Morrissey Central "‘BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS" (June 14, 2023)

'BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS'

unnamed.png

Artist-friendly Capitol Records (Los Angeles) have no plans to release ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ two and a half years after the album was recorded.

unnamed.jpg

Morrissey’s new comment on the situation:

“It’s a clear display of how censorian the music industry has become. It is a new part of the music industry that does not work and that nobody likes. Music should be the primary democracy, as all art should be, and any effort to keep people away from it simply invites deeper discussion. There is no point banning ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ because somebody somewhere might be offended if they heard it. Why waste time on other people’s mental incapacities? And where is Capitol’s support for the kids who were murdered in that Manchester bonfire on 22 May 2017? Although Capitol claims to be a label of ‘diversity’ it is very difficult to see their humanity. If you are only prepared to release music that draws people’s minds away from thinking then you are unfit for any contact with creative people. Songs are literary compositions, and writing music should be an unrestricted open form. It seems to me that Capitol Records cannot observe the possibility that their artists or their potential customers have ever thought. But silencing certain artists achieves nothing, and simply makes the bonfire burn taller and louder. The moral perspective at Capitol Records who is sitting like a hen on an egg on ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is Michelle Jubelirer, who played no small part in removing ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business’ from the shelves in 2014 - determined that it could not sell or be heard. The same creeping culture of censorship at Capitol Records has taken place with ‘Bonfire Of Teenagers’, and the civic structure of Capitol now appears fascist. I still have hope in the music industry, but there are evidently several powerful faces within it that have no honest interest in music … and you follow them into the shadows at your peril.”
MORRISSEY.

unnamed[1].png

(Middle image = Michelle Jubelirer).
FWD.

Media items:

to stay on topic, if it [was] hold forever that would be awfull, yes we heard about half of the album live at gigs. This crashing bore is buying it inmediately if it's released. Nuff . [heatwave holland]

I don't think Morrissey understands (a) how capitalism works or (b) the times that we're living through right now.

(I mean, a work of fiction by a well-known writer just got indefinitely postponed because it was set in mid-20th century Russia, and people on the internet were so incensed by that that they bombarded it with 1-star reviews, almost a year ahead of its pub date. Someone as provocative as Morrissey has no chance, in that moral climate.)

She is an attorney. Not an artist and certainly not an advocate for artists. It's clear she acquired Bonfire not for its 'art' but as a simple legal maneuver to block its release and thus any chance of bringing the Manchester Arena Bombings back into the cultural conversations (probably as a good will gesture for Ariana Grande, one of Universal Music's Group biggest cash cows).

The one smart thing M did if you recall is that he did not sign over UK rights to Bonfire to Capitol/UMG. I believe the agreement for them was for everywhere BUT the UK. So even if its still legally tied up at Capitol, there's a chance it could be released via a UK label, and available as an import or online only to folks outside of the UK.

I remain optimistic Bonfire will see the light of day sooner than later.
Or she could be responsible for blocking it due to legal issues, like getting Miley's vocals off the album. I have a feeling there's a contract or agreement out there that would enable M to get this back, if he just agreed to some terms.

I don't think Morrissey understands (a) how capitalism works or (b) the times that we're living through right now.

(I mean, a work of fiction by a well-known writer just got indefinitely postponed because it was set in mid-20th century Russia, and people on the internet were so incensed by that that they bombarded it with 1-star reviews, almost a year ahead of its pub date. Someone as provocative as Morrissey has no chance, in that moral climate.)
Nevertheless, with the ‘right’ independent approach there’s also an opportunity in the current climate.

I might use the example of George Galloway: an early casualty of cancel culture who has increased his audience three-fold, by going it alone after Talksport gave him the elbow.

I accept independence is unlikely to translate into more money. But Morrissey’s current contractual situation isn’t exactly economically viable.

But, as has been mentioned, it seems Morrissey is actually happy to pay the price of being a martyr. And I can play along a bit longer, and pretend he’s been cruelly trapped I suppose.

I think it's a blessing in disguise.

It's not the right time.
Question - I do agree with a lot of your takes but do you actually like Morrissey's music or do you only care about his reputation?

Question - I do agree with a lot of your takes but do you actually like Morrissey's music or do you only care about his reputation?

I love his music - which is why I care about his reputation.

His solo work is getting burried - when it should be on best album lists alongside his groundbreaking work in the Smiths.

I love his music - which is why I care about his reputation.

His solo work is getting burried - when it should be on best album lists alongside his groundbreaking work in the Smiths.
Fair enough. It's just that I rarely see you speak about it and I can't understand not wanting his album released because of what some people might think of it. But then, most people on this site seem more concerned with controversy than the actual art. At least you don't actively despise him like most people on solo appear to.

I love Morrissey but it seems he gets more publicity these days from the music he doesn't release than the music he does. I think BOT is a poor song. If the record companies wanted to scupper his career they could just let it and the rest of the album dribble out. We all care passionately but nobody else does. His last album sold 25,000 copies in the UK which wouldn’t make it a massive money spinner. He won’t play their game which is admirable but he’s been trying to stall his own career since Suedehead. He’s a self-obsessed functioning alcoholic who can’t accept he has a fiercely loyal fan base but not much else. He should just enjoy that. The most successful period of his career was around the time of YatQ. He was being interviewed like crazy and popping up on tv shows everywhere. He needs to do that if he ever wants to sell music again.

talking of self releasing,woman in my works son is 17 and in a band called the witts,young boys still in school,they have been invited to play the isle of wight festival and last week pressed 1000 vinyl albums at £32 per copy,if young boys in school can cut their own album then surely M could do the same.
Unfortunately, he won't self release as he won't be able to blame anyone else should it go tits up.

