How Soon Is Now? + New MBV 'new you' Similarity?

Why do they bother making records. Who the f*** cares. They are a band with a legacy hinged on one semi-memorable song. I seriously do not understand and never have understood and never will understand the love that this band gets almost across the board.

Ha... no, not similar at all. Echoing what applebuttaz said.

Why do they bother making records. Who the f*** cares. They are a band with a legacy hinged on one semi-memorable song. I seriously do not understand and never have understood and never will understand the love that this band gets almost across the board.

What song is that? I think they are more popular for the album Loveless than for any one song. Was it something on a soundtrack or what?

Personally, I am a pretty big MBV fan, but I can't stand the cult surrounding Loveless, much less the fact that people just totally ignore MBV's other output (namely EP's and the unjustly-overlooked "Isn't Anything")... I even like their corny Goth-tinged Garage and ultra-Twee, noisy Indie-Pop records from the 80's. As for "m b v", it's a thoroughly "alright" album. I've kept my expectations at a rational level and ended up liking it pretty well.

At least it's not Oasis.

...The first 19 seconds or so reminded me somehow of "Massachuesetts" ( ...Or however it's spelled..) By the Bee Gees, if that's any help..:blushing:

What song is that? I think they are more popular for the album Loveless than for any one song. Was it something on a soundtrack or what?

Personally, I am a pretty big MBV fan, but I can't stand the cult surrounding Loveless, much less the fact that people just totally ignore MBV's other output (namely EP's and the unjustly-overlooked "Isn't Anything")... I even like their corny Goth-tinged Garage and ultra-Twee, noisy Indie-Pop records from the 80's. As for "m b v", it's a thoroughly "alright" album. I've kept my expectations at a rational level and ended up liking it pretty well.

At least it's not Oasis.

Skylarker is probably on about 'Soon'.

I did pick up on the similarity between the trem effect from How Soon Is Now and New You a little. I was at Brixton when the song was first played a couple of weeks back and with the guitars being picked up a lot more live than on record, it did make me think of HSIN for about 2 seconds.

And I agree wholeheartedly about the media fandom over Loveless. It does them such a disservice and critics are already reviewing m b v in comparison to Loveless, when m b v is quite subversive of Loveless in many ways. I actually prefer Isn't Anything to Loveless and like you said, Strawberry Wine and all that jazz is f***ing great. Though I'm not massively keen on the Conway era.

The Smiths and Morrissey are good too.

It's some trendy hipster bullshit, but I have to admit, they are sort of a guilty pleasure. Highly derivative, but also quite infectious.

At least it's not Oasis.

That Only Shallow song.

That's because MBV are majestically incomprehensible, so it's unsurprising to all that you fail to see their relevance. Aren't you the same guy who once said the Gaslight Anthem were the best band going today? That says pretty much everything about you. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom