Morrissey Central "THE GANG’S ALL GONE FROM DARK TO LIGHT LIKE LOST CHILDREN GO BECAUSE WE MUST DO” (December 30, 2022)

Pele-SS-4.jpg

vivienne-westwood-cultura-punk-collater.al-2-818x1024.jpg

Pele, above
Vivienne Westwood, below
RIP

See Condolences thread for other related comments.
FWD.

Rest in Peace Terry, your passing was to early. His voice was one of a kind. I will miss hearing new music from him.

Agreed. I was sad to read on Neville's Twitter that Terry and Neville had planned new music together for 2023. Something beautiful was lost there, and not just Terry and his voice - a public reconciliation between two men who had more than their fair share of falling outs over the years.

Last edited:
I remember many people noticing Morrissey's sudden love of James Baldwin correlated with the increase in accusations of him being a racist, myself included.

That terrible t-shirt may've coincided with it, but Morrissey was (if his 2014 Autobiography is to be believed) enthralled with Baldwin going back at least to his twenties.

Again, you show a lack of basic reading skills.
Yes, Morrissey does like Madness and would pay tribute if one of theirs died.
No, Morrissey never liked The Specials, and therefore feels no need to pay tribute now.
Clear enough?
You completely leave out the similarity of The Specials to Madness. Where should be the difference, except that the Specials were more political and even more 2 Tone? It was the similar aesthteics and basis. But I guess, that goes too deep for you to question.
A few romanticizing football images of Bobby and bad guy Eric don't make a football fanatic to me. But you're already putting it all together the way you need it. But go ahead, if it satisfies you to keep this undertone. You have to live with some criticism. Whether you like it or not.

You completely leave out the similarity of The Specials to Madness. Where should be the difference, except that the Specials were more political and even more 2 Tone? It was the similar aesthteics and basis. But I guess, that goes too deep for you to question.
A few romanticizing football images of Bobby and bad guy Eric don't make a football fanatic to me. But you're already putting it all together the way you need it. But go ahead, if it satisfies you to keep this undertone. You have to live with some criticism. Whether you like it or not.
The 'political' may give it away? The aesthetics I think were really different.

Munich Air Disaster? And no, I never said he was a football fanatic, just that he liked the sports in his youth, hence the reference for Pele and not Messi, if he died. Did he reference Maradona?

What I dislike about your posts in this thread is that you choose to bitch and moan even when Morrissey is just paying tribute to two icons who died yesterday. Geez, show some basic humanity.

That terrible t-shirt may've coincided with it, but Morrissey was (if his 2014 Autobiography is to be believed) enthralled with Baldwin going back at least to his twenties.

Cheers, Aubrey. Sincere thanks for correcting my mistake.

Hope you have a good New Year btw.

The 'political' may give it away? The aesthetics I think were really different.

Munich Air Disaster? And no, I never said he was a football fanatic, just that he liked the sports in his youth, hence the reference for Pele and not Messi, if he died. Did he reference Maradona?

What I dislike about your posts in this thread is that you choose to bitch and moan even when Morrissey is just paying tribute to two icons who died yesterday. Geez, show some basic humanity.

Indeed. It was 1986 which he references in autobiog..."Nerve deserts me in 1986 as I spot the American writer and social reformer James Baldwin sitting alone in the lobby of a grandiose Barcelona hotel.". Moz would have been 27, or thereabouts at the time.

He wouldn’t recognise Pele if he (Pele), waltzed into the kitchen, nutmegged him and waltzed out again.
“Where’s the bandwagon? And how can I hitch a ride on it?”

He wouldn’t recognise Pele if he (Pele), waltzed into the kitchen, nutmegged him and waltzed out again.
Everyone has jumped on the Pele bandwagon, and have done for years. He was undeniably a good footballer, but he is by no means the greatest, with his self-embellished record and his disregard for those who were in same Brazil squad(s) as him.

Indeed. It was 1986 which he references in autobiog..."Nerve deserts me in 1986 as I spot the American writer and social reformer James Baldwin sitting alone in the lobby of a grandiose Barcelona hotel.". Moz would have been 27, or thereabouts at the time.
Yes, and clearly the young Morrissey peered into his crystal ball and thought - let me admire this great novelist so that in 30 years time I can use it as proof I´m not racist.

Well, given it's already been evidenced in this thread, one of Moz's footballing idols was Bobby Moore - England captain, Pele, another iconic figure, was still playing world cup football in that particular era. There's an iconic picture of Bobby Moore, together with Pele, swapping shirts after their match, Mexico World Cup 1970.
moorepele.JPG

Moz would have been age 11, the World Cup would have been on TV/radio/newspapers throughout the tournament, no-one on Earth would have been immune from any sort of coverage. If you knew the England captain, you would certainly know who Pele was. Your assertion that Moz would have missed all of that, & not have been able to recognise Pele is, frankly, idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:
"My father takes me to see George Best play at Old Trafford, and as I see the apocalyptic disturber of the peace swirl across the pitch, I faint. I am eight years old. Squinting in the sun, it is all too much for me, and I remember my father’s rasp as he dragged my twisted body through the crowd and out into the street, causing him to miss the rest of the match."

Possibly counts as a formative football experience.
FWD.

Godwin´s law? We got there quickly.
Yeah, but for those who don't know, & just to put it in context, (& for the record), so as not to have some rather bad smell emanating re; Pele, & any wrongful accusations of any actual association with Nazis (you know how things can spiral in certain places), this was fiction; a film: Escape to Victory (stylized as Victory) is a 1981 American-British-Italian[6] sports war film directed by John Huston and starring Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Max von Sydow and Pelé. The film is about Allied prisoners of war who are interned in a German prison camp during the Second World War who play an exhibition match of football against a German team.

That's from the movie Victory, excellent movie.
Escape to Victory. Entertaining at times but fairly average as wartime movies go.
I think the pic was trying to imply something about Chelsea fans. Not that funny though. And I´m not a Chelsea fan.

Exactly! We are, amazingly allowed to care about different people, for personal reasons.

Out of Pele, Vivienne Westwood and Terry Hall I can happily say that none of them meant anything to me - my loss, I'm sure, but there we are.
Everyone is different. I have to say my Ghost Town 12" with Why/Friday Night, Saturday Morning as b-sides is one of my prized records. The emotion and melody of Terry's voice is mesmerising. I played it when I heard of his untimely death and couldn't believe he's gone. The voice of an angel. A smart and funny lyricist too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom