Speculation - new album recording in January 2024?

What’s the point in yet another album being recorded for none of us to hear????
Morrissey is 64 years old, and his voice is only going to hold up for so long before age starts to take it's toll. If he waits until both 'Bonfire' and 'Without Music' get released before he starts recording the next one, he might be in his mid-70's and sounding like Leonard Cohen eating a bag of gravel. Might as well stock up on material whilst the vocal chords are still strong. We'll hear all this stuff eventually (even if it's only posthumously). And at worse, we'll have a few more new songs to hear live on tour.

Which producer should be next is a tricky question. I do think Chiccarelli has worked sonic wonders with the often sub-par material he's been given, but it might be time for a change. What's frustrating is the Andrew Watt situation - he's the hottest thing at the moment, and his work on the new Rolling Stones material I've heard has been fantastic - yet 'Rebels Without Applause' sounded appalling. I don't understand what happenned there.

Who would he be recording another album for? I'm still devastated and depressed that not only am I unable to purchase and enjoy at will the last two works that have long ago been completed, but I am further tortured by the fact that no one has had the means or the decency to leak the damn music for die hard fans like me (and possibly you) for whom Morrissey is by far their favorite singer and songwriter. In truth, I am becoming increasingly uninterested in hearing any new music except for Morrissey's. (Yes, I realize how pathetic I am but I am simply being honest. Sadly my depression keeps me from enjoying many of the things I used to find pleasure in.)

Anyway, if Moz won't self release and can find no one to release his albums for him, then why continue to record other than to amass a huge discography of unheard albums for an unknown date and/or occasion up ahead in the distant future when we are all extremely elderly, suffering from dementia, or dead?

Wow, I am really in a rare mood tonight. I better stop typing and seriously get some much needed rest. I'll probably regret all the posting I did tonight when I wake up and see it all tomorrow. I'll probably die of embarrassment when I read what I have written.

Yeah, I'll shut up now. Excuse me. It's just one of those nights I guess.

Who would he be recording another album for? I'm still devastated and depressed that not only am I unable to purchase and enjoy at will the last two works that have long ago been completed, but I am further tortured by the fact that no one has had the means or the decency to leak the damn music for die hard fans like me (and possibly you) for whom Morrissey is by far their favorite singer and songwriter. In truth, I am becoming increasingly uninterested in hearing any new music except for Morrissey's. (Yes, I realize how pathetic I am but I am simply being honest. Sadly my depression keeps me from enjoying many of the things I used to find pleasure in.)

Anyway, if Moz won't self release and can find no one to release his albums for him, then why continue to record other than to amass a huge discography of unheard albums for an unknown date and/or occasion up ahead in the distant future when we are all extremely elderly, suffering from dementia, or dead?

Wow, I am really in a rare mood tonight. I better stop typing and seriously get some much needed rest. I'll probably regret all the posting I did tonight when I wake up and see it all tomorrow. I'll probably die of embarrassment when I read what I have written.

Yeah, I'll shut up now. Excuse me. It's just one of those nights I guess.
You did some interesting writing here and in the Atlanta, Georgia concert thread just now. I think it’s good.

As others have said, it is worth it for him to keep recording albums if he has the songs. His voice is still fantastic and it won't last forever. And he could of course just die and leave that music unrecorded.
Plus if he begins to accumulate an absurd amount of unreleased records it might force him to self release lol.

A brilliant start to the new year - recording new music.

Record deals are made because of the talent - not often vice versa
they bring some security blah de blah, but do not guarantee inspiration.
- a key part of the artists magic, best concocted during the holidays with smashing band? -perhaps.

Morrissey does not have to stifle himself (and us) because two albums got stifled
further to @smiler take, making fresh music also makes him a more sign-able prospect
which may (or may not) lead to a release of past captives.

where i see no point - is in stagnating.

Producer - he has mentioned availability playing a key role in the past.
Direction - anything (un)explored on his list of 'appealing' things - i imagine.
if we are lucky, some non-music projects, post-tour - poetry, filmmaking, new acts, plays etc
I would love to see these, if His Mozzesty will not feel naked or worse, diluted.

we may need some fairy dust to tease out of his comfort zone, our Morrissey.

Wherever his creative spirit leads, I doubt I will be disappointed.

It feels like List of the Lost was prophetic. It’s the perfect title to start listing these missing releases.

List Of The Lost:

- BOT
- WMTWD
- Morrissey’s credibility

I don’t understand this desire for Moz to be endlessly prolific and commit his every thought and rumination to tape continuously until he is dead. Why? So many artists go on and on like that, bloating their back catalogues with 30 or 40 half-arsed albums when the ones that people remember and care about will always be the same 4 or 5.

