clubs have almost all closed down. Most lesbians and gay men I know are ashamed of the current trans ideology being pushed in their name, and the obvious misogyny driving it. Even many brave trans people have spoken out against self ID and health services joking that 'there won't be any gay kids left'. Smith aint no hero.

You're talking to a straight man here ,whose first brush with playful homosexuality was Morrissey's bare arse with the words "Your Arse anal" (or was it "Your ass n all") scrawled on it and who is trying to explain in simple terms, that Team Morrissey's recent statement is very hillbilly, for a man, who enjoys 70s drag queens as much, as he enjoys burly sailors or guys who act like Liberace's chauffeur. What's next? KEEP SATAN OUT OF CALIFORNIA!

Last edited:
You're talking to a straight man here ,whose first brush with playful homosexuality was Morrissey's bare arse with the words "Your Arse anal" (or was it "Your ass n all") scrawled on it and who is trying to explain in simple terms, that Team Morrissey's recent statement is very hillbilly, for a man who enjoys 70s drag queens as much, as he enjoys burly sailors.
As others have pointed out though - the statement could be read in various ways. It could be read as - well done to Capitol for promoting Sam Smith despite the (silly) accusations of 'satanism'; why won't they do the same for Moz and his 'controversial' material? It shouldn't automatically be read as Moz joins the Bible Belt red necks and religious right. I do agree though that bringing Mr Smith into the conflict with Capitol is just not helpful, however it is read. Is SER the one purposely trying to sabotage BOT?

I have Saint in a Stained Glass Window in my head. It's growing on me, and I hope to hear the whole BOT album. I'm sure Morrissey will fight to get it to us, because I'd bet the songs are growing on him too.

Let’s hope Morrissey’s distaste for big label power plays means he will fight tooth and claw for Bonfire’s release. That’s not to say he isn’t capable of a false move. So far he’s losing, but for all our sakes, let’s hope there is more fight in the old dog.

Let’s hope Morrissey’s distaste for big label power plays means he will fight tooth and claw for Bonfire’s release. That’s not to say he isn’t capable of a false move. So far he’s losing, but for all our sakes, let’s hope there is more fight in the old dog.

Although the BOT songs didn't really hit me, I can appreciate how a lot of you are disappointed it won't see the light of day. I'm just glad Morrissey and the band are still doing what they do and recording new material with Alain Whyte no less.

Just think back along the better part of a decade in this forum of people including me wishing for Alain to be welcomed back into the fold. Yes BOT is dead but we could be on the cusp of one of the best albums Morrissey has ever done. Regardless of the drama I choose to be positive.

I can’t think of anyone who’d be less enthusiastic about bringing in the lawyers.

This current deadlock is the product of many intersecting facts about Morrissey and his current fame. His antipathy towards labels has precedent. He has earned a controversial reputation in a reflexively controversial cultural moment. Morrissey Central is a semi-autonomous media platform that aggravates these controversies.

The victim narrative - Morrissey versus -a soulless, sequestering music label - doesn’t function when Morrissey doesn’t attract much sympathy. I feel for the guy and want his music to be released, but he needs to tread carefully, so as not to sabotage his own best interests. If only his lyrical persona were not so resigned to the inevitability of these ‘glorious defeats’, then I would have more hope.

Art is not a crime, but the crime of not releasing Bonfire is becoming Art - it is a metaphorical condensation of his own war against himself and the forces that wish to silence him. Read in this way, the saga has the quality of necessity, and fits the entire frame of Morrissey’s fantasy of himself as the Romantic creator, who suffers as a kind of duty.

Another part of him wants this album to be released and I hope this wins out in the end. But the whole thing must have an irresistible truth for Moz, so he will have already made peace with it unconsciously.

I wonder if he will continue to play BoF-songs live in three weeks time, or rather new songs that they are recording now.

I wonder if he will continue to play BoF-songs live in three weeks time, or rather new songs that they are recording now.
I'm guessing a mix of both. He'll want to play a few tracks from 'Bonfire', if only to bitch about the record label.

I really hope he does keep playing the BoT songs - some of them are wonderful. My guess is that he *won't* play any from the WMTWD album, but I hope I'm wrong!

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom