"Nobody Loves Us" #1 in 100 Most Underrated Indie Rock Songs - Mandatory

I have always wondered how he selects his singles; it seems like so many perfect opportunities have been missed. I adore this man, but sometimes it seems as though he throws giant boulders on his own path and then sits down in dismay, wondering why he can't proceed.
lynnda

In the Smiths, Morrissey and Marr both made decisions about singles. This made a lot of sense. Marr was a musician, a songwriter and a composer. Morrissey is none of these things. He's just a singer and a lyricist, so he urgently needed someone to help with musical decisions.
Since the Smiths Morrissey has made all the musical decisions, despite being a non-musician (his words) and a non song composer. And that is simply why he has made so many idiotic mistakes. You'd have to be an absolute musical f***wit to think that Dagenham Dave is better than Nobody Loves Us, or Roy Keen is better than Lost.

I love "Never Played Symphonies" and "Playing Easy to Get". Some of Morrissey's greatest songs with the word "Play" in the title. I also love "Found Found Found." That insight about someone who's never seeming to be scheming just gets me everytime.

Moz wrote Nobody Loves Us about my stepdad, they were outside a shopping centre in Manchester eating cake and my stepdad was like "oh look at us, stuffing our faces with cake, nobody loves us!" then when he heard the song he phoned him like "oh, did you nick that from me?" and morrissey was like "haha i did yeah"

Nice recognition for a good song - although I certainly would have given the nod to Wonderful Woman. I agree with what a lot of you have said concerning Morrissey's choice of singles. Or album tracks for that matter. If I collected my favorite 12-13 non-album tracks by Morrissey, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with something better than any of his albums. Even just with B-sides, cuts and sundry non-releases, possibly. There are not many artists you could say that about.

Re: Article: "Nobody Loves Us" #1 in 100 Most Underrated Indie Rock Songs - Mandatory

You'd have to be an absolute musical f***wit to think that Dagenham Dave is better than Nobody Loves Us, or Roy Keen is better than Lost.

couldn't agree more. either would have been much better single choices in their era. lost and nobody loves us are among his best solo songs.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd have to be an absolute musical f***wit to think that Dagenham Dave is better than Nobody Loves Us, or Roy Keen is better than Lost.

couldn't agree more. either would have been much better single choices in their era. lost and nobody loves us are among his best solo songs.

Re: Article: "Nobody Loves Us" #1 in 100 Most Underrated Indie Rock Songs - Mandatory

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is a f***wit simply because they prefer songs you don't. You have to be bit of a f***wit to think so.

'Nobody Loves Us' is one of Morrissey's best songs, including a-sides, b-sides, and album tracks. It was a shame it wasn't included on the original Southpaw album as it would have elevated it.

- - - Updated - - -

The other Moz songs that should have been on an album are 'Jack The Ripper' and 'I've changed my plea to guilty'. Crazy that they weren't on an album. As an aside: The rendition of 'Jack The Ripper' on the 'M in Manchester' dvd was the concert highlight, both aurally and visually.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if, for the next tour, Morrissey would let his fans submit a list of their favorite 17 songs. It would be interesting to see how similar, or completely different, those potential set lists would be. Of course, if M ever agreed to that, we know that he would instead pick the most obscure songs just to be contrary; then he would assure us that this was what the people wanted. Most people would expect this; he can be devilish; yet, there would be some poor bastard asking "who the f*** picked Asian Rut?" Anyway, it is of course a subjective list, but I would be curious to see the outstanding favorites.

I Can Have Both.

Moz wrote Nobody Loves Us about my stepdad, they were outside a shopping centre in Manchester eating cake and my stepdad was like "oh look at us, stuffing our faces with cake, nobody loves us!" then when he heard the song he phoned him like "oh, did you nick that from me?" and morrissey was like "haha i did yeah"

Suuuure.

the first line is of Dagenham Dave I find it amusing

' Heading the clouds with a mouth full of pie'