Recording like that is just born out of boredom - and because the only people who buy it are the diehards and completists, quality control doesn’t matter. That goes for Elton, McCartney, Dylan, Simon, a ton of others who don’t know when to quit – and Moz, if dreck like Kerouac’s Crack is anything to go by. Morrissey’s album sales are in the floor, he has never been less viable as a music artist than he is now and to continue recording in that knowledge would just be stupid. A better approach in my mind would be to combine the very, very best bits of Bonfire and Without Music, cull the filler and release one strong album with a brand new single that he hasn’t played live. Releasing three forgotten albums that sell about 6,000 each is a waste of time.

I don’t understand this desire for Moz to be endlessly prolific and commit his every thought and rumination to tape continuously until he is dead. Why? So many artists go on and on like that, building up back catalogues of 30 or 40 half-arsed, going-through-the-motions albums and yet the ones that people remember and care about will always be the same 4 or 5.

Recording like that is just born out of boredom - and because the only people who buy it are the diehards and completists, quality control doesn’t matter. That goes for Elton, McCartney, Dylan, Simon, a ton of others who don’t know when to quit – and Moz, if dreck like Kerouac’s Crack is anything to go by. Morrissey’s album sales are in the floor, he has never been less viable as a music artist than he is now and to continue recording in that knowledge would just be stupid. A better approach in my mind would be to combine the very, very best bits of Bonfire and Without Music, cull the filler and release one strong album with a brand new single that he hasn’t played live. Releasing three forgotten albums that sell about 6,000 each is a waste of time.
I still like new Bob Dylan music, but I get your point.

I don’t understand this desire for Moz to be endlessly prolific and commit his every thought and rumination to tape continuously until he is dead. Why? So many artists go on and on like that, bloating their back catalogues with 30 or 40 half-arsed albums when the ones that people remember and care about will always be the same 4 or 5.

Regardless of what an artist’s public might think. Like most occupations/callings, it’s difficult to break away from what one has strongly identified with for so long. It’s driven people to depression when they realize that retirement might not have been such a great choice after all, when that very thing they did was what they are/were, or so they believe. In a way it can be looked at as a kind of ‘ego death’ that some can’t handle.

Though I’m not against any artist deciding to throw the towel in, if they feel it will benefit them mentally.

Regardless of what an artist’s public might think. Like most occupations/callings, it’s difficult to break away from what one has strongly identified with for so long. It’s driven people to depression when they realize that retirement might not have been such a great choice after all, when that very thing they did was what they are/were, or so they believe. In a way it can be looked at as a kind of ‘ego death’ that some can’t handle.

Though I’m not against any artist deciding to throw the towel in, if they feel it will benefit them mentally.
I agree and I do understand, but that's my issue - it just becomes 'the norm', it's routine, the albums become vanity projects. At that point it's not about art anymore and they don't treat it as art. When I think about the effort that went into the Smiths albums; the level of agonising M did over the fonts, the lettering, the precise angles and crops of the photos, the run-out groove messages, the headache of getting permissions from the cover stars - it makes the slap-dash, two-verse dreck of the last few years seem even worse. There is a point where any artist has said everything they've got to say and they should have the dignity to recognise that.

Moz should self release as a thank you to the ten fans he has left.
Who are the 10? UnstableTrina? Or does she count as 4 with her Walter Ego?
Sh*tfiled? Babs? Mad Marianne? Bonfire Richy? Collins? Who else ?
He’s no label so even if he was in a studio no one will sign him up now. There is only gloom, which makes me sit at home alone crying into my can of Tab. I think I need a Marlboro menthol 🚬
I am going to listen to LIHS and Cali Son and remember the good ol’ days.

I agree and I do understand, but that's my issue - it just becomes 'the norm', it's routine, the albums become vanity projects. At that point it's not about art anymore and they don't treat it as art.

When I think about the effort that went into the Smiths albums; the level of agonising M did over the fonts, the lettering, the precise angles and crops of the photos, the run-out groove messages, the headache of getting permissions from the cover stars - it makes the slap-dash, two-verse dreck of the last few years seem even worse. There is a point where any artist has said everything they've got to say and they should have the dignity to recognise that.

In comparison, his approach now is different. We could have an opinion on those differences ‘till the cows come home. But we don’t really know his opinion on how he feels about his approach to his art now in comparison to how he approached it earlier.

It seems he feels he still has something to say, but how he says that now, some may not like the direction he’s chosen. Fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom