Tony Visconti on Morrissey's current recording situation

Well actually, his reticence to sign is not really because he's so "old school" because major record labels have been like that for decades. I think it's more likely that he's just not getting offers from the majors and he thinks he's above D.I.Y. or indie label distribution. But if he were really old school in the way that Visconti is making it seem, he would eschew the majors just on principle; offers or not, and do it himself or with the minors.

I get what Visconti is saying but it's a red herring; it really has nothing to do with why Morrissey isn't recording. The idea that suddenly he is revolted by the ethos of big corporate record labels is gay.

Hey did you hear that, MozRecording? I said it's gay. As in slang for ridiculous, lame, phony, etc. I just wanted to clear up the context before you go running to David again.

Well actually, his reticence to sign is not really because he's so "old school" because major record labels have been like that for decades. I think it's more likely that he's just not getting offers from the majors and he thinks he's above D.I.Y. or indie label distribution.

He recently turned down a recording deal with Sony, so...

It would be nice to see him back with Parlophone.
Cheers Moz

Well actually, his reticence to sign is not really because he's so "old school" because major record labels have been like that for decades.[/QUOTE

really? you're actually gonna poke your pencil neck out and pretend to know better than Visconti on that are you? decades? clearly not.

I agree with Morrissey. f*** record companies! they've always been greedy pigs and they want it all. I don't see why he should give them a single penny from his live performances or other activities.

I agree with Morrissey. f*** record companies! they've always been greedy pigs and they want it all. I don't see why he should give them a single penny from his live performances or other activities.

I agree with Moz to.
I feel exactly the same way as job agency's dishing out work and skimming off a percentage for themselves for doing nothing other than sitting in their lovely warm
offices looking at P Cs and making phone calls. Lazy leaching middle-medling bastards the lot of em. I would rather live of the land in the woods than earn them a percentage of my labour, Aarrrggghhhhhh they make me so kin angry.

I'm glad the interviewer thought to include the inquiry in this piece, and I'm also glad that Visconti is so positively supportive of Morrissey - after all, Moz needs everyone he can get on his side nowadays. Visconti seems like a really nice dude, I feel like he's someone I'd actually like to meet.

Do you think he would like to meet you?

Yeah, because Skylarker knows more about the recording industry than Tony Visconti. HILARIOUS.

It's not a question of knowing more than Visconti. I'm not a mechanic but I know the basics of how a f***ing car works. I don't think the subject of record company politics is that profound, especially when it comes to Morrissey. And it certainly isn't one I care enough to debate outside of a few random observations. I don't really care whether he records again or not...at least not enough to debate the reasons why with some jackass.

Haha loving the way all the bedroom critics on this site are such experts about Music Industry ethics and etiquette. "Tony Visconti? He knows nothing. We know best, as always".

Why did you capitalize "music industry?"

He recently turned down a recording deal with Sony, so...

Oh he did? I didn't know that. OK.

At any rate, I still don't buy Visconti's take on things as the whole story as to why there's no new record. I think that by and large the label interest just isn't there. If I'm wrong and he's turning down offers left and right then fine, I'm wrong, the world still spins.

Morrissey's fickle, he always has been, and in some ways that's a very good thing but I think a lot of people at this point, myself included, would just like to see him reach some kind of a compromise and record again. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. It's not like The Smiths catalog or Your Arsenal will disappear from history if a new deal is never inked. Life will go on.

Do the Oasis or Howard Jones thingy....self produce! Wheeee! xxx Theda Bara's Nephew

Morrissey has no heart.

He is only 'friends' with Visconti because Visconti knows things about Bowie.

i dont want him to sign but i do want to see him. his recent albums are very patchy if we are truthful..2 or 3 decent songf...whj does he have to keep churning out new stuff? he's done his bit...we all love him...we just want to see him...i dont want to have to listen to bollolks he has recorded because he is who he is....he's done his time...most of the new stuff is worthless and just ego. if he cant stay away from the stage that's fine....ill pay but do the stuff we like and dont try and pretend there is new stiff that we have to like. its not. its dull.

i dont want him to sign but i do want to see him. his recent albums are very patchy if we are truthful..2 or 3 decent songf...whj does he have to keep churning out new stuff? he's done his bit...we all love him...we just want to see him...i dont want to have to listen to bollolks he has recorded because he is who he is....he's done his time...most of the new stuff is worthless and just ego. if he cant stay away from the stage that's fine....ill pay but do the stuff we like and dont try and pretend there is new stiff that we have to like. its not. its dull.

I appreciate your speaking on my behalf as a Morrissey fan. And, what's more, so eloquently.

But Morrissey can tour as long as he is healthy and still sell merchandise without a new record.

Exactly. Especially when the general consensus of those who actually go to the shows or witness them online are so over the top about his performances. You're always going to have that small handful of keyboard warriors on each and every band site who think they know the reasons why a musician or band isn't performing up to their ridiculous personal standards. The simple fact of the matter is, Morrissey will do more in a year than most of these keyboard warriors will do in their entire lives, and he knows this. The guy is an anomaly in today's musical landscape. He's honest and straight forward about everything, and for the jealous minority, that's a very bitter pill to swallow. Regardless of what they think is right or wrong, Morrissey will continue to do whatever the hell he pleases as it suits him, and he'll keep making money while retaining his dignity.

That's a tough thing to do in any form of the entertainment business and makes his legacy that much more valid.

Exactly. Especially when the general consensus of those who actually go to the shows or witness them online are so over the top about his performances. You're always going to have that small handful of keyboard warriors on each and every band site who think they know the reasons why a musician or band isn't performing up to their ridiculous personal standards. The simple fact of the matter is, Morrissey will do more in a year than most of these keyboard warriors will do in their entire lives, and he knows this. The guy is an anomaly in today's musical landscape. He's honest and straight forward about everything, and for the jealous minority, that's a very bitter pill to swallow. Regardless of what they think is right or wrong, Morrissey will continue to do whatever the hell he pleases as it suits him, and he'll keep making money while retaining his dignity.

That's a tough thing to do in any form of the entertainment business and makes his legacy that much more valid.

Now if only your opinion could be made valid by your new username, maybe you'd be onto something..."Black."

:lbf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom