Speculation - new album recording in January 2024?

But that's what all artists become in the end, whether they try to push forward or not. They have a moment in time. Bowie was a rare breed to be able to evolve so much and I can see how Nick Cave did as well, and some of Gregor's other examples. But Soft Cell? It's been 40 years, I forgot they even existed. Tears for Fears fell off the map in about 1990. Those artists had their day and to still be around, even touring the nostalgia circuit, is quite something.

Moz, well - I do believe he has one last great album yet to come and I was so excited for Bonfire when it was first announced. I loved some of the Dog songs like "Once I Saw The River Clean" and "...Hurling Days" because they showed self-reflection and maturity. So many of Morrissey's songs aren't like that, though. So often he just recycles the same themes over and over, until every song sounds like a diluted version of one you've heard before. He is really the ultimate 'eternal teenager' in terms of his themes and obsessions and I can't say I'm hungry for 20 more years of that.

Let’s not forget that the listener may grow, and their/our needs may change. Should we expect the artist that once so greatly served a purpose, grow and change with us? Facts are, that’s not for us to change, and we need to accept what we can and can’t control in all areas of life, in our relationships with people and the world at large.

Let’s not forget that the listener grows, and their/our needs may change. Should we expect the artist that once so greatly served a purpose, grow and change with us? Facts are, that’s not for us to change, and we need to accept what we can’t control in all areas of life, in our relationships with people and the
world.
Of course their needs change, their lives change - that's why people often leave behind the bands they adored as teenagers, it's the whole"Rubber Ring" thing isn't it. Don't forget the songs that saved your life.
But to hold on to popularity and fans and success for decades without changing at all, that's rare for any artist.
And I'm not trying to change or control anything in saying that, it's just the case.

Of course their needs change, their lives change - that's why people often leave behind the bands they adored as teenagers, it's the whole"Rubber Ring" thing isn't it. Don't forget the songs that saved your life.
But to hold on to popularity and fans and success for decades without changing at all, that's rare for any artist.
And I'm not trying to change or control anything in saying that, it's just the case.

Ah ok. Yes. From interviews I always got the impression that Morrissey feels that he doesn’t need to change, of course as we can see that that comes at a cost especially if he still expects the same success that he’s experienced in the past.

Not that my post was so much directed at you, was speaking more in general, in order to add some kind of balance to the usual … what we think M should and should not do, and discussions on what are perceived as only Morrissey’s fault, without taking into account the importance of what the listener/fan may want or need in comparison to what they once needed.

Moaning Myrtle needs to take more time to record his albums. Half his songs sound like unfinished demo’s. Lyrically they don’t add up and musically? Smiler with knife for example. What a mess that song is. Or Israel, which doesn’t make any sense lyrically. All the young people? The list of crappy demo versions is endless.

He only takes a month to record an album. It’s all half assed slapped together. Put some effort into it, Moaning Myrtle. Or just retire.

In the end, totally subjective.

And maybe some people need to retire from being fans, retire from being interested in an artist that they clearly no longer like. I don’t understand what they get out of continuing to do so.

In the end, totally subjective.

And maybe some people need to retire from being fans, retire from being interested in an artist that they clearly no longer like. I don’t understand what they get out of continuing to do so.

I’m gonna stick around to see how it all ends. It won’t be long now. He has burned some many bridges that the air is filled with a thick black smoke…

Heard paralell but different: heard pretty reliable speculation that Boz and Alain may be be rejoining for a few East Coast (US) gigs in early 2024. This was from a club manager who had hands in the Boston area scene for many years in the 80's (Spit, The Channel, the Rat). This guy said he expects a few 30th anniversary dates of Vauxhall in entirety with the album's original guitarists joining Jesse and Brendan. If true? Would sell out the Orpheum in a second in Boston.

Idk how true it is. The guy correctly predicted the return to touring of Blink 182, but failed on a Kinks (at least a Ray and Dave) reunion gig.

Ah ok. Yes. From interviews I always got the impression that Morrissey feels that he doesn’t need to change, of course as we can see that that comes at a cost especially if he still expects the same success that he’s experienced in the past.

Not that my post was so much directed at you, was speaking more in general, in order to add some kind of balance to the usual … what we think M should and should not do, and discussions on what are perceived as only Morrissey’s fault, without taking into account the importance of what the listener/fan may want or need in comparison to what they once needed.

I think most people would agree he should just get on with life and do what he wants to do but he then needs to accept the consequence of that approach and stop moaning when things don't play out as he expected.

I think most people would agree he should just get on with life and do what he wants to do but he then needs to accept the consequence of that approach and stop moaning when things don't play out as he expected.

Or, people could simply stop moaning when Morrissey does what Morrissey does.

I think that’s far more realistic and something that is entirely in our control, or do you believe we can control what Morrissey does?

Heard paralell but different: heard pretty reliable speculation that Boz and Alain may be be rejoining for a few East Coast (US) gigs in early 2024. This was from a club manager who had hands in the Boston area scene for many years in the 80's (Spit, The Channel, the Rat). This guy said he expects a few 30th anniversary dates of Vauxhall in entirety with the album's original guitarists joining Jesse and Brendan. If true? Would sell out the Orpheum in a second in Boston.

Idk how true it is. The guy correctly predicted the return to touring of Blink 182, but failed on a Kinks (at least a Ray and Dave) reunion gig.
You had me until you mentioned Tobias
But doing the album in its entirety would be a seller, if he actually turns up that is.
Talking of albums in their entirety, P Drake and his Viva Moz chums will be doing Quarry in its entirety. Be sure to be quick getting tickets for these dates as they’ll be flying off the shelves 😮‍💨

Pure speculation, but there's a nice gap in the touring schedule between Aukland (December 14th) and Mexico (Feb 3rd). Does anyone think Morrissey might take the new band into the studio to record a new LP in January?

Who would people like to see as the producer - Chiccarelli again, or someone else? What kind of direction would folks like to see for the next studio record?
I love your optimism, but what exactly would be the point?

Man

Idk how true it is. The guy correctly predicted the return to touring of Blink 182, but failed on a Kinks (at least a Ray and Dave) reunion gig
Man, don't get my hopes up like that. That would be a dream come true.

Until he dies and then we might a few albums to listen to. I think he should keep recording while he can.
Unfortunately Morrissey's death is possibly the only way any of his unreleased music will get out of its box once he's dropped in his. The record companies will cash in to the max!

Or, people could simply stop moaning when Morrissey does what Morrissey does.

I think that’s far more realistic and something that is entirely in our control, or do you believe we can control what Morrissey does?

The only person/people who can control what they do is themselves.

The only person/people who can control what they do is themselves.

Yes exactly. That is my point. We can’t control what Morrissey does, but we can control our reactions.

Inner peace is entirely in our control.

Back
Top Bottom