Morrissey Central "A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE MUSIC IS OURS" (April 19, 2024)

c4409c14d2e0c1a75462b212cf1845a1d9b6d4d9.jpg

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

1B2BFCEC-20AA-4738-B5DC-F134BF1C8207.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean. Notre Dame is a catchy, funky pop tune that beats anything on Never Let Me Down, which is undoubtedly Bowie's worst album. I would love to hear Notre Dame on the radio - although it would probably cause some cars to veer off the road and crash. May have to be played with a 'listening discretion is advised' notice.
As for 'conspiracy' theories - some of Bowie's cocaine-fuelled theories about the Nazis, black magic, the Kabbalah, Aleister Crowley, Nietzsche, and the superman, make Notre Dame seem positively tame.
Not when it comes to lyrics.

Sadly, Morrissey doesn’t need cocaine to lose himself in bonkers conspiracy theories.

As for 'conspiracy' theories - some of Bowie's cocaine-fuelled theories about the Nazis, black magic, the Kabbalah, Aleister Crowley, Nietzsche, and the superman, make Notre Dame seem positively tame.

And yet, Quicksand, which is arguably Bowie most indulging his Crowley-&-Nietzsche preoccupation, is one of his very best songs in my opinion. Light years better than Notre-Dame. In fact I would say his The Man Who Sold the World/Hunky Dory period is his best—aesthetics and lyrics for sure, and maybe even music.

And yet, Quicksand, which is arguably Bowie most indulging his Crowley-&-Nietzsche preoccupation, is one of his very best songs in my opinion. Light years better than Notre-Dame. In fact I would say his The Man Who Sold the World/Hunky Dory period is his best—aesthetics and lyrics for sure, and maybe even music.
Yes, I'm with you on that. Man Who Sold the World and Hunky Dory definitely Bowie at his best. Although I do also love Station to Station. Dripping with occult pre-occupations, of course, as is Black Star.
I referenced those pre-occupations of Bowie to demonstrate that Notre Dame really isn't that shocking as 'rock star' pre-occupations go. And musically, and 'credibility' wise, Morrissey has never become Bowie circa Tonight or Never Let Me Down.

Not when it comes to lyrics.

Sadly, Morrissey doesn’t need cocaine to lose himself in bonkers conspiracy theories.
Depends what you mean by 'bonkers'.
Some people might argue that pop stars promoting the bodily mutilation of children in the name of gender ideology is pretty 'bonkers'. It's all relative.
Ultimately Notre Dame invites people to question the mainstream narrative. That is a good thing. Not a bad thing.

Depends what you mean by 'bonkers'.
Some people might argue that pop stars promoting the bodily mutilation of children in the name of gender ideology is pretty 'bonkers'. It's all relative.
Ultimately Notre Dame invites people to question the mainstream narrative. That is a good thing. Not a bad thing.
There are songs about bodily mutilation? Sounds awful.

Yes, I know you as well think it’s a conspiracy. But no, I don’t think it’s necessary to question the “mainstream narrative”, because the fire was ruled an accident. Not everything is a conspiracy. Not everything can be blamed on the Muslims or immigration.

Yes, it's cobblers. Which is a shame as the melody had potential to make a lovely song.
The bit I struggled at was that (in the UK), historically 3x A grades was generally the highest a typical A-level candidate could achieve so was often an entry requirement for 'top' universities.
So, if the subject character didn't achieve those grades they wouldn't be at the 'university' in the first place so wouldn't be able to throw themselves down the stairs.
Maybe we should allow for poetic licence as 'Staircase at the sixth form technical college' doesn't scan so well, but the inaccurate narrative kills the song. Maybe the singer was trying to empathetic, but it it falls down on research.
C+. Could do better.
Interesting. I always thought it was about a negative outcome due to the pressure of being a high achiever. She had got the three As following pressure from others and now she was at university the pressure was continuing. I never thought the song meant that she hadn't already passed with three As!

I really really like Kerouac’s Crack, but that’s because I have really really good taste in music.

And I guess you’re not familiar with Bowie’s and Scott’s entire catalog. Do your homework. Plenty of stinkers.
“Do your homework” is such silly thing to say. How often it backfires. Scott Walker is one of my all time biggest favorites. I’m not a big fan of his 70’s albums, but thankfully they’re not riddled with loony conspiracy theories, muddled politics, mere nonsense and/or whatever it is that is going on on LIHS.

There are songs about bodily mutilation? Sounds awful.

Yes, I know you as well think it’s a conspiracy. But no, I don’t think it’s necessary to question the “mainstream narrative”, because the fire was ruled an accident. Not everything is a conspiracy. Not everything can be blamed on the Muslims or immigration.

Isn’t that what The Smiths and Morrissey are also about?

Question and reject and stay true to your own
unique chosen path in life?

Anyway, I think Morrissey is allowed to put out a few songs that are not going to save anyone’s life, in comparison to, and considering how many he has written that have changed and saved lives.

