Morrissey Central "‘BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS" (June 14, 2023)

'BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS'

unnamed.png

Artist-friendly Capitol Records (Los Angeles) have no plans to release ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ two and a half years after the album was recorded.

unnamed.jpg

Morrissey’s new comment on the situation:

“It’s a clear display of how censorian the music industry has become. It is a new part of the music industry that does not work and that nobody likes. Music should be the primary democracy, as all art should be, and any effort to keep people away from it simply invites deeper discussion. There is no point banning ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ because somebody somewhere might be offended if they heard it. Why waste time on other people’s mental incapacities? And where is Capitol’s support for the kids who were murdered in that Manchester bonfire on 22 May 2017? Although Capitol claims to be a label of ‘diversity’ it is very difficult to see their humanity. If you are only prepared to release music that draws people’s minds away from thinking then you are unfit for any contact with creative people. Songs are literary compositions, and writing music should be an unrestricted open form. It seems to me that Capitol Records cannot observe the possibility that their artists or their potential customers have ever thought. But silencing certain artists achieves nothing, and simply makes the bonfire burn taller and louder. The moral perspective at Capitol Records who is sitting like a hen on an egg on ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is Michelle Jubelirer, who played no small part in removing ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business’ from the shelves in 2014 - determined that it could not sell or be heard. The same creeping culture of censorship at Capitol Records has taken place with ‘Bonfire Of Teenagers’, and the civic structure of Capitol now appears fascist. I still have hope in the music industry, but there are evidently several powerful faces within it that have no honest interest in music … and you follow them into the shadows at your peril.”
MORRISSEY.

unnamed[1].png

(Middle image = Michelle Jubelirer).
FWD.

Media items:

Lol!

The moral perspective at Capitol Records who is sitting like a hen on an egg on ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is Michelle Jubelirer, who played no small part in removing ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business’ from the shelves in 2014 - determined that it could not sell or be heard.

Then why did you sign with them?

As your favorite American president said, "fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."

Is it actually being censored or is this what Morrissey imagines the reason is? I would've thought that the reason for not releasing it as they are unlikely to get a return on their investment after marketing costs are added on?

Maybe if he hadn't left Capital records, it might gave been released by now.

It was his choice to leave and besides it was delayed not cancelled before his departure, which us common when record plants can't keep.up.with demand

Is it actually being censored or is this what Morrissey imagines the reason is? I would've thought that the reason for not releasing it as they are unlikely to get a return on their investment after marketing costs are added on?
It's hard to say since Capitol won't make any statement on it.

I suspect that this is really about the Miley Cyrus/I Am Veronica issue.

When Morrissey was told her label didn't want her on the record he wanted to re-do the vocals ASAP (within days) with a different singer and the logistics were probably difficult to make happen there was pushback from Capitol saying, "We need a couple months or so."

There was a point in time where they were trying to work with him and in lieu of releasing "Veronica" they released Rebels Without Applause (which was recorded in a submarine taking on water which probably cost Capitol a lot of money to arrange).

Morrissey then probably had some unfriendly words for them as they debated when it could get done and at some point they got fed up with him and to spite him they decided not to release the record at all.

They are probably not that interested in censoring the song Bonfire Of Teenagers as much as they are interested in sticking it to him for being a dick. He calls it censorship and blames Capitol because he has never taken the blame for anything that has ever happened in his life.

Anyway.. that's just my opinion.

EDIT: I am still a huge fan of his music and still think his live shows are something special but outside of the music he has not been nearly as interesting as he was 15 years ago. At least we can go back and watch/read old interviews when he was hilarious.

As mentioned above, i've felt for a while now most of this is on Morrissey with bragging about Miley. For whatever reason those accolades, usually only mentioned by M, matter so much to him. James Hetfield of Metallica sings on Danzig's first album but couldn't be credited or acknowledged because he was under contract to Elektra. Had he been credited, Elektra would have filed an injunction. I'm sure Moz feels the Miley fiasco is hogwash and was more than likely intolerable to Capitol's potential legal issues.

The songsI heard at two live shows I attended last year were to be brutally honest, very poor.
Everything about that album I have disliked.
From the art work, the subject matter, hearing them live.
As somebody posted above, forget all about it and just Quickly move on.

Whatever the reasons, its a massive shame this album doesn't look like it will see the light of day.
Hopefully one day it might but for now it looks like it will take on Princes 'Black Album' status and only be heard on dodgy bootlegs.
And im probably alone in thinking 'Rebels without applause' was a great taster, weird production aside.
Never mind.

That is so Trumpian, to call out someone to blame for the Mozbots to jump on. This whole message is very poor form. Like everyone says, move on.

The songsI heard at two live shows I attended last year were to be brutally honest, very poor.
Everything about that album I have disliked.
From the art work, the subject matter, hearing them live.
As somebody posted above, forget all about it and just Quickly move on.
That's just silly. I Live In Oblivion made me tear up when I saw him last year. Obviously taste is subjective but just because YOU dont like it, doesn't mean it should be cast aside. He could just re-record the album and release it ala Taylor Swift.

I don’t know anything about record companies or record deals.

Is it likely that Capitol would sell Bonfire of Teenagers to another company if Morrissey somehow manages to sign a deal for Without Music the World Dies?

Capitol just sitting on an album and not selling it to anyone else to release would be frustrating.

Perhaps they’re waiting for him to die and will release it then, when he’s become flavour of the month again.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom