Andy Rourke joins Johnny Marr for "How Soon is Now? encore in Brooklyn

Now we just need M to join ...

I wish Girl-Afraid ! Johnny gives a super intro to Andy ...... so sweet . Very nice rendition. Wonder if Andy had a case of the nerves before hitting that first note ? Crowd loved it !

Last edited:
Rourke and Marr need to get a band together. They obviously get along still and are both legends! I'll keep waiting until it happens. It's more likely than a Smiths reunion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate Johnny's place in history and all his wonderful guitar work but: please Mr.Marr - don't sing. This footage is nice but is just as bad as when he sang with skeletor at the NME awards - out of tune would be a nice way of putting it.
Stick to tunes if they avoid Bryan Ferry....
Bletch...
FWD
(No trolling intended - just don't think he can sing - lots must go on in the studio m'thinks).

I was there last night, it was a great show!:D Johnny sounded great and the band was phenomenal! When they played the Smith's songs it sounded just like on the records(vocals excluded). Johnny really held his own vocally though, although he doesn't have a great voice there was never a time it stood out as a weakness.

Johnny was comfortable on stage and very appreciative of the crowd, who were very enthusiastic. At first he was wearing a shirt buttoned all the way up and a blazer (he was sweating like crazy, of course) When he took off the jacket and unbuttoned his top button the crowd was cheering and yelping. It was funny, he was very modest, it was hardly a Morrisseyesque shirt fling move:p At one point a guy shouted "Johnny f***ing Marr" (which is what the official merchandise tshirts say, btw) the crowd went crazy! Johnny had a big smile on his face and said "thank you for that mate". Johnny was effortlessly cool throughout the night:cool:

When Andy came on the crowd went wild. I know it sounds silly but it was a bit surreal seeing them both on stage together, more than I would have thought. As someone who never saw the Smiths, this just felt so right:)

Well something must have gone very wrong at the NME awards then because his vocal there is awful.
I guess to each their own but as someone who went to lots of Smiths gigs, I know who I'd rather hear sing those words.
I've seen Johnny play many times and never found the vocals any good.
IMHO - his assisting others with tunes is his strength.
His work with PSBs or Electronic being good examples.
I think the novelty of half a band raised an average performance to one that got lots of cheers. Still don't think he can sing!
Stay handsome,
FWD

I appreciate Johnny's place in history and all his wonderful guitar work but: please Mr.Marr - don't sing. This footage is nice but is just as bad as when he sang with skeletor at the NME awards - out of tune would be a nice way of putting it.
Stick to tunes if they avoid Bryan Ferry....
Bletch...
FWD
(No trolling intended - just don't think he can sing - lots must go on in the studio m'thinks).

When he sings his own songs live it goes pretty good I think. When he tries a Smiths tune it doesn't. Still nice to hear those songs played with a level of quality that none of Morrissey's groups have ever managed to get near.

I wish Girl-Afraid ! Johnny gives a super intro to Andy ...... so sweet . Very nice rendition. Wonder if Andy had a case of the nerves before hitting that first note ? Crowd loved it !
I didn't know Andy Rourke still played bass. Good to know he is still out there playing bass and not working in a burger van in Bolton. Rourke looks so different then he did in The Smiths days. I didn't believe it was really him at first he looks quite bloated and old and his hair looks like it needs cutting. I guess Rourke doesn't have much money for the hairdressers poor guy. Johnny Marr still looks great he seems so sweet apart from the swearing thing.

Does anyone know if Johnny Marr and the band had been drinking alcohol before they went on stage? I heard Andy Rourke is quite a big drinker.

Bernard Butler and John Squire remind me of Johnny Marr. The Gallagher brothers Noel and Liam really based their whole act on Johnny Marr.

Until Morrissey's on stage with them it ain't the Smiths. It's the Miths.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom