Official Manager Statement regarding Morrissey’s health (January 26, 2024)

D6F4A7EB-137A-4C94-842C-C316837ACEA1.jpeg

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you hear the Marr thing? Maybe I'm totally assessing him wrong but I really don't think he would ever do that, because it would be totally ridiculous.
This post was the first I've even heard of this 'rumour', so it sounds like total BS to me.

Where did you hear the Marr thing? Maybe I'm totally assessing him wrong but I really don't think he would ever do that, because it would be totally ridiculous. He has enough artistic integrity. He didn't like Rick Astley doing his tribute act and from his perspective he doesn't need someone to sing the songs, because he does it himself. Maybe they aren't close anymore as far as the public knowledge goes, but I don't think he would ever do that to the Smiths legacy (and because of that not to Morrissey) and the way they approached things. Never in a million years (and I really hope I'm not proved wrong here). And I also think, when push comes to shove and something is indeed very wrong with Morrissey health wise he would be respectful. Old bonds like theirs never die completely.
I am also stunned to read this. JM is already playing Smiths songs with his band and singing them himself or inviting the occasional guest. Add to this that he can’t share the stage with Andy anymore, probably has no interest in inviting Mike back, and that all attempts to reunite Morrissey & Marr have failed.
So leave the tribute nights to the real cover bands please.

For once, he is actually ill. He has suffered a breakdown and is undergoing treatment.

Believe me, don’t believe me, I don’t care.
Recovering from a breakdown will very likely take more than two weeks, especially for someone so sensitive as Moz. It might mean no touring this year at all, but I want to be optimistic. I hope he remembers that there are people who love him and wish him the best. Releasing one of the albums could cheer him up. Maybe he will reconsider some of his music strategies. Moz clearly needs a better music management, perhaps it can get him a new record deal. Major labels are focused on young and disposable products these days, he is an artist who speaks his mind - not a format. He should stop chasing them for his own sake. Moz can do well without them due to his fan base and some promo help from a PR agency. It’s not all lost…he just needs to change the ways he deals with things

Before Jimmy Fallon, Morrissey was one of it not the most revered singer/songwriters on the planet. I'm not passing any judgement on "For Britain" or any of the political stuff, but this began his downfall. After this, his record company dropped him like a hot potatoes and then he was holed up on Moz-Central posting videos of right wing types (again, this is fine with me I could care less). His new record with a host of musicians said to be the best record of his career was shelved because of his fetish with Miley Cyrus. He then targeted the record executive at Capitol Records and tried to blame her when in fact the release of Bonfire had nothing to do with her at all and he offered her no apology. His next record with Alain is on the shelf with no release date insight and Alain is gone for good. Now, I think it is going to be harder to book an event given his cancellations and his recording career is in shambles. His current band does not seem to be that well liked and he plays the same old tired set lest that most people find boring. He has the worst press coverage of any artist known to man. I bet backup bands are hard to find, because they know he will cancel hours before an event. I am sure his current band is now looking for work. Yes a good long rest in Zurich is the best call he has made in a very very long time.
Well said (y). Just wish I had seen The Smiths when they were a band but I was in my early teens and parents wouldn't allow me. Wouldn't see Morrissey now due to controversial views though I think he is a good wordsmith.

Well said (y). Just wish I had seen The Smiths when they were a band but I was in my early teens and parents wouldn't allow me. Wouldn't see Morrissey now due to controversial views though I think he is a good wordsmith.
What views (supposedly) of his do you disagree with?

Recovering from a breakdown will very likely take more than two weeks, especially for someone so sensitive as Moz. It might mean no touring this year at all, but I want to be optimistic. I hope he remembers that there are people who love him and wish him the best. Releasing one of the albums could cheer him up. Maybe he will reconsider some of his music strategies. Moz clearly needs a better music management, perhaps it can get him a new record deal. Major labels are focused on young and disposable products these days, he is an artist who speaks his mind - not a format. He should stop chasing them for his own sake. Moz can do well without them due to his fan base and some promo help from a PR agency. It’s not all lost…he just needs to change the ways he deals with things

Any touring in future will have to start on a much smaller scale, until he's convinced fans, promoters and insurance brokers that he's reliable again.

Any touring in future will have to start on a much smaller scale, until he's convinced fans, promoters and insurance brokers that he's reliable again.

Maybe he should start with festivals (not headlining), so if he doesn't show up, it's not such a big deal.

I saw him at a festival in 2021 so you may not know what you’re talking about.
Ah shoot, yeah I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, I only know "old news" about Morrissey. I remember in an old interview that he does do festivals but prefers to not do them because not everyone in the crowd is there for him... Something along those lines. Im glad he's doing them anyway. Reminds me of how, back in The Smiths days, he talked in an interview about music videos being a waste, and now he does all sorts of music videos. Kinda similar.

For once, he is actually ill. He has suffered a breakdown and is undergoing treatment.

Believe me, don’t believe me, I don’t care.
At least this is more difficult to check than the lie about dengue in Mexico.