Nobody Loves us, should be on Morriseys best lyrical top 10 songs, it's good musicly but thinking of the live versions I heard, or can hear
via bootlegs when and how many times, I have it, and hear it when I want to, but never comes near the CD version while lots of great studio songs do better live, or not I mean they sound OK though have to say I rather listen 19 times Nobody loves us live, than 'fatty' . Alma Matters is a grower, wsn't special than but over the years, and played it live this tour, it's a good song, not like fatty, why not 'we hate it' than his worst single in his solo carreer, and also playing it live too. The story is old, but it goes on

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if, for the next tour, Morrissey would let his fans submit a list of their favorite 17 songs. It would be interesting to see how similar, or completely different, those potential set lists would be. Of course, if M ever agreed to that, we know that he would instead pick the most obscure songs just to be contrary; then he would assure us that this was what the people wanted. Most people would expect this; he can be devilish; yet, there would be some poor bastard asking "who the f*** picked Asian Rut?" Anyway, it is of course a subjective list, but I would be curious to see the outstanding favorites.

Here's the list of the top 100 songs from the biggest ever fan poll (done in 2008 but very little from 2009 got on the subsequent one).
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/83646-The-Moz-Smiths-Top-100-FINAL-RESULTS!!

1) There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (1986) 9,89

2) Everyday Is Like Sunday (1988) 9,59
3) Still Ill (1984) 9,57
4) I Know It’s Over (1986) 9,56
5) Suedehead (1988) 9,55
6) The Queen Is Dead (1986) 9,55
7) Now My Heart Is Full (1994) 9,55
8) Speedway (1994) 9,54
9) This Charming Man (1983) 9,50
10) Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (1984) 9,50

11) The Headmaster Ritual (1985) 9,48
12) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (1989) 9,46
13) Rubber Ring (1985) 9,43
14) Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself (1994) 9,42
15) Panic (1985) 9,41
16) Reel Around The Fountain (1984) 9,41
17) Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before (1987) 9,40
18) Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (1987) 9,39
19) The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (1985) 9,38
20) That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore (1985) 9,36
21) Hand In Glove (1983) 9,32
22) Bigmouth Strikes Again (1986) 9,31
23) Well I Wonder (1985) 9,30
24) Shoplifters Of The World Unite (1987) 9,29
25) How Soon Is Now? (1984) 9,28
26) Jack The Ripper (1992) 9.26
27) Late Night, Maudlin Street (1988) 9,24
28) Cemetry Gates (1986) 9,24
29) William It Was Really Nothing (1984) 9,22
30) Trouble Loves Me (1997) 9,14
31) Half A Person (1987) 9,14
32) Hairdresser On Fire (1988) 9,14
33) Asleep (1985) 9,12
34) Seasick, Yet Still Docked (1992) 9,10
35) The National Front Disco (1992) 9,09
36) November Spawned A Monster (1990) 9,08
37) Will Never Marry (1988) 9,03
38) I Want The One I Can’t Have (1985) 9,02
39) Nobody Loves Us (1995) 9,01
40) First Of The Gang To Die (2004) 9,00
41) The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (1994) 8,97
42) Irish Blood, English Heart (2004) 8,97
43) I’ve Changed My Plea To Guilty (1991) 8,97
44) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours (1987) 8,95
45) What Difference Does It Make? (1984) 8,95
46) Handsome Devil (1983) 8,93
47) Sister I’m A Poet (1988) 8,92
48) Girlfriend In A Coma (1987) 8,91
49) Nowhere Fast (1985) 8,90
50) Life Is A Pigsty (2006) 8,90