Oh please. Moaning Myrtle is not a fireman or a doctor. He has not saved anyone’s life. He’s not larger than life, he’s just a singer. One with deteriorating talent and output, I might add.

The conspiracy bullshit he has facebooked together over the years makes him look like a fool. Or even worse, it shows what an idiot he deep down truly is. The emporer has no clothes. What a shame it has to end like this.

Oh please. Moaning Myrtle is not a fireman or a doctor. He has not saved anyone’s life. He’s not larger than life, he’s just a singer. One with deteriorating talent and output, I might add.

The conspiracy bullshit he has facebooked together over the years makes him look like a fool. Or even worse, it shows what an idiot he deep down truly is. The emporer has no clothes. What a shame it has to end like this.

Sorry. You’re wrong. And I don’t agree with you, as usual.

Hope all the most miserable posters are all locking themselves inside today! Because no one should have to be exposed to some of these whining and bitter non-achievers. I can’t even imagine being stuck in the negativity that the losers on this site strive toward

not if you apply yourself.

Exactly.

Of course except for ‘Till The Band Comes In and Night Flights. These are wonderful & amazing albums! Please check them out.

Honey, I’ll take nonsensical lunacy over boring unimaginative pop music any day.

:cool:
I’d never call TTBCI wonderful nor amazing. But Thanks for Chicago, Mr James is excellent. Nite Flights is terribly uneven, but it helped spawn Climate of Hunter and so forth, for which I am eternally grateful.

I’d prefer good quality lyrics.

Isn’t that what The Smiths and Morrissey are also about?

Question and reject and stay true to your own
unique chosen path in life?
Thankfully, he wasn’t a conspiracy loon back then. There is a sane way and an insane way to question the mainstream.

Bowie was interested in crazy shit before and after, his 75-76’ period. You really don’t know much about him it seems.

Anyway, I think Morrissey is allowed to put out a few songs that are not going to save anyone’s life, in comparison to, and considering how many he has written that have changed and saved lives.

We may not alway like his slacks, but cut the man some slack. ffs.
Maybe he was? He never once made anything as awful as LIHS, though. Not even Never Let Me Down, boring though it was.

Of course he is. And we are allowed to criticize said songs.

hmmm.

Uneven if you listen to both sides! which you should never have done! Scott wrote the songs on the first side, which are gold.

(y)

I thought the lyrics were pretty decent on ‘Til The Band… and especially Night Flights.

Still think ‘Til The Band… is wonderful and Night Flights (the first side) amazing.
I always do. My second favorite on TTBCI is actually the lovely and schmaltzy ballad towards the end, The Hills of Yesterday. But the album as a whole has never grabbed me in the same way as Scott 1-4, or the masterpieces he made from 1984-2014. And regarding Nite Flights, The Electrician is probably a 9 out of 10, but the album as a whole is uneven. I blame the other “brothers”.

Yes, the lyrics are fine. I wasn’t referring to Scott. You said you preferred nonsensical lunacy over unimaginative pop, to which I replied that I prefer good quality lyrics. I referred to Moz.

I think you mean to say, he’s more aware these days.

Don’t know about that.

But his approach lyrically is different. Not for everyone. Though it never has been.

So are you saying you prefer Never Let Me Down over LIHS ?

Anyway, compared to Bowie’s best, most if not
everything he did from 84’ to 93’ Tin Machine included, is his worst. Sorry to inform you.

When taking a view over Morrissey’s (Smiths included) catalog. I’d say he’s fared much better, in regards to releasing quality work.

No, definitely not.

That’s your opinion and that’s fine.

I prefer Morrissey overall to Bowie. Morrissey has meant the world to me for 20 plus years. So, despite its many and sorrowful flaws, I’d probably take LIHS over NLMD.

Of course!!! But we’re talking about Scott’s work from the 70’s.

Yes, the first half of Nights Flights written by Scott. I only consider the first side amazing and amazingly even.

Morrissey is a loon, always has been. Good quality lunacy continues to pour from him. Never a dull moment when compared to other ‘artist’s’ unimaginative pop offerings and observations on life. We should be grateful.
Yes, I just made a comparison to the Scott albums I like the most.

I disagree. That might have been the case before, but I think the quality has dropped significantly these past ten years or so. And you don’t agree, and that’s fine. There are plenty of excellent artists out there making fantastic music today. Morrissey is not the world.

hmmm. Then I don’t know what you mean when you wrote....
At the end of the day, it’s still Morrissey we’re talking about. That weighs a ton. LIHS, despite being the ugly cousin locked in the cellar, is still a part of his discography and history. Bowie is great, but he’s never meant nearly as much to me as Moz (except for Low).

Yes I agree then, he’s made much better albums than ‘Til The Band Comes In.

Again, I think he’s given us a lot already. As far as I’m concerned, everything after Vauxhall is just an extra bonus. We should be more appreciative and enjoy whatever road he chooses to take.

As far as alternative music goes, I’d also have to disagree with you on the ‘plenty of excellent artists’ today statement.

Though agree 700% .. Morrissey is not the world. Never would make such a claim.
That’s a shame.

Back
Top Bottom