Smiths-Inspired Fiction.

interesting description -never heard of it before..
where did you get the lee ranaldo foreword info? for me as a sonic youth fan..thts sounds interesting....

edit:
just saw that the is book was already mentioned in 2006 here...with a bit more info who write the stories:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/archive/index.php/t-65227.html

first post
Bill Poster
November 24, 2006, 03:04 AM
I don't know if you are aware of this, but in 2008 the English publisher Serpent's Tail will be putting out an anthology of short stories called Paint A Vulgar Picture. It's part of a six-book series (others being bands The Fall and Joy Division and The Ramones and Velvet Underground, as well as one other I can't recall) which is full of stories based on Smiths songs or songs titles. An incomplete stories listing (which may change slightly in the case of one or two of the authors) runs like this:

Girl Afraid (or Hand In Glove) - Richard Evans
Reel Around The Fountain - Nick Johnstone
This Night Has Opened My Eyes - Peter Wild
Back To The Old House - Graham Rae
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - Laura Hird
Sweet And Tender Hooligan - Charlie Williams
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (or How Soon Is Now) - Helen Walsh
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before - Willy Vlautin
Death Of A Disco Dancer - Nick Stone
I've Started Something I Couldn't Finish - Matthew Berninger
London (or Rusholme Ruffians) - Matthew David Scott
This Charming Man - Mike Gayle
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - Kate Pullinger
Cemetry Gates - Mil Millington
Paint A Vulgar Picture - Scarlett Thomas
Asleep - Rebecca Ray
Bigmouth Strikes Again (or Shoplifters Of The World) - James Flint
Nowhere Fast (or What She Said) - Jeremy Sheldon

Other authors include Toby Litt, Matt Beaumont and Nic Kelman.

I know 2008 is a way off, but I just thought you might be interested and would know to look out for it; I'll post this again far closer to the time.

Cheers.
Matt Beaumont
isnt there a certain mr beaumont who is working for the NME?
but didnt he have a different first name...mark beaumont?

Last edited:
Also Willy Russell's Wrong Boy is Smiths inspired novel and Jo Brand is writing one.

There is also
'Meat Is Murder' by Joe Penrice

'Girlfriend In A Coma' by Douglas Copeland - not really inspired by The Smiths, but uses quotes and sayings from Smiths and other 80's bands.

Jukebox Jury

There is also
'Meat Is Murder' by Joe Penrice

'Girlfriend In A Coma' by Douglas Copeland - not really inspired by The Smiths, but uses quotes and sayings from Smiths and other 80's bands.

Jukebox Jury
only judging by the TITLE there are more:

Mark simpson`s "the queen is dead"

"this charming man" by marian keyes

there are more around right?

btw: joe pernice also has several appearances in the tv series GILMORE GIRLS
(mostly as a singer but in a few episodes he acts also)

Last edited:
''A Taste Of Honey'' by Shelagh Delaney rips off loads of Morrissey lyrics:D

Jukebox Jury

Sorry for being pedantic, Meat is Murder is not a fiction, it's about the analysis of the album and author is Joe Pernice, not Penrice.

http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/Article.aspx?id=8426

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=63707

Half an apology offered.....
Yes it is Pernice (the half apology) and yes it is fiction (the half where you apologise);)

It is a story about a characters infatuation with a girl and with The Smiths. On the bottom of the back cover it says....
''Joe Pernice is........... This is his first work of fiction''.
It even states that early in the details about the book, that you linked in your post!

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
There is also ''Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'' by Andrew Collins.
it is a detailed 'diary' of his student days in the 1980's where music played a big part of that life. Peppered with plenty of Smiths / Morrissey mentions.

*Sits back and waits for Kewpie to tell me off for mentioning 'Andrew Collins'*:D

Jukebox Jury

this sounds like a cool concept. I'd be willing to give it a read!

Review
"'Excellent' Independent on Sunday 'Innovative and imaginative' Time Out 'A triumph' Word Magazine"

Product Description
A charming man betrays friends in the name of celebrity. Love blooms by the cemetery gates. A sour rain falls on the new young Queen divine. Shoplifters of the world unite in order to tug a reluctant aardvark out of a hole. A sweet and tender hooligan swings a three-bar fire like it was a demolition ball. The middle classes rush and push to rid the world of chavs. The death of a Miami disco dancer inspires a new TV show. A naked birthday rendition of 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' is seen across the globe. Cranked up trannies tout their trade as long as there is light. This is what happens when you paint a vulgar picture.

Half an apology offered.....
Yes it is Pernice (the half apology) and yes it is fiction (the half where you apologise);)

It is a story about a characters infatuation with a girl and with The Smiths. On the bottom of the back cover it says....
''Joe Pernice is........... This is his first work of fiction''.
It even states that early in the details about the book, that you linked in your post!

Jukebox Jury

I stand corrected.

This sounds like sheer genius!

Also Willy Russell's Wrong Boy is Smiths inspired novel and Jo Brand is writing one.

Jo Brand's writing fiction inspired by the Smiths? I thought it was a Mozzer biography! Must have misread something...

"this charming man" by marian keyes

there are more around right?

btw: joe pernice also has several appearances in the tv series GILMORE GIRLS
(mostly as a singer but in a few episodes he acts also)

There is also Sweet And Tender Hooligan by Ian Pattison, which I found a while ago in Oxfam. I haven't read it yet. :)

[Bo)

i was wrong a bit of morrissey mention is there too...
The Queen Is Dead takes the form of an exchange of letters between two gay writers: Simpson, based in Britain, and Zeeland in the US.
With both of them in love with Marines who do not return their affections, Zeeland reveals himself to be a kind, insightful, and generous “straight man” to Simpson’s relentlessly driven comic, as their letters cover their sexual and romantic exploits, their cats, their lives as writers, and their love of Morrissey.

some articles on this book
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2001/jan/20/society
http://www.dermod.moore.name/bootboy/queenisdead.html

i remember another book of him (not saint morrissey) where he goes on about morrissey too

Last edited:
What about the awful Girlfriend In A Coma (which constantly references Smiths lyrics/titles in embarrassing sixth-year-with-a-crush fashion) by Douglas Coupland? And Sweet And Tender Hooligan by Ian Pattison is a great, fun, sick book.

hmmm

What about the awful Girlfriend In A Coma (which constantly references Smiths lyrics/titles in embarrassing sixth-year-with-a-crush fashion) by Douglas Coupland? And Sweet And Tender Hooligan by Ian Pattison is a great, fun, sick book.

Have you actually read other people's posts on this thread?

Back
Top Bottom