Fair enough. It's just that I rarely see you speak about it and I can't understand not wanting his album released because of what some people might think of it. But then, most people on this site seem more concerned with controversy than the actual art. At least you don't actively despise him like most people on solo appear to.

People won't be reacting to his album - they'll be reacting to the controversy that surrounds it. Another wave of bad reviews & articles could end his touring career, which is all he has left.

He’s a self-obsessed functioning alcoholic who can’t accept he has a fiercely loyal fan base but not much else.
I don’t know if this is true and I don’t think fans could judge it in any case, but it’s sad how much this idea seems to have taken root over the past 10, 15 years. What started out as a good-natured ‘who doesn’t like a pint?’ sort of thing in the Quarry era – a sign of Moz being more confident and sociable and a good thing - seems to have become a lot more engrained, beyond Noel’s funny stories. It seems to be accepted now that Moz doesn’t just drink, he drinks, and it’s the first scapegoat when he acts up on a plane or goes off the deep end in one of his rants. Whatever the truth of it, to me it is a really surprising, unexpected, change. It is hard to imagine someone less likely to be an alcoholic than the Moz of the old days. And it is atrocious for mental health. Ugh.

If you are only prepared to release music that draws people’s minds away from thinking then you are unfit for any contact with creative people. Songs are literary compositions, and writing music should be an unrestricted open form.

What's incorrect about what he says here? He's completely bang on, in my book. Why anyone would side with the music industry rather than the artist is beyond me.

Or she could be responsible for blocking it due to legal issues, like getting Miley's vocals off the album. I have a feeling there's a contract or agreement out there that would enable M to get this back, if he just agreed to some terms.
Yeah, very much possible. Because why would an artist with lots of (negative) experience in the music industry sign a contract where he completely looses all grip on his work? We all didn't get that and it seems to be highly unlikely. Knowing Morrissey's relationship with money and how he thinks he should be treated I can very well imagine that he doesn't want to give in to the contractual conditions (like paying back some money for example) he has to fulfil to get his work back... but of course we don't know that. It's just that the first option would be really weird.

As for his new post, I really don't know. We all thought, the bitching against Capitol was over because of the new album and because he said all those things already. Now picking out a single person isn't exactly ideal either. Why repeat all these things once again? His art is banned, the strange obsession with the word "diversity" (wasn't that originally a thing he blamed BMG for?) etc. It looks like he adds escalation levels to it, with blaming a single person and calling them fascist. The more you ignore me the closer I get. But Capitol just doesn't care.

And yet the "Russophobe" internet mob is right for the wrong reasons, as one less Elizabeth Gilbert book in the world is almost certainly a good thing. You're absolutely on the mark, though—the signs of the times all point to why Morrissey must come around to the idea of self-releasing if he wants to remain as provocative as he thinks he is. A year ago I would've thought he'd see the light eventually, but losing Whyte and touring with Adam Lambert's keyboardist and these ongoing Norma Desmond rants make me wonder if this spiral is getting dire.

I don’t know if this is true and I don’t think fans could judge it in any case, but it’s sad how much this idea seems to have taken root over the past 10, 15 years. What started out as a good-natured ‘who doesn’t like a pint?’ sort of thing in the Quarry era – a sign of Moz being more confident and sociable and a good thing - seems to have become a lot more engrained, beyond Noel’s funny stories. It seems to be accepted now that Moz doesn’t just drink, he drinks, and it’s the first scapegoat when he acts up on a plane or goes off the deep end in one of his rants. Whatever the truth of it, to me it is a really surprising, unexpected, change. It is hard to imagine someone less likely to be an alcoholic than the Moz of the old days. And it is atrocious for mental health. Ugh.

Whatever one thinks of Morrissey, it's also just really bad taste and not very nice to point out that someone may be an alcoholic, with no consideration about what got them to a point. Being an alcoholic isn't a very nice thing, and most alcoholics don't want to live their lives like that, as it is an addiction that they know causes them tremendous amounts of harm. A bit of compassion is a very easy thing to show and it can go a long way.

In addition, we don't even know if Morrissey is an alcoholic, so maybe we shouldn't speculate about it? If he is, just be kind about it.

And yet the "Russophobe" internet mob is right for the wrong reasons, as one less Elizabeth Gilbert book in the world is almost certainly a good thing. You're absolutely on the mark, though—the signs of the times all point to why Morrissey must come around to the idea of self-releasing if he wants to remain as provocative as he thinks he is. A year ago I would've thought he'd see the light eventually, but losing Whyte and touring with Adam Lambert's keyboardist and these ongoing Norma Desmond rants make me wonder if this spiral is getting dire.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That did make me laugh - thank you.

He is warped and sick getting sicker of mind.
Its not that bad - hes probally sick and tried of having his music censored 'I invented cancel culture'

Last edited:
Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom