Morrissey Central "Beethoven U.S.A." (April 25, 2024)

BEETHOVEN U.S.A.

April 25, 2024

1000019151.jpg

Morrissey's 'Beethoven Was Deaf' live recording in Paris 1992 will have its first U.S. release on Friday 26 July on both CD and vinyl. The gatefold LP will be available on black vinyl and also on orange vinyl.
The artwork is new, and the album is pressed on the Sire label. 'Beethoven Was Deaf' was originally released worldwide excluding the U.S.A on 10 May 1993.

Related link:

Last edited by a moderator:
The new cover will probably grow on me, but I'm not sold at the moment. I wasn't sold on the 2013 Kill Uncle and I've kind of come to terms with it now. It doesn't erase my original copy so I'm not too fussed really.

Last edited:
The occasional reunion with former band mates would be really nice, not just Alain, also Boz, Gustavo, Matt, Gary…. We’re not really talking about touring here, just 2 one-off concerts. The likelihood that it will actually happen, is a different matter.
Hopefully Pete Galli will be doing his homework - a bit like this:

I like that the photo isn't posed. It's raw Morrissey.
It’s him at Paris Zenith, but many years after the recording on that album. I was stood at the front that night. I have many photos that look pretty much like this.

Nice job. I was wondering if there was any recording of the Beethoven concert, but I'm guessing not?
Half of the Beethoven album was recorded at the London Astoria. That entire show is doing the rounds as a video bootleg, though this appears to be the only song to have been posted on YouTube.

Nooooooooo! I like to believe their friendship will endure forever. They are my all time dream couple!
Pure speculation on my part, but hope you’re right!
This constant George Lucasing of his back catalogue is baffling to me. This looks like the sort of CD compilation you find in the bargain bin of an all night garage/gas station for our American friends

Yes: I just came across that reference to Alain in Autobiography (page 390) when I was looking to see if Morrissey had anything interesting to say about the Amsterdam concert in 2006 - he doesn't, skipping from the one in Malmõ before to the one in Paris after without even mentioning the Amsterdam one (page 391). I'm going to assume that he has no control over this album re-issue.
I should correct myself here - that was the Amsterdam concert earlier in the year - the December one was between Hamburg and Manchester (page 402) - but again skipped over in Autobiography.

Pure speculation on my part, but hope you’re right!
This constant George Lucasing of his back catalogue is baffling to me. This looks like the sort of CD compilation you find in the bargain bin of an all night garage/gas station for our American friends
"George Lucasing of the back catalog" is a great way to put it. IF there was a need to change the cover other than altering the color of the original (think TQID reissue) - there are so many better pics from the 1992 era to use. I disagree that Morrissey looked his best during this 2006 era.

Last edited:
Morrissey is bereft of ideas, now. It isn't a criticism, he is simply past his best and has been for a very long time. Surely he could retire in comfort by now. I don't understand why anyone is still interested, least of all him.

Morrissey is bereft of ideas, now. It isn't a criticism, he is simply past his best and has been for a very long time. Surely he could retire in comfort by now. I don't understand why anyone is still interested, least of all him.
I suspect, like for way too many of us, his identity is way too closely tied up with his work. If he stops writing songs and stops performing in front of a crowd, I'm not sure he'd have any reason to live.

Back
Top Bottom