51) Tomorrow (1992) 8,87
52) Sweet And Tender Hooligan (1987) 8,86
53) Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now (1984) 8,84
54) Piccadilly Palare (1990) 8,83
55) Stretch Out And Wait (1985) 8,82
56) Paint A Vulgar Picture (1987) 8,81
57) Disappointed (1988) 8,81
58) You Just Haven’t Earned It Yet Baby (1987) 8,77
59) Rusholme Ruffians (1985) 8,76
60) I Won’t Share You (1987) 8,74
61) Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (1986) 8,73
62) Girl Afraid (1984) 8,70
63) You’re Gonna Need Someone On Your Side (1992) 8,69
64) Frankly Mr Shankly (1986) 8,62
65) Sheila Take A Bow (1987) 8,61
66) I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday (1992) 8,60
67) Suffer Little Children (1984) 8,58
68) This Night Has Opened My Eyes (1984) 8,58
69) Is It Really So Strange? (1987) 8,58
70) What She Said (1985) 8,57
71) Spring-Heeled Jim (1994) 8,56
72) I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish (1987) 8,56
73) Let Me Kiss You (2004) 8,54
74) Back To The Old House (1984) 8,54
75) Unlovable (1986) 8,52
76) The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (1984) 8,51
77) These Things Take Time (1984) 8,50
78) Ask (1986) 8,49
79) I Have Forgiven Jesus (2004) 8,48
80) The Never Played Symphonies (2004) 8,47
81) Pretty Girls Make Graves (1984) 8,45
82) We’ll Let You Know (1992) 8,45
83) Southpaw (1995) 8,44
84) Sunny (1995) 8,44
85) Hold On To Your Friends (1994) 8,43
86) You’ve Got Everything Now (1984) 8,43
87) Alsatian Cousin (1988) 8,41
88) Friday Mourning (2004) 8,41
89) Jeane (1983) 8,41
90) Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference (1989) 8,41
91) My Love Life (1991) 8,40
92) London (1987) 8,39
93) Barbarism Begins At Home (1985) 8,39
94) I Know Very Well How I Got My Name (1988) 8,36
95) Lost (1997) 8,34
96) I Am Hated For Loving (1994) 8,34
97) I’d Love To (1994) 8,33
98) Maladjusted (1997) 8,33
99) Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning (1994) 8,32
100) Come Back To Camden (2004) 8,32

If you don't know Dagenham I suppose it might be quite a strange song. It's all about context and perspective. In Britain Dagenham is known as a lower middle class town/suburb populated, in no small part, by aggressive knuckle dragging tossers. Stop me if I generalise...

Maybe it has improved since I was last there. It hasn't. It definitely hasn't.

I don't know an American equivalent. Camden, NJ? Dunno.

Here's a broad version of the sort of east Londoner Morrissey is referring to in the song. Loadsamoney!

http://youtu.be/SgUYUOGvVZM

"Shut your mouth, tree!"

I think that you make a very important point about the cultural context of this song; I wasn't a fan the first time that I heard it because I didn't get all of the references; but, I have grown to appreciate it more after carefully listening to the lyrics. It still isn't in my list of favorites, but I don't hate it. If I were to pick my favorite "scorned" Morrissey song, it would be "The Boy Racer"; he just looks so miffed in that video, and he's sexy when he's angry. As for an American counterpart to Dagenham Dave, I don't think there is one particular correlation, again because of our different cultural references. When I think of a knuckle-dragging, barely literate, overly-opinionated, uninformed, uncultured, swaggery, vain, motor-obsessed, musclehead who believes himself to be god's gift to women, I would go with a Jersey Shore type. Camden is unfortunately a much sadder story. Anyone who lives in the Philadelphia/ Southern New Jersey area avoids it at all costs because it has highest murder rate in the entire country. So, you only come back to Camden if you want to score drugs, get gang-raped, or have your dismembered body parts dumped in the Delaware River. Thanks as always for the insight.

lynnda

Re: Article: "Nobody Loves Us" #1 in 100 Most Underrated Indie R

Nobody is a f***wit simply because they prefer songs you don't. You have to be bit of a f***wit to think so.

i don't think it comes down to personal preference. some songs/books/movies are simply written better than others. it's not taste. it just is. taxi driver or the tourist? you tell me? some writing is good. some is shit. you don't have to be a genius to get that concept.

... When I think of a knuckle-dragging, barely literate, overly-opinionated, uninformed, uncultured, swaggery, vain, motor-obsessed, musclehead who believes himself to be god's gift to women, I would go with a Jersey Shore type. ...

lynnda

There is a female equivalent in the UK and she usually stands in Morrissey's front row, is from Wales and thinks she is god's gift to Morrissey. And she lies a lot.

Morrissey loved her adoration and her presents.

It is one of the types of women who stand out if you go to the UK to visit. There are others, but this one, quite a mystery, makes you wonder where she comes from. Obviously thinks she gets her way, but doesn't really get anywhere. Works at Morrissey concerts however. I gather it is the type who mates with the blokes in the video. Perfect match.

So you should be careful if you want to impress Morrissey, because he LOVES that type.

i don't think it comes down to personal preference. some songs/books/movies are simply written better than others. it's not taste. it just is. taxi driver or the tourist? you tell me? some writing is good. some is shit. you don't have to be a genius to get that concept.
No, I can't agree. Sorry mate.

I think that you make a very important point about the cultural context of this song; I wasn't a fan the first time that I heard it because I didn't get all of the references; but, I have grown to appreciate it more after carefully listening to the lyrics. It still isn't in my list of favorites, but I don't hate it. If I were to pick my favorite "scorned" Morrissey song, it would be "The Boy Racer"; he just looks so miffed in that video, and he's sexy when he's angry. As for an American counterpart to Dagenham Dave, I don't think there is one particular correlation, again because of our different cultural references. When I think of a knuckle-dragging, barely literate, overly-opinionated, uninformed, uncultured, swaggery, vain, motor-obsessed, musclehead who believes himself to be god's gift to women, I would go with a Jersey Shore type. Camden is unfortunately a much sadder story. Anyone who lives in the Philadelphia/ Southern New Jersey area avoids it at all costs because it has highest murder rate in the entire country. So, you only come back to Camden if you want to score drugs, get gang-raped, or have your dismembered body parts dumped in the Delaware River. Thanks as always for the insight.

lynnda

Yes indeed: the first time I saw the "Boy Racer" video featuring a sullen, bruised, fist-flinging Morrissey I had to catch my breath: painfully sexy.

An American version of "Come Back to Camden (NJ)" would be a riot: I think only Weird Al Yankovic could do it justice.

No, I can't agree. Sorry mate.

I agree, the enjoyment of music and movies is purely subjective, for every one of us that thinks Morrissey is a genius you'll probably find at least two people who think he's the opposite. There can be no best band or best movie, only favourites.

I agree, the enjoyment of music and movies is purely subjective, for every one of us that thinks Morrissey is a genius you'll probably find at least two people who think he's the opposite. There can be no best band or best movie, only favourites.
Quite true. And just because their taste doesn't chime with mine, it does not make them 'f***wits'.

There is a female equivalent in the UK and she usually stands in Morrissey's front row, is from Wales and thinks she is god's gift to Morrissey. And she lies a lot.

Morrissey loved her adoration and her presents.

It is one of the types of women who stand out if you go to the UK to visit. There are others, but this one, quite a mystery, makes you wonder where she comes from. Obviously thinks she gets her way, but doesn't really get anywhere. Works at Morrissey concerts however. I gather it is the type who mates with the blokes in the video. Perfect match.

So you should be careful if you want to impress Morrissey, because he LOVES that type.

I was only in the UK once (London for ten days), and fortunately, I only met very nice people. We have another one here in the US; I call her the "staggering skank". These are young girls who go to concerts so disgustingly drunk, dressed liked hookers, wearing ridiculously high heels that they inevitably trip in. They always arrive late and then try to snake their way to the front, and of course they don't even know the words to any song except for the chorus of How Soon Is Now, which they manage to simultaneously slur and scream in your ear. I hate these pigs; not only do they try to push me away from a front row spot that required standing in line hours to get, but I'm also afraid that one will puke on me, some neon girly drink concoction that will probably dissolve my shoes. I like seeing young faces at Morrissey concerts, just not vapid little posers. Everyone knows that Morrissey is serious business, no lightweights allowed. MY MOTTO: IF YOU TRULY LOVE MORRISSEY, THEN YOU NEED TO BE COMMITTED!

Yes indeed: the first time I saw the "Boy Racer" video featuring a sullen, bruised, fist-flinging Morrissey I had to catch my breath: painfully sexy.

An American version of "Come Back to Camden (NJ)" would be a riot: I think only Weird Al Yankovic could do it justice.

I know, I love when he glaringly delivers the line "he's just too good looking". I think to myself, yes, yes he is! I can never decide whether I prefer him as the shy, sulky poet or the defiant, clenched-fist angry man; one needs a tender hug, the other needs a firm spanking. Grrrrrrrrrrrowl. Now, back to "Camden" ; I was trying to think of some funny lines for a parody, but there is just nothing funny about Camden, NJ, except the smell.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom