Unused Album Art

CrookedLittleVein

Duck. Duck. Duck. Goose.
Has anybody got any examples of art for Morrissey or Smiths releases that were never used, or images Morrissey had wanted to use or had shown an interest in but had never quite got round to using?

Cheers.

there's a couple in peepholism. the most obvious one would be the cover for «strangeways...» with harvey keitel (same image later used as backdrop/on tshirts on the first solo tour). there's also a pic of a little boy that was meant to be used on one of the smiths singles, i believe...don't have the book in front of me right now.

there's a couple in peepholism. the most obvious one would be the cover for «strangeways...» with harvey keitel (same image later used as backdrop/on tshirts on the first solo tour). there's also a pic of a little boy that was meant to be used on one of the smiths singles, i believe...don't have the book in front of me right now.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the Diana Dors image used on 'The Singles' was something Morrissey had been intending to use.

Has anybody got any examples of art for Morrissey or Smiths releases that were never used, or images Morrissey had wanted to use or had shown an interest in but had never quite got round to using?

Cheers.

yes i have read an article in an (british) fanzine where the person writing it attended a rough trade auction where there was a couple of notes sold of morrissey requested a certain actor for a cover but was refused quite harshly by RT ...name and quotes from RT and ofmoz explaining why he wanted that actor will be posted tomorrow, must have to find the fanzine again.
i have only heard this very cover of this actor mentioned there
not even in peepholism this was noted .
but peepholism had a site in the book where they listed some unused pictures like ofa little boy.
oh and two actors dancing together for william..can scan it as well if needed.

Last edited:
If you do some poking around on the forums you can find the sleeve that was intended for the Troy Tate-produced debut for the Smiths, entitled "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle." It's a picture we've all seen, true, but still, its what came to mind first when I was reading it. Some things I think were included in a recent Record Magazine article about Smiths' rarities.

Also, we can chalk up that recent Anthony Lui design that was found for "Swords" that apparently is not being used now :rolleyes:

1zqfz4n.jpg

yes i have read an article in an (british) fanzine where the person writing it attended a rough trade auction where there was a couple of notes sold of morrissey requested a certain actor for a cover but was refused quite harshly by RT ...name and quotes from RT and ofmoz explaining why he wanted that actor will be posted tomorrow, must have to find the fanzine again.
but peepholism had a site in the book where they listed some unused pictures like ofa little boy.

Thanks. I'd love to see those scans. :thumb:

This was supposed to be CD 2 of The Youngest Was The Most Loved single, as far as I remember (can't find a bigger version):

youngest.jpg

If you do some poking around on the forums you can find the sleeve that was intended for the Troy Tate-produced debut for the Smiths, entitled "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle." It's a picture we've all seen, true, but still, its what came to mind first when I was reading it. Some things I think were included in a recent Record Magazine article about Smiths' rarities.

That artwork was never meant for the Smiths' debut album. That Record Collector article has many mistakes and misleading information. The artwork in question is one of the Troy Tate bootlegs.

Stephane

That artwork was never meant for the Smiths' debut album. That Record Collector article has many mistakes and misleading information. The artwork in question is one of the Troy Tate bootlegs.

Stephane

Oh, :o
my mistake. Thanks Stephane :)

Stephane

This link was posted by Flax in Orkut's community "Morrissey-Brasil"

If you want more you must ask to him!

www.vulgarpicture.com/recordcollector

Have you read Stephane's post?
He said Record Collector article is full of mistakes and misleading info.

sorry for the delay..first one image he wanted to use which RT refused and been mentioned in a fanzine only(frankly charming again with exclusives, that nice scottlish one which also had a mackie letter exposed there)
eastenderspete-2.jpg

then the peeopholism sites on unused cover art
unusedcoverart003.jpg

since a bit of the site down is missing, the subtitles to the little pics read ,from left to right: 1 jubilee car park. london june 84. 2 sultry summer in a sussex studio, 1986,3 birthday card to morrissey from pat bellis(Rough trade press officer who is also known as photographer jo nowark..who passed away not so long ago:http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/21/169217)

unusedcoverart.jpg

Last edited:
sorry for the delay..first one image he wanted to use which RT refused and been mentioned in a fanzine only(frankly charming again with exclusives, that nice scottlish one which also had a mackie letter exposed there)
eastenderspete-2.jpg

unusedcoverart003.jpg

since a bit of the site down is missing, the subtitles to the little pics read ,from left to right: 1 jubilee car park. london june 84. 2 sultry summer in a sussex studio, 1986,3 birthday card to morrissey from pat bellis(Rough trade press officer who is also known as photographer jo nowark..who passed away not so long ago:http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/21/169217)

unusedcoverart.jpg

Thank you for all your efforts. Greatly appreciated.

eastenderspete-2.jpg

unusedcoverart003.jpg

unusedcoverart.jpg
Thank you sista for your sterling efforts as always.
It should be noted that the fanzine story is a rather over-elaborate 'joke'. It was never the case that 'Pete Beal' the fruit&veg trader off 'EastEnders' was going to grace the cover of 'Bigmouth'. I'm sure it was mildly amusing at the time.:rolleyes:

Tags
unused cover
Back
Top Bottom