The Guardian: Neil Morrissey on Morrissey - "Poor bloke" (March 14, 2024)

In a Guardian interview out today (I think), Neil Morrissey is asked
'Do you find it gratifying that you have had two UK No 1 singles, while Morrissey has had none?'
He replies:
'Poor bloke. I do actually feel gratified. It was a turn in my career I never expected. I ended up vicariously on Top of the Pops, even though it was a Bob animation. But listen, Morrissey is still making music, so he can keep trying.'

Yep, a misunderstanding.
He's just expressing sympathy that he (Neil Morrissey) managed to get a number 1 single before Morrissey did. Also, no attempt to criticise Morrissey for his views as all others do by default these days. And his comment that 'Morrissey is still making music' shows that Neil has at least a casual interest in what Morrissey's up to.
As others have mentioned, Neil Morrissey was a super high-profile actor in the UK back in the 1990s (and to a lesser extent since). He's not my cuppa tea but this is a harmless and vaguely amusing piece.
Ok ok .(y)(y)

Oh please! Like "Mike Rourke" pointed out, he's just jesting with the interviewer. Neil Morrissey clearly knows who his namesake is and knows that Morrissey still releases new music when he finds a record company to do it for him. There's nothing in his comments that is in any way derogatory. As for those who don't know who he is, how about googling if you're interested in him.

Who is Neil Morrissey, is he not known?
For those who missed this dynamic "Chumbawumba for kids" UK and Aussie No 1, Neil on vocals

Steven takes a more passive approach

Bob the Builder had 2 UK number 1s (this and Mambo No 5) from two singles only- not sure anyone else can exceed that perfect streak.

Bob the Builder had 2 UK number 1s (this and Mambo No 5) from two singles only- not sure anyone else can exceed that perfect streak.
Apologies- BTB's singles career plummeted in 2008 with "Big Fish Little Fish" only reaching 81 on the British charts (2 spots above the WPINOYB single). Here is PJ Harvey's memorable cover:

Neil/Bob's discography also attached for the anoraks https://www.discogs.com/artist/152508-Bob-The-Builder?superFilter=Releases&subFilter=Singles+&+EPs

Oh please! Like "Mike Rourke" pointed out, he's just jesting with the interviewer. Neil Morrissey clearly knows who his namesake is and knows that Morrissey still releases new music when he finds a record company to do it for him. There's nothing in his comments that is in any way derogatory. As for those who don't know who he is, how about googling if you're interested in him.
I don't know who he is and I don't care to know. Now I know him but I'm not really going to go to G looking for him

Come on guys, he was brilliant as Tony in Men Behaving Badly. I loved that series!

Back
Top Bottom