Or at least so far he hasn't been spotted in a bar in LA a few hours after cancelling shows, like that time he alleged "food poisoning."

But, like the boy who cried wolf ...

By the way, dengue cases are really out of control in Brazil this summer. That excuse would be plausible if he came to Sao Paulo, but he would have to face crowds in Mexico City, Lima, Bogota, Santiago and Buenos Aires before. Such an excruciating schedule for two weeks.

Ok, so now resting time is officially over (being stated as two weeks) 😜
Just kidding, but if anybody from the Moz Camp is reading on here: We need an update, any news etc., we're all starved at the suspense!

... Reminds me of how, back in The Smiths days, he talked in an interview about music videos being a waste, and now he does all sorts of music videos. Kinda similar.
Yeah when he made those quotes I always took it to mean he was just wary of them, the lack of control - having to delegate so much to others. Seemed to be one aspect of the pop world he was unsure of, until Tim Broad came along perhaps. I know there was some missteps - especially perhaps with some of the boot-boy imagery. Now looking a bit like a historical record.
It's great seeing the fan made mosh ups with classic scenes snipped up and put to different songs. Some great ones out there.

Moz_BoyRacer.jpg

Moz_BoyRacer2.jpg

Yeah when he made those quotes I always took it to mean he was just wary of them, the lack of control - having to delegate so much to others. Seemed to be one aspect of the pop world he was unsure of, until Tim Broad came along perhaps. I know there was some missteps - especially perhaps with some of the boot-boy imagery. Now looking a bit like a historical record.
It's great seeing the fan made mosh ups with classic scenes snipped up and put to different songs. Some great ones out there.

View attachment 101506
View attachment 101508

I suspect he felt he wasn't attractive enough for videos & Tim made him feel good.

I suspect he felt he wasn't attractive enough for videos & Tim made him feel good.

Why would you say something like that? Morrissey was very conscious of his inherited good looks from the get-go. Check Autobiography and interviews. His career boasts more classy portraits and visual footage than most people ever got. Morrissey's always been ready for the camera.

If Marr is planning a Smiths tour without Morrissey, then that’s just ridiculous. No one can sing those songs except Morrissey. Otherwise, they mean nothing. Those are his words, his lyrics, and it’s just not the same when someone else is singing them - including Marr himself. Yes, they’re his songs as much as they are Morrissey’s, but in a different way. Does he think he’s the reason why the Smiths are such an iconic band? If so, he has another thing coming because if Morrissey had decided not to be apart of the Smiths, they would never have made a difference. That is fact.😔
Marr has a clear enduring habit of leaving Morrissey in the lurch and of having no qualms about hanging him out to dry before gloating over it. Smug is the name.
Where did you hear the Marr thing? Maybe I'm totally assessing him wrong but I really don't think he would ever do that, because it would be totally ridiculous. He has enough artistic integrity. He didn't like Rick Astley doing his tribute act and from his perspective he doesn't need someone to sing the songs, because he does it himself. Maybe they aren't close anymore as far as the public knowledge goes, but I don't think he would ever do that to the Smiths legacy (and because of that not to Morrissey) and the way they approached things. Never in a million years (and I really hope I'm not proved wrong here). And I also think, when push comes to shove and something is indeed very wrong with Morrissey health wise he would be respectful. Old bonds like theirs never die completely.
:tears:

I'd be very surprised if Johnny is planning to play full shows of Smiths songs with another singer. He has enough new material of his own and he can sing Smiths material himself or with the occasional 'guest'. Why would Johnny 'eclipse' himself in that way? Even just to 'hurt' Morrissey it would be a very strange decision.
We also don't know if Morrissey went to Mike Hinc's funeral. Or Johnny. My guess is it was probably a small private ceremony for close friends and family. Both Moz and Johnny will no doubt have sent flowers. Surely if both of them had been there a photo would have leaked out?

Roger O Donnell of The Cure/Producer of England is Mine. Facetious?

I can't find who wrote this warm lengthy reflection, building on Roger O' Donnell's sentiments, and ending with these words:

A Call for Compassion

As Morrissey takes time to focus on his health, the outpouring of support from fans and peers serves as a poignant reminder of the importance of compassion and empathy. In an industry often marked by glamour and excess, moments of vulnerability humanize even the most iconic figures.

The music community, with its rich tapestry of voices and stories, thrives on connections forged through shared experiences and emotions. As Morrissey navigates this challenging chapter, may his journey toward healing be met with kindness and understanding from all who admire his artistry.

Why would you say something like that? Morrissey was very conscious of his inherited good looks from the get-go. Check Autobiography and interviews. His career boasts more classy portraits and visual footage than most people ever got. Morrissey's always been ready for the camera.

Marr has a clear enduring habit of leaving Morrissey in the lurch and of having no qualms about hanging him out to dry before gloating over it. Smug is the name.

I can't find who wrote this warm lengthy reflection, building on Roger O' Donnell's sentiments, and ending with these words:

He referred to himself as ugly in an early interview & there's an anecdote in autobiography when he didn't like the way he looked on a tv monitor.

The harsh truth of the camera eye... 👀

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom